Official photographers?

Edit My Images
Yes
Every month I go to our local show with girls from the yard who compete there, also my sister. I split myself between them as best I can, especially when they're usually in different rings. However I always feel really guilty as the proper photographer is obviously there. Obviously you're allowed to take photos of people you know, but what would the deal be if I were to take some of other horses and posted them online?
Also with having anxiety I don't get as many shots as I would like due to feeling guilty and not daring to get to a better spot!
It's only a small show that's held four months of the year but I really enjoy getting photos for my friends!
Sorry if this is a silly question but I don't want to be on his 'turf' if you get me!
Don't know how the quality will show up as they were uploaded to Facebook on my phone then downloaded! ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1466801349.038241.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1466801375.402522.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1466801397.409961.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1466801440.703838.jpg

If you have free reign at the events because of your job/sister and have an interest in photography then it is a good opportunity to practice and of course get feedback via this forum. As far as the official tog is concerned I would suggest having a quick chat with him to let him know who you are and what you are doing and ask him where he/she would prefer you to be/not to be. After all he is there to get the best shots for the competitors and having you in the backdrop may not be favorable. Also don't forget he is there to get the shots to sell and make money so if you get carried away snapping a lot of the competitors and start loading up on Flickr/Facebook then I suspect there may be a bit of conflict with said 'official tog'.
This forum is a great area to get help and advise on improving whereas shots loaded up to Facebook, etc. generally elicit 'great shot' comments irrespective of the actual quality of the picture (mostly because it is free and available). That is my advice re the 'on his turf' comment.
Please post some more pics and I am sure people will feedback info on how to improve. I have only done a handful of equine events so not really qualified to offer up much in the way of crit but seasoned pros may well chip in.

first the pics.. the main problem you have is the back legs/feet (OK hind hoofs or whatever) are on the ground and thus look like statues.. you need to be a second later and get them off the ground..

As Ady says speak to the official photogrpaher.. he will tell you more than us.. however if your not the type to approach him.. I would stick to what your doing and dont go uploading pics of other riders/horses as its not really the done thing..

Thank you both for your replies! I really appreciate it :)
Completely understand he's there to make money and I purposefully try to avoid his line of view! I think I would probably contact him, just to see his thoughts, I'm sure he's a decent guy!
However the ones I do take, if I have to stick to my friends, I will come here and definitely welcome feedback!
Thank you!

Kipax, thank you for the tip! I haven't had much experience photographing jumping (for this reason) so if I get the chance to do more jumping shots I will try and do that! Otherwise will have to practice at home when the kids are on school holidays as I'm the only one at the yard during the day!
How about bigger shows? How do people practice their show photography (or going to a bigger event such as Badminton) and not get tied up with the larger photographers? As I don't compete my own horse just yet, I really enjoy going out and watching others and would love to do more, especially dressage comps, but don't want to get it wrong!
Thank you again, and sorry for more questions!

Last edited:
strangely enough at bigger events with lots of photogrpahers its usualy every man for himself.. at small events like yours its the one official photogrpaher who gets his own way and you should act as suggested above. as for how.. its just a matter of going to as many as you can and practice.. thats about the only way to learn... there isnt a course (pardon the pun)

I would happily shoot away at an event that has an 'official photographer' and I'd also go about getting myself in where I deemed to be good spots for the right shots! What I wouldn't do is pass all my photos on to people at the events if he is there as an event photographer and making money on the sales (aside if it were a family member or close friend in particular that I'm photographing)

Having said that, it would be well worth having a chat with them, in my experience most professional photographers are happy to chat as long as you're not disrupting their flow. Sometimes they're taking photos for a particular person or overall photos for an event organiser rather than selling them to individuals, in which case sharing your photos would have no effect to their income for the day!

It would definitely benefit you to use a site to host your photos (if you don't already) as the quality of what you've uploaded will definitely have been diminished by re-downloading them from facebook.

I take pictures at most of the club events that I'm a amember of, I'm not that good but practice improves, and most people love a picture of themselves even if it ends up as just another facebook profile image. I give them away as I do it for my pleasure and couldn't justify charging for them anyway. For some of the bigger multi-club local events there is a local pro sports photographer who turns up. He's very approcahable and I've spent some time chatting with him getting advice and tips on how to improve. Whilst I will still take pictures when he's there, and he knows this, I never post them and always direct people to his site instead. His are always better than mine and I don't feel it right to give stuff away when he's there to make a living. I'm sure this is apreciated and he shows it by taking the time to help share his knowledge.

James, thank you that's very helpful! Completely understand about not just going round everyone saying, 'here look what i took' in fact one month I focused mainly on my friend and my sister wasn't too pleased as i didn't get that many of her, so I said go onto the official photographers page then and get some off him! That's the downside really, expectations from family!
I've emailed him explaining what I'm doing and why so will see if he replies as its another fortnight before were there again!
I've just reactivated my Flickr account so will use that in future :)

Shanks- again informative! Knowing that you guys would approach is giving me a bit of confidence! So if I get no reply I will have to pluck up the courage and it could lead to good things :)

3 Tips if you have not already had them:

1 - Shoot from a low POV (it does look like you have on the posted shots)

2 - This type of event is 1 of the few where I use 'rapid fire' to get multiple shots in order to pick the 'correct' take off shot and correct M formation of the horse

3 - Auto ISO is your best friend - select your aperture and shutter speed (if poss min 1/640th if not panning) and let auto ISO do its stuff!

first the pics.. the main problem you have is the back legs/feet (OK hind hoofs or whatever) are on the ground and thus look like statues.. you need to be a second later and get them off the ground..

As Ady says speak to the official photogrpaher.. he will tell you more than us.. however if your not the type to approach him.. I would stick to what your doing and dont go uploading pics of other riders/horses as its not really the done thing..

Hi

I am new to this, can I ask that I haven't managed to get this either. Because the jumps aren't that high, I have seen horses almost step other these jumps because they are taller than the jumps. I have sounded like a machine gun (and I was in the ring) but still not managed to get this.

So any suggestions?

Thanks Ady! Always handy to keep them in mind! Definitely agree with the rapid fire, also good in jumping incase you get a refusing pony with your niece face planting into her neck! Not pretty!

I find with these smaller jumps the shape they make can be quite awkward when I take the them which is another reason I need to practice with other riders as ours aren't doing huge fences when they're out!

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1467057939.757367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1467057954.623916.jpg

Just wanted to echo what a few have said on here about the official photographer at these events - please please please take the time to talk to them, introduce yourself, let them know what you're doing and, importantly, that you know they're here to do a job and make a living.....and you won't be doing anything to jeopardise that. I cover a number of sports events as an official photographer and have experienced both ends of the spectrum - people that come up to me at the beginning of the event to introduce themselves and explain why they're here, and people who do not say a word to me, are inconsiderate and get in my way. Suffice to say that the former get a ton of my help and support if they want/need it, including me making way for them at suitable points of the day so they can shoot from the 'best' spots. The latter, quite simply, get nothing.

If you're a guest shooter at any kind of event, the best thing you can do and the job that should be top of your list is making friends with the official shooter. It makes for an enjoyable, comfortable day and in lots of cases, can actually get you places you never thought possible. For me, it's actually led to a number of regular photography jobs too! You can never have too many contacts in this game!!

Thank you for your comment! Yes looks like I'll be revving myself up to talk to him! At least then I'll know where I stand and won't be upsetting him in anyway! Will also mention that I do direct the people to his site should they wish to purchase any!
Thank you very much, you've all been great and I'm sure I'll let you all know i get on! :)

Have just received an email from him and he says there's no problem with me taking photos of friends as long as I share them just with friends, and to pop and say hi next time :)

3 - Auto ISO is your best friend - select your aperture and shutter speed (if poss min 1/640th if not panning) and let auto ISO do its stuff!

I will disagree with both points made in 3) yes auto iso is good and i use it myself a lot..but it does put your camera in a semi auto mode which may not be desirable on a bright sunny day or any lighting thats constant. so 3) is poor advice for me..... as for 640 shutter minimum.. well i guess its a step up from 500 :(

As above speak to the pro photographer, I would also bin the watermark/logo as this gives the impression you are more business like in your attitude to your photography at the show........why would anyone watermark images for family and friends?

I appreciate this is a small local show but the issue is becoming a huge problem at upper level shows and events. Eventing Ireland issued this statement last month.

http://www.eventingireland.com/News...D/1027/PhotographersTraders-at-EI-Events.aspx

Kipax and Admirable, thank you both for your comments!
Interesting with the disagreement, I have to say I do play with the iso quite a bit especially on the sunny days, where it's usually about 200! Much prefer duller days!

Thank you for the point raised in the watermark! It's a good one! It's something im so used to doing but after your comment will stop!
The article was a good read too, and can see why there's problems!

Back