Official ID thread

No idea if this is a moth or as I suspect a fly ?

MG_2649.jpg

No idea if this is a moth or as I suspect a fly ?

MG_2649.jpg

With the antenae the eye style and scales on the wings and furry body this looks like a moth probably one of the small ones and I am rubbish at IDing them.

Caught sight of this Dater or Dragonfly, does anyone know what it is exactly.No idea.jpg

# 1 is Oedemera nobilis (thick legged flower beetle) and # 2 is Malachius bipustulatus (red tipped flower beetle). The hoverfly looks like Xanthogramma citrofasciatum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good photos Nige, the first is a Heterogaster urticae (Nettle Ground Bug)and the second is an aphid.

Lovely set of photos Alf, it is Dipogon sayi which is one of the spider wasps.

Lovely set of photos Alf, it is Dipogon sayi which is one of the spider wasps.

Thanks Alby I have one of it checking out a spiders home in the wall it was on it did not go in

looking for the id of this caterpillar, it was about 70mm long.Pic taken with my iPhone caterpillar.jpg

Looks like one of the digger wasps to me Alf.

It is a male Ectemnius species I am told by Dave_W_1971 on Flickr possibly E. cavifrons the knobbly antennae are the clue to genus & gender. The knobbles are different on each species.

Here are a couple more shots

Wasp 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Wasp 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
I shot this the other day on my bin it is about 2mm long but I do not know what it is.

Unkown insect by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Unkown insect 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Both are 4 shot stacks handheld using a 25mm tube and Raynox 250 on my Sigma 105 and still cropped heavily.

Thanks Tim that did cross my mind but it is just so cricket shaped to me.

Thanks Bryn
Alby must have taken half of those shots
Yes the site was looked after by a chap called Bob Saville who used to send me live specimens from Scotland and l used to photograph them for him. Bob sadly passed away a few years ago now.

Last edited:
Not too sure Nige but they are an instar of some bug possibly a shieldbug.

Back