Official Mike's Stupendous Pentax K-1 and K-3 III thread

Well I'm sure very few people read this but sold the K-3 III yesterday and it will be off to it's new owner today. Shame really as it was a really good camera but a lot of money for a crop DSLR and after using mirrorless bodies recently I much prefer them so waiting patiently for the R7

The autofocus is much improved on the MKIII though, I was catching shots with it that I couldn't get the next day with the 7D MKII and 150-600mm Sport.

Back to the K-1 for the time being, I may get myself another K-3 III when they come down to what I consider a more sensible price.

K-3 III and 150-450mm

Tern Fishing
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Well I'm sure very few people read this but sold the K-3 III yesterday and it will be off to it's new owner today. Shame really as it was a really good camera but a lot of money for a crop DSLR and after using mirrorless bodies recently I much prefer them so waiting patiently for the R7

The autofocus is much improved on the MKIII though, I was catching shots with it that I couldn't get the next day with the 7D MKII and 150-600mm Sport.

Back to the K-1 for the time being, I may get myself another K-3 III when they come down to what I consider a more sensible price.

K-3 III and 150-450mm

Tern Fishing by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

What are you like!
(I’m loving the K1 - but not for birding)
I shot a lot of images at a recent special day at the golf club with the K1 and D FA 24-70mm. the club photographer said his Nikon setup was not in the same class.

Strangely enough my middle name begins with B .....

Nice and sharp ... whoever sold you that lens must be kicking themselves.

I wonder who that could have been ?
I know I paid “over the top” for it :sneaky:, but it’s a great lens.:ty:

I wouldn't say that, I have been looking for another and every one has been more expensive (and in rubbish condition).

I ended up buying another 60-250mm f/4 but although it's a great lens it's not full frame or f/2.8 so it won't hang around for long.

I’ve done a head to head comparison between the K1 with the Tamron 70-200 and the A7iv with the FE70-200 GM - I honestly cannot see the Sony setup being any better in terms of image quality (worlds apart on autofocus though).

My second steam train in 14 years .... hitting the station at 6.50am, next station at 7.10am ... I know just the spot so I did a bit of scouting a couple of days ago and it was perfect, I should be able to catch the train as it came into sight and get a full length shot as it went past with the smoke billowing out of the chimney.

Got there at 6.30am, picked my spot eventually and waited.

Carriages are there alright but where's the bloody steam train then !!!

Half a steam train by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just got back from a holiday on the Algarve (my wife thinks the main objective is golf) but I managed to spend some time with the K3iii and Sigma 100-300mm APO EX DG.
Although the autofocus is not the quickest (both lens and body), I believe some of the results are very acceptable. The Sigma is very sharp.

Black Headed Gull (Summer) by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Black Crowned Night Heron by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Black Crowned Night Heron by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

As per normal, these images are best viewed on either my Mac or Flickr!!

K1 +24-70:52550027620_39eb15d033_o.jpg52549849379_c90e620765_o.jpg

Couple from Venice... bit annoyed about the boat in the 2nd image...wasn't there earlier in the afternoon (but at least the idiots on the bridge had gone back to their boats/hotels).

For this type of activity the K-1 is a joy to use - I used all 3 D-FA lenses (15-30, 24-70 and 70-200) and my 77mm limited.

Nice image Malcolm.

Good to see the colours on the lapwing, you caught the light just right.

I was looking at a set of photos I took 4-5 years ago during a Kingfisher workshop... I was travelling light,,,,,, D810 + 80-400, D500 + 300/4 + 1.4TC and K-1 + DA300 + 1.4TC... Guess which images had the most 'pop'.....

Nice image Malcolm.

Good to see the colours on the lapwing, you caught the light just right.

I was looking at a set of photos I took 4-5 years ago during a Kingfisher workshop... I was travelling light,,,,,, D810 + 80-400, D500 + 300/4 + 1.4TC and K-1 + DA300 + 1.4TC... Guess which images had the most 'pop'.....
Impressive array of kit you were carrying - you’re obviously a strong chap!
It‘s got to be the K1 + DA300 - It is a Pentax thread :):pentax:

Correct!

Car has large boot (Saab 9-5) so not far to carry the stuff to the hide.. 80-400 has since been to Nikon to be serviced (and it is much improved) and I have the Nikkor 200-500. Both 300s have gone, but the intention is to get a 150-450 in the not too distant future. (Mike's was on sale at the wrong time for me).

Correct!

Car has large boot (Saab 9-5) so not far to carry the stuff to the hide.. 80-400 has since been to Nikon to be serviced (and it is much improved) and I have the Nikkor 200-500. Both 300s have gone, but the intention is to get a 150-450 in the not too distant future. (Mike's was on sale at the wrong time for me).

I‘m going the other way - I’ve just bought a DA*300 to supplement my 150-450 on my K3iii.

This Kestrel allowed me to take a couple of shots from the car as it was hovering roadside.
Unfortunately the light was awful, and this is the best I could do - I do like Kestrels.
Shot with the K3iii and DA* 300mm f4.

Kestrel.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Last edited:
This Kestrel allowed me to take a couple of shots from the car as it was hovering roadside.
Unfortunately the light was awful, and this is the best I could do - I do like Kestrels.
Shot with the K3iii and DA* 300mm f4.

Kestrel by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr
B
E
A
U
T
I
F
U
L
!!!

I noticed a few Kingfisher pics being posted on other threads lately and thought I would revisit a few I had taken in past years. I re-edited this one slightly as it looked a bit dark but think it holds up well against modern equipment. It was taken on a Pentax K5IIs with a Sigma 50-500mm lens in 2014.

Kingfisher
by Mike Pursey, on Flickr

Went out on Monday evening with my camera club, starting at Vauxhall and heading towards Battersea Park via the US Embassy at Nine Elms. Our president remarked that she'd never seen anyone in the Sky Pool, but I saw a shadow and confirmed someone was indeed taking the swim of faith. Anyway, Madame President and 1 or 2 others strolled closer to take photos from beneath while I concentrated on the embassy itself.

Anyway when I downloaded my photos last night I was quite happy that I did capture the swimmer from quite a distance with the K-1 plus FA*85/1,4. Only unhappy that I didn't follow the group. Apparently a very 'supple' young lady swimmer...
Swimmer in the Sky Pool at Embassy Gardens (1).jpg

In the late spring the Laburnum arch at Bodnant, South of Llandudno Junction on the A470, comes into life. Captured with the K-1 and gorgeous D-FA24-70... Unfortunately nothing I can do about the 'visitors'. This was taken late May, pre-peak, late afternoon. Optimum time methinks.

IMGP1681 Laburnum Arch Gardd Bodnant.jpg

I am not much concerned about the technical qualities of this picture., It's taken outside the Princess of Wales house in Kew Gardens on a nice sunny afternoon with blue skies.... There is a mojo quality with the K-1 I couldn't find in the D810. Pictorially, I am happy with the sequence of images I took at the moment - other days I would take the D810 and come back with nothing...(D850 is another level though, so Ricoh hint K-1 Mk3,....)

IMGP7824 Kew Gardens Flowers.jpg

Back