Official ID thread

A butterfly but I can't tell you what species
Thanks Alf....I'll keep my eye on them and report back with caterpillars if they survive that long....they're in full sun and 30+ degrees each day.

50137808352_7e219498f2_c.jpg

Had an unrewarding morning in the park mainly because I didn't notice the wind and kept my shutter speed too low :oops: :$, managed to get this shot but I cannot ID the insect.

Last edited:
50140590473_50cce58cd4_b.jpg

Found this in a dead tree in the park, I can't identify the spider and I also can't quite work out what's going on, there seem to be too many legs for one arachnid!
It is spider exoskeleton not the spider

Another mystery bug, definitely looking more bug shaped, any ideas??? (Size about 5-6mm on a thistle leaf)

mystery-bug-6492.jpg

I've not been here for a while but am hoping someone can help me with this one. I assumed some sort of hoverfly by the way they were acting but I cannot find pictures of any with eyes like this. The flowers are ragwort and it is about 15mm (maybe up to 20) long if that helps.
DSC_7904.jpg

I've not been here for a while but am hoping someone can help me with this one. I assumed some sort of hoverfly by the way they were acting but I cannot find pictures of any with eyes like this. The flowers are ragwort and it is about 15mm (maybe up to 20) long if that helps.
View attachment 288984
It is a bee a cuckoo bee I think.
It has antennae and the eye shape mean it is a bee wasp or sawfly or hymenoptera.

Not to sure if I should post inside macro as this was taken on a 200-500 lens
Of course you can, the lens is irrelevant the forum is "Macro & close up" (y)

Sorry can't help with the ID though.

Ajophotog thanks for Id a rather macabre life cycle, had not noticed one before.

Cobra thanks for confirming OK to post, might post some more in macro section now.

Not sure what this poss some sort of Plant hopper maybe. Any help most appreciated. About 5mm in length it does have long antenna not seen in photo, found on Buddleia
EmptyName_1.jpg

Any ideas what this might be? Size about 2-3cm, had 4 distinct blocks of yellow/orange (hadn't noticed the little red bugs on it until I saw on the big screen.

mystery-bug-6601.jpg

Any ideas what this might be? Size about 2-3cm, had 4 distinct blocks of yellow/orange (hadn't noticed the little red bugs on it until I saw on the big screen.

View attachment 289677

Looks like a common sexton beetle a burying beetle
The hangers want a lift to the food

Last edited:
Probably not truly a macro shot but people on here will know.....
is this a female Emperor or a Migrant Hawker?
50340994173_2fac915e6c_c.jpg

The side markings on the thorax make me think migrant hawker

They are not present in the Emperor

Migrant Hawker 100% Laurence- I just posted this on your other thread :)

Les

Hi Alf, it's the larva of a Tortoise Beetle, they use their poop to as a shield to camouflage themselves against predators.

Back