Official Mike's Stupendous Pentax K-1 and K-3 III thread

Any chat on the K1 getting the sensor from the D850 or even sony A7r4 -36mp was top tier stuff in 2016 - but a little anaemic in 2021.

Been no rumors of a K1 replacement; all focus seems to be on the K3 replacement.
That said they've just released updates to some of their most popular full-frame primes (31/43/77) so they must have plans in the pipeline; personally I've never found 36MP to be an issue; although the 42MP sensor in the A7R2/3 is probably the sweet spot for me.

Been no rumors of a K1 replacement; all focus seems to be on the K3 replacement.
That said they've just released updates to some of their most popular full-frame primes (31/43/77) so they must have plans in the pipeline; personally I've never found 36MP to be an issue; although the 42MP sensor in the A7R2/3 is probably the sweet spot for me.

I've just got a 645z and totally in love with the layout and controls. I'd be curious as to what they do next.

I've just got a 645z and totally in love with the layout and controls. I'd be curious as to what they do next.

I miss my K1; I do keep looking occasionally as they are dirt cheap to pick up second hand; I haven't shot much at all in the past 3 years but there was something about the combo of the K1 and 31mm f1.8 that I just loved! - never tried a 645z; did tip my toe into MF with a Fuji GFX at one point; IQ was incredible but too rich for my blood!

I miss my K1; I do keep looking occasionally as they are dirt cheap to pick up second hand; I haven't shot much at all in the past 3 years but there was something about the combo of the K1 and 31mm f1.8 that I just loved! - never tried a 645z; did tip my toe into MF with a Fuji GFX at one point; IQ was incredible but too rich for my blood!

You should...camera isn't cheap but eBay the lenses and it's no worse cost wise than putting together a Sony full frame system ;)

How did I not know this thread existed!!

Remember K1 scored a massive 96 in the DxO Marks ratings and the dynamic range is can recover is crazy.

36mp is awesome, why would you need more? More pixels isn't the answer but better use of the pixels that are there. 36mp can print pretty darn big!

@Mike.P Are you leaving Pentax? Saw your kit listed over at PU

Yeah Mike, saw that also? Guess you still have a massive arsenal of gear even when all that listed is sold!

@Mike.P Are you leaving Pentax? Saw your kit listed over at PU

I have listed it but to be honest I would panick if someone wanted to buy it I think. It was bad enough when the 100-300mm f/4 and 300mm f/4 sold. :)

Yeah Mike, saw that also? Guess you still have a massive arsenal of gear even when all that listed is sold!

Not loads, have kept back the 150-450mm, 1.4x, 16-50mm, 50-135mm and 100mm macro because I know I will want to give the K-3 (3) a go when it hits a more realistic price.

Now that I have sold all my best lenses (bar a couple) ready for a swap to either a Sony A7R IV or Canon R5 I have decided to keep the K-1 for the time being :banghead:

It may not be a speed demon, fashionable or have a monster sensor but I love the output and enjoy using it.

I'm having a macro phase atm ... Sigma 180mm f/3.5 DG EX along with a Canon MT-E24EX twin macro light

Fly
by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

Proud Mum
by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

I used my K-1 recently, which prompted a bit of a firesale of barely used lenses. But not enough photography to warrant putting images on here.

Curlew looks lovely.

I have been neglecting my K-1 lately but bought it a new (old) lens to celebrate it being a weekday (I don't need much of an excuse to buy a new lens).

Anyway, I managed to find (thanks to someone on the Pentax forum) a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO DG EX lens at a pretty good price, these are as rare as hens teeth on Pentax mount and I have always wanted to try one. These are really just quick test shots as I have 14 days to return it so it will hopefully get a proper workout when the weather is better.

Anyway, that was just a bit of info incase someone somewhere is reading this thread apart from me :D

M5IMGP5785 by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

M5IMGP5798 by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

M5IMGP5803 by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

M5IMGP5786 by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

M5IMGP5806 by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

M5IMGP5807 by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Last edited:
I still read it Mike, even though I don’t have a K1. :police:

Why not amend the thread to be “Mikes Pentax thread“, surely there will be Pentax shooters who would then contribute? :pentax:

It didn't start out as my thread so I can't amend it ... there is a general Pentax thread somewhere down in the depths of the TP dungeon though.

I did a search before I made the suggestion - it didn’t come up with anything.

Pentax K-1 and Sigma 500mm APO DG EX f/4.5.

Hand held and wide open ... I was a bit uncertain about this lens when I got it last week as it seemed a bit soft compared to the Pentax 150-450mm I normally use with the camera (nearly sent it back) but after a bit of focus adjustment it seems pretty much spot on now.

IMGP5936
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Pentax K-1 and Sigma 500mm APO DG EX f/4.5.

Hand held and wide open ... I was a bit uncertain about this lens when I got it last week as it seemed a bit soft compared to the Pentax 150-450mm I normally use with the camera (nearly sent it back) but after a bit of focus adjustment it seems pretty much spot on now.

IMGP5936 by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
One can never ever get bored of photographing robins, watching robins or seeing images of robins.......

Blue or Great tits.....and chaffinches - another story..

In the meantime to my left.

K-1, lensless, not used since September
D810 not used in 8 weeks - has Nikkor 50/1,4
D500 with 200-500 not since October...

Bit of a sad state of affairs. Not done any film work either this year.

Back