Official ID thread

49969334086_706194b702_c.jpg

Is this a Yellow Dung Fly?
It is a Lauxaniidae. This is a family of small flies which, as far as I know have no common name and are generally found in damp and shady place such as woodland. Many are yellow like this (but a couple of genera are shinning black) and typically have these horizontal eye stripes. The larvae are little known but are thought to be in leaf litter. I cannot see enough of the key characters from this photo to take it any further.

Thick-legged flower beetle

I would appreciate a name for this critter. I think it must be a wasp of some sort (very thin waist) but that is as near as I can get. It was at Gibralter Point, Skagness yesterday. To the west was sand dune, to the east was salt marsh. It was on the footpath between the twowasp-4.jpg.

Last edited:
It looks like one of the parasitic Ichneumon ( Sp?) wasps
to me @john.margetts

Last edited:
I would appreciate a name for this critter. I think it must be a wasp of some sort (very thin waist) but that is as near as I can get. It was at Gibralter Point, Skagness yesterday. To the west was sand dune, to the east was salt marsh. It was on the footpath between the twoView attachment 283993.
Podalonia hirsuta, Hairy Sand Wasp. Sorry to pee on your parade Chris.:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Podalonia hirsuta, Hairy Sand Wasp. Sorry to pee on your parade Chris.:banghead:
Thank you, Ajophoto. I do have a book on the British Hymenoptera but there are so many of them and the keys require microscopic features. The book has the proud boast of nearly 300 illustrations which is next to useless.

Thank you, Ajophoto. I do have a book on the British Hymenoptera but there are so many of them and the keys require microscopic features. The book has the proud boast of nearly 300 illustrations which is next to useless.
It is very difficult to get an exact id but hopfully that is pretty close for you John.

Its a cracking image Laurence. (y)

Any idea's guy's
it was covered in white sticky stuff, very much like the "old school glue" in viscosity.
It was stuck on one of my Bonsai
Sorry about the quality it was only a couple of mm long, and the best I could do in breeze.

Arse end I assume

013.JPG

Top view

007.JPG

50073984938_5678a9f97a_c.jpg

These tiny whiteish/yellow insects have started proliferating in the garden. They seem extremely sensitive to my movements, they just scuttle to the underside of the leaf with amazing speed so it's not worth setting up my usual tripod based kit.
This is the best I could get hand held this morning.

50073984938_5678a9f97a_c.jpg

These tiny whiteish/yellow insects have started proliferating in the garden. They seem extremely sensitive to my movements, they just scuttle to the underside of the leaf with amazing speed so it's not worth setting up my usual tripod based kit.
This is the best I could get hand held this morning.
It is a froghopper nymph, on its way to adulthood. Nice photo btw.

Anyone know what this might be? Reminds me of a Ladybird larvae, but pretty sure it isn't, so some sort of larvae I'm guessing.... Size approx 5-6mm long on a thistle leaf...

mystery-bug-6474.jpg

Anyone know what this might be? Reminds me of a Ladybird larvae, but pretty sure it isn't, so some sort of larvae I'm guessing.... Size approx 5-6mm long on a thistle leaf...

View attachment 286938

Probably some sort of hoverfly larva is my geuss

Anybody have any ideas about what this small clutch of eggs/larvae will mature in to? They're approximately 0.7-0.8mm diameter and in France.
Cheers....Bob
p3934283744-4.jpg

Anybody have any ideas about what this small clutch of eggs/larvae will mature in to? They're approximately 0.7-0.8mm diameter and in France.
Cheers....Bob
p3934283744-4.jpg
A butterfly but I can't tell you what species

Back