Official ID thread

I this is just another "Type" of hoverfly to my usual ?

by Cobra, on Flickr

Believe its Sphaerophoria sp. hoverfly
Thanks Bryn, (y)
I did a bit of a google after I posted that, I didn't realise exactly just how many species of hoverfly there are!

It seems the ones I normally see are Marmalade hoverfly's.

I didn't see the little fella until I got it up on the screen.
Any idea what it is?
037.jpg

Need help in identifying the butterfly, could not catch a pic with its wings open
BF1.jpgBF2.jpg

About 1cm ish. Any ideas?

It is a Lonchopterid - sometimes called pointed winged flies. Unfortunately the wing tips aren't sharp - so you cannot really see the distinctive wing venation where all the veins run pretty much unbranched and parallel from base to tip. The two very common species are Lonchoptera furcata and L. lutea - this is a female.

bug thing for id! by scilly puffin, on Flickr

The name "Window gnat" usually applies to Anisopodidae - especially the common Sylvicola fenestralis. This has long antenna, long legs and a much more complex wing venation with an obvious pattern of dark markings.

Sylvicola fenestralis.jpg

Hi all,

Here is the shiny new section for posting your pics for ID and information.

As many details/descriptions as possible would help track down information and help to ID your subject/s.

Also links to any info/pics to back up your answer would be great :)

There is a vast amount of knowledge between us and this is a great way to share and educate us all :)

Matt

:runaway: ID DATABASE AND USEFUL LINKS!!!:runaway:

A list of any sites used to confirm ID or that may help in future, keep posting links, I will keep adding them :)
General Database/sites.
Butterflies.
Flies.
Spiders.

Is this section limited to UK insects? Reason I ask is that I'm going to Malawi next week and would love help identifying the weird and wonderful things I shoot. Would be great to share them on here :)

Is this section limited to UK insects?Reason I ask is that I'm going to Malawi next week and would love help identifying the weird and wonderful things I shoot.
Of course its ok to post them (y)
As for posting in the ID section, you would probably be better off posting straight to the macro section, you'd get more views and I doubt there would be many on here
that could ID African insects, but you can always ask in the post of course.

Last edited:
Could anyone ID this please? I've had a quick google without success but not sure where to look.

The wife took the shot yesterday afternoon, it was on the side of her car.

Weather conditions were poor, it was blowing a gale and we'd not long had a snow shower, not ideal for it to be out and about?

Size was only small, about 10mm in length, cheers

ID.jpg

No answers as yet Phil. but the first thing that strikes me is that it appears to have only 4 legs?
insects have 6.
The thorax is very fly like and the eyes bee like. Not sure what's going on with the fuffy bum either..

Your photoshop skills are improving :D

Looks like the third pair of legs are just visible OOF in front on front of the head.

Do freshly hatched ones look sufficiently like but 'different' to the mature form? If so I wonder is this a new hatched Autumn Fly...also called a Face Fly???

Looks like the third pair of legs are just visible OOF in front on front of the head.
From the angle it wasn't clear if they were legs or antenna you could be right ..

Could anyone ID this please? I've had a quick google without success but not sure where to look.

Weather conditions were poor, it was blowing a gale and we'd not long had a snow shower, not ideal for it to be out and about?

View attachment 270225

It is definetly a fly - I can see the halteres - try the UK dipetria forum on facebook.

It is a Dung fly - Scathophaga stercoraria posing with his wings forward.

Thanks Alby (y)

I wouldn't care, now you said what it is, I think I've photographed them before a couple of years ago :facepalm:, .....it just looked odd with the wings forward, cheers

View attachment 270225
Its the Common Yellow Dung fly, Scathophaga stercoraria, male.

Apologies for another ID post :)

I love messing around with the Sigma 105 and recently purchased flash ring, nothing serious but I'm always amazed by what can be seen when cropped in.

This was taken on a double glazed window, it was tiny, maybe 3/4mm in length maximum.

Again, I've had a Google but struggle to know where to start and I'm just a bit curious, cheers

Fly.jpg

Apologies for another ID post :)

I love messing around with the Sigma 105 and recently purchased flash ring, nothing serious but I'm always amazed by what can be seen when cropped in.

This was taken on a double glazed window, it was tiny, maybe 3/4mm in length maximum.

Again, I've had a Google but struggle to know where to start and I'm just a bit curious, cheers

View attachment 274328

Phil it is a drain fly or Psychoda spp
Quite nicely shot too

Phil it is a drain fly or Psychoda spp
Quite nicely shot too

Thanks Alf, much appreciated, I've probably seen 100's but wouldn't have known where to start for an ID

Really, I should practice with slightly bigger subjects but I do like to see the detail the naked eye can't, cheers

Last edited:
i am terrible with names, i would like the ID of this fly
_OSR4413a.jpg

This critter climbing up the kitchen window looks like some sort of wasp to me, but can anyone confirm its identity?Blog-9.jpg

It is an Ichneumonid wasp - a very large group many of which are parasites of moth caterpillars as larvae.
Yeah it is an Ichneumonid wasp there are about 2500 species in Britain

look here for info

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/content/.../british-ichneumonid-wasps-id-guide.pdf
Thank you both. I do have a book of British wasps, bees and ants but there are so many of them and the id keys talk about things I know not wot of.

Alfbranch, your link takes me to a security page that says I have been blocked - certainly not for anything I have done as I have done nothing.

Last edited:
Thank you both. I do have a book of British wasps, bees and ants but there are so many of them and the id keys talk about things I know not wot of.

Alfbranch, your link takes me to a security page that says I have been blocked - certainly not for anything I have done as I have done nothing.

I have changed it and now it works for me I did it on my phone and it seems to have gone wrong

I am still blocked..

No, I am not, just daft. Now works fine. Looks to be very useful - certainly bett than my wasp, bee and ant book.

Last edited:
this mornings visitor to the greenhouse, not sure what it is
_OSR4875a.jpg

Back