Official Mike's Stupendous Pentax K-1 and K-3 III thread

You're an army of 1.

24091130988_732d1c6dbd_b.jpg

Whilst I don't anticipate getting a K-1, impressive as it is, I'm more than happy with my 645Z and its lenses....onwards and upwards, I say.

...Feel free to post some pictures :)

Ok ;)

Stout - Little Titan

The Low lighthouse is one of three lighthouses in Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, England and the only one which is still active. It is a Grade II listed building. Built in 1832

Adventures at Night

The 2nd Severn Bridge illuminated at night

Hidden Landscape - Clun Castle

Early morning photographic adventure</a> in search of a hidden landscape around the ruins of Clun Castle in Shropshire, England.

A misty late morning blue hour made way to an explosion of fog and swirling atmosphere around the old castle ruins as the sun broke the horizon and warmed the cool of the night into the warmth of the day.

by Geoff Moore, on Flickr

Last edited:
The only frustration I have with Pentax is the AF tracking. So much so, I've bought a D500 for wildlife, and paired it with a 200-500. After disappointing results, the lens went back and I went out with the K-1 and DA 560mm to the local Nature Reserve for a couple of hours on Saturday. In poor light. Shooting between 1/125 and 1/250 at f5.6 and ISO between 1600 and 2500. Maybe I'm expecting too much of the 200-500 but I'm getting a 2nd copy delivered today, and it needs to be able to deliver shots like these, or its maybe a compromise too far.

Male Great Spotted Woodpecker
11709_1512338599.jpg

Female Great Spotted Woodpecker
11709_1512338678.jpg

Nuthatch
11709_1512338710.jpg

Blue Tit
11709_1512338739.jpg

Brown Rat
11709_1512338765.jpg

And last, but not least ......
11709_1512338794.jpg

The only frustration I have with Pentax is the AF tracking. So much so, I've bought a D500 for wildlife, and paired it with a 200-500. After disappointing results, the lens went back and I went out with the K-1 and DA 560mm to the local Nature Reserve for a couple of hours on Saturday. In poor light. Shooting between 1/125 and 1/250 at f5.6 and ISO between 1600 and 2500. Maybe I'm expecting too much of the 200-500 but I'm getting a 2nd copy delivered today, and it needs to be able to deliver shots like these, or its maybe a compromise too far.

I have used a Canon 7D along with a Sigma 150-600mm sport for quite a while now, I got fed up with Pentax AF tracking (or lack of it) years ago. I have looked at the D500/200-500mm combo a number of times but am seeing some inconsistancy with the Nikon lens so the Pentax 15-30mm I was asking about went by the wayside and I purchased a new Canon 100-400mm MKII.

The 7DII is on my radar now but I don't do much in the way of BIF so I don't need fast AF over the winter months therefore I will probably wait and see what the next Canon body is going to offer.

I will keep the K-1 and a few lenses for full frame but I'm in 2 minds about what to do with the K-3II and crop lenses

SRS thought my 200-500 was fine but thankfully gave me a refund without a fuss. My new one has been delivered an hour ago. Will calibrate and see what it can do at the weekend. That 100-400 gets great reviews, yet I don't know anyone using it. Other than one guy using the 200-500 (who swears by it), the majority are using 300mm f2.8 with convertors, which is a route I might end up taking. But I'll want a long zoom for my yearly airshow.

Like you, I'm wondering what to do with my Pentax crop lenses.

Do I make it 3 or 4?

Had mine nearly a year, and also bought a D810 in the meantime. Used the K-1 in anger in Cuba last month (not gone through the pictures yet) but first impressions of using it plus the 15-30 are pretty good. images zinged out of the LCD, especially the old american cars zooming along the Malecon in Havana.

Frustrations are: different button layout compared to the K-3.

I am also contemplating the unthinkable: selling the K3 and the DA/DA* crop lenses. And the FA* zooms :)eek:), I had always hankered after the 28-70 and 80-200 but realised very quickly the main limitation of both lenses, they are non-IF - a pain if you are using filters (and different filter sizes). Just ot get the DFA lenses.

As a usual singular Pentax user in photographic workshops I get regular comments about being a Pentax widow. I mention that during one of our regular club meetings a presenter commented that Pentax had WR but noone uses them, THAT'S BECAUSE WE ARE NOT SEEN! when it starts raining CaNikony users run for cover or shroud their cameras, and I say 'It's a Pentax! :pentax:

Anyone succumbed to the SRS deals?

I do want the 150-450 but I have the Nikkor 80-400 and already thinking about my next Costa Rica trip, and to get the 200-500 just for that alone....

As I have the DA* 16-50 and DA*60-250, FA*28-70 and FA*80-200 I have some very difficult choices to make if I want the DFA glass (24-70 and 70-200). The DA* is a good deal lighter than the FA/DFA. I thought earlier it would be nice if there was like a 16-35f4 option available, then I realise my Nikkor 16-35 is a bit of a beast.

Anyone succumbed to the SRS deals?
I very nearly pulled the trigger on the 70-200mm DA* was an amazing price, but really just couldn't justify it. I'm now saving up for next year! :) until then, means I have to carry my Canon equipment and alternative 70-200mm F4 IS L also! which is a bit of a pain tbf!

I was thinking of getting the Tamron 70-200mm alternative, although that's just £600 I could have save for the Pentax 70-200 ...

Last edited:
It's a hell of a struggle to justify getting the new D-FA/D-FA* glass especially when I have the range covered, but it's inevitable that if the K-3 range becomes history then the DA glass will have to be sold off piece by piece.

My other issue is that I have a lot of glass that I have wanted over the year - FA*24, FA*85 and the FA Limited that don't get much use.....

Indeed, hand holdable pixel shift should be nice, no tripod needed.
Seems they will also upgrade MKI bodies with the new board/processor for a fee as well.

Interesting, used the PS mode a few times with my old K1 but handheld would be excellent......

Just stumbled upon this thread and declaring another Pentax user to the fold, have been for years from a K1000 / ME Super / then a IST'd throu to a K10D / K5 / K5iis and a K1 plus in the bag a 645z,

I've also assisted a friend on Jersey swap from a Canon to a K3ii after using my wife's K5iis and feeling the quality not only in the feel of the kit but the images as well.

Ok ;)

Stout - Little Titan

The Low lighthouse is one of three lighthouses in Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, England and the only one which is still active. It is a Grade II listed building. Built in 1832

Adventures at Night

The 2nd Severn Bridge illuminated at night

Hidden Landscape - Clun Castle

Early morning photographic adventure</a> in search of a hidden landscape around the ruins of Clun Castle in Shropshire, England.

A misty late morning blue hour made way to an explosion of fog and swirling atmosphere around the old castle ruins as the sun broke the horizon and warmed the cool of the night into the warmth of the day.

by Geoff Moore, on Flickr

The detail and dynamic range (including the transition) is spectacular.

roll on upgrade season, and take my camera! Pentax!! Take it now! :)

It really does look very good, Pentax doing their old trick of taking the Sony sensor and out-doing Sony and Nikon with it.... wouldn't mind seeing that 42mp sensor from the A7rii/iii in one of these!

Back