Official Mike's Stupendous Pentax K-1 and K-3 III thread

Prices on Amazon.com are a bit different than UK prices!! K3ii $716, D5500 $747, D7200 $1097...a significant difference! :)

More medium format users buy Pentax than Canikon!! :) I read somewhere that Pentax doubled their expected sales of the 645Z and are selling more than what the entire medium format market was before they released it! Not sure how true that is, mind you... Anyway, the 645Z is a huge success for them (ridiculously low price for very high quality) so who is to say that they won't have a similar success with the K1 (if it proves to be a top quality machine) and start breaking into the Canikon duopoly?

There's also a significant difference in £'s! Most members here are from the UK (.co.uk) so obviously I'm looking at the UK market.

Perhaps because Canikon don't target that audience lol. The k1 has competition in the ff market there's the big difference. I hope they do make a success of it.

I love the Pentax weather sealing - it just works so well in what is a pretty budget kit setup. I don't need full frame but if I ever get that itch to replace my K5 it's nice to know there's a proper upgrade out there rather than just the K3.

Only question would be whether the autofocusing is meaningfully improved. It's what really lets down the older Pentaxes IMO, despite otherwise loving the K5.

Probably. Would I try? No. Would I ever need to? That's the real question...... and the answer is.... no.

Rubbish, the real question was, is Twist stoopid man enough to video himself wrecking his D750?

Screen thing looks far too complicated to me anyway. I like to be able to tilt the screen up and down but don;t need the flippy out thing, that annoys me.

Last edited:
Screen thing looks far too complicated to me anyway. I like to be able to tilt the screen up and down but don;t need the flippy out thing, that annoys me.

Yeah. I'm impressed by the build because it would've been a question mark because of its movement abilities. Cool yes, overengineered and a little pointless, possibly.

Been wrapping my head round this beast as I've got some sensible camera cash coming my way but, much as a Ricoh fanboy that I am, it just isn't making sense to me.

Been wrapping my head round this beast as I've got some sensible camera cash coming my way but, much as a Ricoh fanboy that I am, it just isn't making sense to me.

I think as a camera it's pretty cool and it's 'cheap'. For me the issue is lenses and resale value if I decide I stuffed up. The problem for pentax is the stiff competition.

When they're in the shops, I'll take another look. Unless it turns out to be an IQ monster then all bets are off.

When they're in the shops, I'll take another look. Unless it turns out to be an IQ monster then all bets are off.

I think it'll deliver in that sense. Id like to try it but the af spec also looks meh. Thing to remember is that a grey d810 is 1600 ish and I'm much more likely to go that way tbh.

I think it'll deliver in that sense. Id like to try it but the af spec also looks meh. Thing to remember is that a grey d810 is 1600 ish and I'm much more likely to go that way tbh.
Yep, me too.

Surprised that there are not many more K-1 users here given it's feature set and price, it's almost like it's ignored completely!

Having recently also bought my first non Pentax DSLR in the shape of a D500, (which was also more expensive £1599 v £1729!), the differences are a bit crazy. The build of the K-1 is on another level and feels like some photographers were involved in the design of it, whereas Nikon must have sacked any photographers that were on staff given their design choices. Imagine the thought of the Main dial doing nothing in Aperture mode, just silly.

The above comment though highlights the main issues with the Pentax system as a whole, the autofocus system for moving targets (it's actually very good for stationary subjects!) and lens options. For most things I shoot, the K-1 is perfect and is currently used with

- D-FA 24-70 f2.8
- D-FA 70-200 f2.8
- D-FA 50mm Macro f2.8
- 100mm WR Macro f2.8
- DA*55 f1.4.

For my wildlife work I've bought a D500 and 400 VR with converters and I have to admit that I just do not gel with that camera, so much so that I must be one of the very few people who bought one when they didn't really want to and don't really enjoy it at all. Trouble is, it gets result my K-1 can't.

As long as you can get the lenses that you need this has to be the ultimate landscape camera for the price, see what DigLloyd has to say about it. The results are what matters and this camera definitely delivers very impressive image quality.

If you were a bit closer, you'd be more than welcome to have a play!

Surprised that there are not many more K-1 users here given it's feature set and price, it's almost like it's ignored completely!

Having recently also bought my first non Pentax DSLR in the shape of a D500, (which was also more expensive £1599 v £1729!), the differences are a bit crazy. The build of the K-1 is on another level and feels like some photographers were involved in the design of it, whereas Nikon must have sacked any photographers that were on staff given their design choices. Imagine the thought of the Main dial doing nothing in Aperture mode, just silly.

The above comment though highlights the main issues with the Pentax system as a whole, the autofocus system for moving targets (it's actually very good for stationary subjects!) and lens options. For most things I shoot, the K-1 is perfect and is currently used with

- D-FA 24-70 f2.8
- D-FA 70-200 f2.8
- D-FA 50mm Macro f2.8
- 100mm WR Macro f2.8
- DA*55 f1.4.

For my wildlife work I've bought a D500 and 400 VR with converters and I have to admit that I just do not gel with that camera, so much so that I must be one of the very few people who bought one when they didn't really want to and don't really enjoy it at all. Trouble is, it gets result my K-1 can't.

As long as you can get the lenses that you need this has to be the ultimate landscape camera for the price, see what DigLloyd has to say about it. The results are what matters and this camera definitely delivers very impressive image quality.

If you were a bit closer, you'd be more than welcome to have a play!

Thats a good lens lineup! I've been casting my eye at whats available,the 24-70 seems to be good, I've used several Tamron 24-70's (which this is based on) with little issue and the 70-200 looks great but not likely a lens I'd look to pay for!

Its really at the prime part I'm struggling, the 55mm seems well recommended but I'm struggling to see how well the Pentax Ltd primes (31/43/77) stack up v more modern glass like the Sigma 35mm f1.4.

Having read about the AF it seems to me that as long as it focuses well enough in low light for static objects then it would be fine for me, aside from the D750 I've never really had anything that was superb from an AF point of view and it seems this would be similar enough AF wise to the D800.

It's a shame you missed the black friday deals, 24-70 for £799 and 70-200 for £1199.

The Ltd's do have a good reputation and I had them years ago for crop sensors but hardly used them, just wasn't my focus at the time. Would definitely test the 35mm v the 31mm if I was you, there's a decade difference between them, not least the screw drive on the 31mm!

There is a Pentax Open Day at SRS today and tomorrow with some 'special' prices, would be worth calling them to find out what's on offer!

I've seen a few K-1s around - users have nothing but praise for them...

like you, I have a D500 (been a Pentax/Nikon guy for years) - specifically for birds and airshows. With the 80-400 AF-S it is phenomenal. Been pondering whether to get a D810 and/or K-1 - I have the lenses for FF (24, 28-70, 35, 50, 85, 100, 135 300 and the Limited Trinity) but not felt compelled to go for them....I am more inclined to go out with my K5 for walkabout purposes or D3 if I am doing stuff slowly that I lack the desire to spend £1600+ on something that only just trebles my MP count...

SRS just posted on their FB page that they have a £200 discount on the K1 this weekend. The voucher code is PENTAXK1

Simon.

Well I received the K1 that I ordered from WEX as an "open box" which was cheaper, although if I keep the K1 I'm tempted to return it and use the SRS offer to buy a new one instead (and support SRS).

Initial thoughts are that the body is excellent, seems well laid out, nice to use and the new fangled tilty screen is very useful, even the extra things like exterior lights for the dark and the control wheel allowing most main things to be done on the body are great.

Only two bits I'm not so keen on are the lack of a dedicated AF stick or buttons (having to two press to move the point) and the Viewfinder doesn't seem quite as nice to look through as some and seems a little too dark when showing information sometimes, but hey it works!

AF seems fine to me although I don't do much of any tracking shooting, I tend to be a single point man!

Here's where the rub is likely to be, I also picked up a used 24-70 (from WEX) and a couple of primes to try (from Amazon) so I could try and return what I didn't want to keep. So I've tried - Samyang 24mm, Pentax 50mm f1.4, Pentax 55 f.4 and the aforementioned 24-70.

I know the 24-70 is basically the Tamron 24-70 without VC and with potentially Pentax coatings and probably suffers from the same issues as its Tamron badged brother but I'm not too impressed with this lens, now in the past I've had to try a few copies of the Tamron so it could be a poor copy but it doesn't seem sharp enough v the "best" Tamron 24-70 I owned on Nikon.

This lens would be critical for me to keep the system so I may try another one and see if its better.

On to the good though - the "older" 50mm FA 1.4 is a cracking lens considering its small price, super sharp stopped down and easily up to the task of satisfying the 36mp sensor, I was a little surprised as I kind of expected the older lenses not to be so good, as when I've used older Nikon "D" glass on a D800 it wasn't great.

The 55mm f1.4 seems a great lens, again sharp and nice but at the price I'd sooner keep the 50mm f1.4 given its performance.

The Samyang 24mm seems a nice lens, not super sharp at f1.4 (which goes against what I've heard about the lens elsewhere) but I think mainly my manual focus ability was hindering it, seems like a good, cheap option for a good 24mm while I think about looking for a used 24mm f2 *

The performance of the 50mm FA 1.4 as enthused me as it suggests that the 35mm FA f2 could be a good, cheap option to cover off 35mm for now as well as I search for a cheap 31mm or a Sigma 35mm actually in stock!

The pixel shift mode is outstanding, I wasn't impressed with the artefacts showing when I loaded into Lightroom (was a lot of green bits) but remembered someone saying that Irident did a much better job and it certainly does, pixel shift images look amazing where it can be used!

Well I received the K1 that I ordered from WEX as an "open box" which was cheaper, although if I keep the K1 I'm tempted to return it and use the SRS offer to buy a new one instead (and support SRS).

Initial thoughts are that the body is excellent, seems well laid out, nice to use and the new fangled tilty screen is very useful, even the extra things like exterior lights for the dark and the control wheel allowing most main things to be done on the body are great.

Only two bits I'm not so keen on are the lack of a dedicated AF stick or buttons (having to two press to move the point) and the Viewfinder doesn't seem quite as nice to look through as some and seems a little too dark when showing information sometimes, but hey it works!

AF seems fine to me although I don't do much of any tracking shooting, I tend to be a single point man!

Here's where the rub is likely to be, I also picked up a used 24-70 (from WEX) and a couple of primes to try (from Amazon) so I could try and return what I didn't want to keep. So I've tried - Samyang 24mm, Pentax 50mm f1.4, Pentax 55 f.4 and the aforementioned 24-70.

I know the 24-70 is basically the Tamron 24-70 without VC and with potentially Pentax coatings and probably suffers from the same issues as its Tamron badged brother but I'm not too impressed with this lens, now in the past I've had to try a few copies of the Tamron so it could be a poor copy but it doesn't seem sharp enough v the "best" Tamron 24-70 I owned on Nikon.

This lens would be critical for me to keep the system so I may try another one and see if its better.

On to the good though - the "older" 50mm FA 1.4 is a cracking lens considering its small price, super sharp stopped down and easily up to the task of satisfying the 36mp sensor, I was a little surprised as I kind of expected the older lenses not to be so good, as when I've used older Nikon "D" glass on a D800 it wasn't great.

The 55mm f1.4 seems a great lens, again sharp and nice but at the price I'd sooner keep the 50mm f1.4 given its performance.

The Samyang 24mm seems a nice lens, not super sharp at f1.4 (which goes against what I've heard about the lens elsewhere) but I think mainly my manual focus ability was hindering it, seems like a good, cheap option for a good 24mm while I think about looking for a used 24mm f2 *

The performance of the 50mm FA 1.4 as enthused me as it suggests that the 35mm FA f2 could be a good, cheap option to cover off 35mm for now as well as I search for a cheap 31mm or a Sigma 35mm actually in stock!

The pixel shift mode is outstanding, I wasn't impressed with the artefacts showing when I loaded into Lightroom (was a lot of green bits) but remembered someone saying that Irident did a much better job and it certainly does, pixel shift images look amazing where it can be used!
Did you keep the K1 Chris?

Excellent, it looks like a cracking camera. Any thoughts on which zoom lens is best? I saw your comments on the 24-70 but I see there's also a slower 28-105.

Excellent, it looks like a cracking camera. Any thoughts on which zoom lens is best? I saw your comments on the 24-70 but I see there's also a slower 28-105.

The 28-105 seems very highly rated among the community but I managed to get my 24-70 working as expected by spending time on the AF micro-adjustment so its a keeper for me. As there isn't really a cheap or good 24mm option at this point the 24mm end of the zoom is important for me.

Also picked up a few other bits, 50 FA 1.4 which is a stellar performer and has convinced me to look for a 35 FA f2 lens as a good small prime for travelling, looking at picking up a 20mm f2.8 FA as well.

Used Tamron 70-200 f2.8 arrived today, its the older model (before the current USD one) but seems sharp enough for my use and frankly at the price was a bargain v the new Pentax 70-200 f2.8 lens.

anyone sharing photos of this? is it any good how does it compare?

I wouldn't recommend it for you Neil, the AF isn't likely to be up to your needs if you found both the XT2 and D750 lacking.
IQ wise its stellar though, easily the equal of a D810

This camera is on my hit list. I grew up surrounded by my dad's Pentax camera gear, and I've been very excited since they launched this FF body. It's a shame he didn't keep his lenses in a box somewhere, but still it feels right to buy into this system for me. It's just a question of when [emoji3]

This camera is on my hit list. I grew up surrounded by my dad's Pentax camera gear, and I've been very excited since they launched this FF body. It's a shame he didn't keep his lenses in a box somewhere, but still it feels right to buy into this system for me. It's just a question of when [emoji3]

I'm really enjoying it, the camera is great for what I shoot but I wouldn't reccomend it for any type of action, the AF just isn't equal to some of the newer Nikon's, works great in low light though I do with the AF points were a little more spread out!

Back