Official Mike's Stupendous Pentax K-1 and K-3 III thread

Love those images Mike.

My K-1 came out to play this weekend and I hope to start posting images taken quite soon but here is a flavour;black redstart.jpg

A black redstart, it was quite some distance away. JPeg straight from camera (lens was D-FA*70-200) and I wasn't at the location to photograph birds. This is in Pellestrina, in the Venetian Lagoon, for the fishermen's huts (more of them for another time). Last time I was in Venice we had the Aqua Grande - 2nd highest tide recorded at 187cm, and I had the K-1 and the FA*28-70 and FA*80-200 for that trip. I already prefer the newer lenses that work perfectly in Program mode on the P50.

They were part-ex'd against the D-FA and D-FA* at SRS. Got a good deal by Chris, who happened to move them on very quickly as well...

Not after commission again are you?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:pentax:

Love the Marsh Tit Mike. I consciously don't photograph Blue or Great as they bore the hell out of me, as does the Chaffinch.

Can never resist a robin though...

I'm a sucker for a great tit.

Must admit I'm toying with the idea of selling my Pentax gear .... technology is moving forward at a pace and Ricoh aren't.
Not waiting for the next big 'reveal'? My Pentax gear is staying with me, for what I want it for it is supreme. For the other bits, I'll see where Nikon goes....

Well.... if Mike is going to give up on us K-1 users someone is going to have to keep the K-mount flag flying...

We were in Venice 2-3 weeks ago. Nice and quiet it was. Been several time but there is always something new to discover. And some itches I am stil desparate to scratch....
IMGP0005.jpgIMGP0029.jpgIMGP0096.jpgIMGP9859.jpgIMGP9893.jpgIMGP9971.jpgIMGP9888.jpgIMGP9872-2.jpg

This image looks down part of the Hatton Flight of locks on the Grand Union canal.
The line of the locks leads your eye to the distant tower of St Marys Church (12th Century) in the centre of Warwick.
K1 with the 24-70mm f2.8

Hatton to St. Marys-Edit by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Last edited:
The K-1 and 24-70mm make a great combination. (y)

Instead of selling my K-1 I ended up buying another with very low actuations so I sold my old one on Ebay.

The results with the 24-70mm look good so far - I think I had a bargain at the price I paid for it, although used prices are not strong.
I love that Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 though!

The results with the 24-70mm look good so far - I think I had a bargain at the price I paid for it, although used prices are not strong.
I love that Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 though!

TBH Pentax prices overall aren't that strong (apart from the 150-450mm and a few of the exotics))

It was a toss up between the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 or the Tamron 70-200mm I sold you but after selling all my Sony stuff I am feeling a little flush so may start looking for another one :LOL:

Managed to grab myself a Pentax K-3 MKIII off Amazon warehouse a couple of days ago, described as Used - acceptable with damaged box and small marks on the top and rear screens. Box was certainly damaged, it's held together with cellophane, missing the USB lead but the marks that were on it just wiped off. Put a file through shutter count and it read 0 so not even been used.

Miserable morning but anyway ...

Keyhaven
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Duck !!

Crow

Managed to grab myself a Pentax K-3 MKIII off Amazon warehouse a couple of days ago, described as Used - acceptable with damaged box and small marks on the top and rear screens. Box was certainly damaged, it's held together with cellophane, missing the USB lead but the marks that were on it just wiped off. Put a file through shutter count and it read 0 so not even been used.

Miserable morning but anyway ...

Keyhaven by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Duck !! by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Crow by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

I knew it was only a matter of time before you gave in on the K3iii - are you now going to be tempted by the new PLM version of the 16-50mm f2.8?

I knew it was only a matter of time before you gave in on the K3iii - are you now going to be tempted by the new PLM version of the 16-50mm f2.8?

No, too much at the moment, would be more interested in the 11-18mm but seeing as 99% of my photography is done with long lenses the 150-4500mm will probably be permanently attached anyway so the DA* 16-50mm 2.8 will probably do me.

Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro

Ladybird eating greenfly

I'm Vice Captain at my golf club this year - and it's our Centenary Year.
As a result we are having lots of special events.
Last Sunday we had a "hickory day" where 50 of our members went out with sets of hickory clubs, dressed in period clothes.
The shot of some of the Ladies whom played - I've given it a vintage type treatment.
Shot with the K1 and D-FA 24-70mm f2.8.

Ben, David & Pete.jpgThe Ladies in Sepia.jpg
The

So this afternoon I found out a Spitfire was doing a fly past of our local park where they were holding a big jubilee do so took the K-3 III and 150-450mm WR down to grab some photos. Lovely aircraft and it did a few passes before flying on to it's next venue so at that I left for home.

Anyway, got back, loaded the shots on the computer and ever single one was blurred.

Morale of this story ... don't try to be a smartarse and shoot prop aircraft at 1/125th (to get some nice blur) with 3kg+ of camera equipment at 450mm crop :rolleyes:

My excuse is I haven't done an airshow for about 3 years now and I am severly out of practice .... I'm also getting old.

Back