Official Mike's Stupendous Pentax K-1 and K-3 III thread

It's a shame Pentax users aren't more active, some great Bird shots there. Some of us do still look ;)

So, as this is the go to place for all Pentax subjects on TP im looking for a little bit of info/guidance.

I keep thinking of getting the Pentax 70-200mm-f2.8. The longest focal length I currently have is the 105mm its quite a pricy purchase, my photography often takes me out in poor weather, and needing that little extra reach, any guys on here use the lens and what is your thoughts on it when paired with the K1?

I managed to have a go with it it at the photography show, and I know 3 mins is not enough time to make an informed decision, but I wasn't overly blown away by it, especially when compared to my 70-200L IS F4 canon eqiv. Alas there really isn't any modern day alternatives in the pentax line up. both the Tamron and Sigma, despite being much cheaper are reported to be excellent in their price range, but in terms of direct comparison on performance they lack somewhat etc ... and are considerably older in design/tech

So, perhaps I have answered my own question, an I should wait and see if SRS have a sale in the new. or.... Do I look at the 200mm * or 300mm *

Regards
Geoff

Last edited:
The Canon 70-200mm IS f/4 is possibly the sharpest zoom I have ever owned, I sold mine a few months ago and have regretted it ever since. The Pentax lens is actually very good, I found it sharp wide open @ 200mm and the WR is a bonus but it's bloody expensive and I rarely use that sort of lens (the 150-450mm being my most used). I did have a Sigma 70-200mm DG EX OS HSM f/2.8 from before I bought the K-1 so I kept that and if I ever have the need it's there for me to use. It's not as sharp as the Pentax but it's good enough for my use.

Test shot at f/2.8 on the K-1 while doing focus adjustment recently.

Pigeon - Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 Test
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

One of the dog, again wide open.

Finlay 2017

And one just messing around.

Echonasia - Sigma test at 200mm f/2.8

Thanks Mike.
I could save myself a few quid and get the Tamron. and put a weather coat on it. That way, I can indulge in getting the 1.4 50mm D FA just to photograph the night/sky and milky way :) -- finding any reviews on the 50 1.4 * for astro work is like a needle in a hay-stack.

The Tamron is screw drive (unlike the Sigma and Pentax) but a decent performer by all accounts.

As for the 50mm that looks a beast, wait for the Tokina Opera to come out next month then you should see some more reviews as it's basically the same lens apart from the Pentax coating apparently.

What about the 60-250mm f/4? not officially full frame but it is bar a little darkening round the edges and it's a brilliant lens.

Edit: Pentax have a 70-200mm f/4 on the roadmap but it seems the road is getting longer and slower every day so it may arrive by 2020.

60-250mm at 250mm f/4 on K-1 (again testing focus so nothing interesting)

Seagull

Last edited:
Thanks for the 'spanner in the works' suggestion Mike :)
A quick search looks like I can pick up a used 60-250mm f/4 at around £500 mark. I have considered this lens before, this could be the solution im looking for, i'm not expecting heavy usage of the lens in my ownership, but having that extra reach from time to time will be useful.... F4 vrs F2.8 is not an issue either, typically will be used on top of a mountain at sunrise, so more than adequate light and if not, will it will be on a tripod anyways so can extend to a few second exposure if required.

Good call on the DA*60-250. It's coming with me and the K-3 to Sardinia (and the FA40, FA100 macro, SA12-24 and DA*16-50), it's a fabulous lens and it has been used to good effect on my K-1.

Another option would've been LennyBloke's FA*80-200 2.8 on sale on PU, I bought one to keep me going until the D-FA 70-200 came into the affordable bracket and to take to Cuba - as the DA*60-250 was lighter the DA* came and the FA* left at home.

Good thing about the FA* glass on the K-1 - they really does confuse the hell out of Canon owners :)

Just tried to enrol on a walkabout in the East End of London with the Nikon Owner group (stay with me.,....)....organised by Grays of Westminster.... being a member does allow you to get better warranties than the standard on used items and it is a treat going into the shop.

Did ask them where can I get my D810 sensor cleaned, it looks as though an Ebola victim has blasted their entire lungs into the shutter box... I also asked them why my K-1 doesn't suffer from the same issue..... I've rarely had such filthy sensors on my Pentax cameras....

It's a shame Pentax users aren't more active, some great Bird shots there. Some of us do still look ;)

Hopefully I'll be able to put my K-1 to good use on Friday evening - I am doing a whole night photography workshop in London; usually it's my Nikon gear that gets taken but now that I have the K-1 it will be taken in preference to the D810. Unless I put the DA*300 on the K-1 you're not likely to get BIF or BOS (birds on sticks) with my Pentax gear thanks to my Nikkor 200-500 purchase (well, until K3iii comes out and SRS repeat the deals).

It's going to be a very interesting year product-wise from Pentax. Get your wallet ready
I hope not, I have far to many Pentax lenses now, pretty much all the focal lengths, lots of vintage lenses and just added the Pentax HD FA* 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW to the collection.

Back