oh his a country boy at the age of 2

Its out of focus fella - may I ask what setting you used??

Les

I did soften it up but anyway thanks for your views

This is just my opinion so feel free to ignore.

The eyes must be in focus and sharp in a portrait. These eyes are not.

It's a shame because you had a potentially good shot here. Nice catch lights, nice oof background and charming subject. Composition wise - I'm all for a bit of head chopping but here it looks like an error rather than a compositional choice - you've just cropped the top of the hat. Also cropping below the knees but not including the feet. Maybe take a step back next time?

For me, if the eyes are out of focus, the photo is binned, I get annoyed and I put it down to experience. What focus mode were you using? I tend to use a single focus point and focus on the eye nearest the camera.

Hope that helps. If not feel free to ignore!

Keep shooting and hope to see more [emoji106]

Last edited:
I did soften it up but anyway thanks for your views
Ok - can I ask why you'd make it intentionally this soft? I will say it does have that vintage photo look to it (where nothing was ever in proper focus) if that's the look you were going for... and if so, I'd have removed the modern day logo from his jacket.
But overall for me I'd have to say it's just too soft. Sorry.

I've just posted a comment in 'Wedding Photo' the second paragraph of which is also relevant to this one.

I do not see why anyone would have a problem with this.
It is typical of snapshots taken by the thousands in times past.
as such it compliments the intention.

This is just my opinion so feel free to ignore.

The eyes must be in focus and sharp in a portrait. These eyes are not.

It's a shame because you had a potentially good shot here. Nice catch lights, nice oof background and charming subject. Composition wise - I'm all for a bit of head chopping but here it looks like an error rather than a compositional choice - you've just cropped the top of the hat. Also cropping below the knees but not including the feet. Maybe take a step back next time?

For me, if the eyes are out of focus, the photo is binned, I get annoyed and I put it down to experience. What focus mode were you using? I tend to use a single focus point and focus on the eye nearest the camera.

Hope that helps. If not feel free to ignore!

Keep shooting and hope to see more [emoji106]
thanks maybe its my lack of experience mate wont be long trust me I be good

Ok - can I ask why you'd make it intentionally this soft? I will say it does have that vintage photo look to it (where nothing was ever in proper focus) if that's the look you were going for... and if so, I'd have removed the modern day logo from his jacket.
But overall for me I'd have to say it's just too soft. Sorry.

ok I must of fd up on this one my mistake live and learn people live and learn :)

Back