Oh no, not another £20

Whenever I hand over a £20 note and they check it under the UV light to see if it's fake, if I get a £10 or £5 back I make a point of holding it up to the light and turn it over if I'm not in a rush.
I am sure I read some place, a customer was given a forged note in their money from a bank. While still at the cash window the customer noticed one was a forgery, but the cashier refused to change it, instead with held it for being a forgery. Hard to believe I know, as I am sure they could simply review the CCTV...

A never ending stream of £20s is the biggest PITA you can face on a till, it's a major problem for us as we only have small facilities (safes) and are only insured to hold a certain amount of cash on site. We physically cannot accommodate everyone who insists on going to the cash point, drawing out a £20 and then buying a bottle of milk and a paper with it, there just isn't the space for the change. That's without the added hassle of everybody expecting us to be able to provide them with pound coins for the beach car park.

Our till floats are £150, and the small change safe at the till only holds £200, of which £60 is in £1s and £40 in £5 notes, so it doesn't take many customers to completely screw things over.

A never ending stream of £20s is the biggest PITA you can face on a till, it's a major problem for us as we only have small facilities (safes) and are only insured to hold a certain amount of cash on site. We physically cannot accommodate everyone who insists on going to the cash point, drawing out a £20 and then buying a bottle of milk and a paper with it, there just isn't the space for the change. That's without the added hassle of everybody expecting us to be able to provide them with pound coins for the beach car park.

Our till floats are £150, and the small change safe at the till only holds £200, of which £60 is in £1s and £40 in £5 notes, so it doesn't take many customers to completely screw things over.

If I need £20 for my day then that is how much I need. So I will go to a cash point an insist on asking for £20. The cash point will then insist on giving me a £20 note.
If you are unlucky enough to be the next stop on my travels so be it.
Solve that problem, and your till float issue will go away.

It is not the customer's fault that ATM's distribute using whatever means they see fit. In your situation I would suggest the management adapt.

If I need £20 for my day then that is how much I need. So I will go to a cash point an insist on asking for £20. The cash point will then insist on giving me a £20 note.
It is not the customer's fault that ATM's distribute using whatever means they see fit.
I've always found ATM's to distribute a mixture. If you want £20 it will give two tenners, if you want £40 it will give a £20 and a £10. The only time it will fail to do this it kindly displays on the screen that it has run out of tenners.

I've always found ATM's to distribute a mixture. If you want £20 it will give two tenners, if you want £40 it will give a £20 and a £10. The only time it will fail to do this it kindly displays on the screen that it has run out of tenners.
If I want £40 and the machine gives me a £20 and a £10, me and the ATM operating company will be having words.

If I want £40 and the machine gives me a £20 and a £10, me and the ATM operating company will be having words.
Doh! I did have a similar occurrence years ago, I requested £20 from a Barclays ATM on a Saturday afternoon, it only gave me £10. Monday lunchtime I went into the Barclays near work to report it and request the £10 I hadn't received. They gave me the £10 then tried to charge me for being overdrawn because they didn't dis-count the £10 I was originally missing.

If you are unlucky enough to be the next stop on my travels so be it.
Solve that problem, and your till float issue will go away.

It is not the customer's fault that ATM's distribute using whatever means they see fit. In your situation I would suggest the management adapt.

Reminds me of this old advert

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C-sBxt0ioU

Contactless is brilliant for these small amounts. Yesterday I had to run an errant and visited three shops each a relatively small amount, quick tap of my Phone and finger print scan and off we go. Retailer happy, I am happy not having my pockets filled with change, and a super quick transaction.

Contactless is brilliant for these small amounts. Yesterday I had to run an errant and visited three shops each a relatively small amount, quick tap of my Phone and finger print scan and off we go. Retailer happy, I am happy not having my pockets filled with change, and a super quick transaction.
I think that is the thing that keeps setting my missus's phone off. She has her card in a bag next to her phone, it makes a funny noise now and again :thinking:

Top Cat invented contactless swipe payments way back. As evidenced here 0:16 seconds in.View: https://youtu.be/NToYkBYezZA
I never understood why they called the show Boss Cat on UK TV though. That worried me as an 8 year old.

Edit: Mystery solved after all this time.
"When the cartoon was shown on British television in the 1960s and 1970s the title was changed to Boss Cat because there was a brand of cat food named Top Cat. However, the theme song and show's dialogue remained unchanged and contained countless mentions of "Top Cat", making the title change pointless."

Once again, big business messes with kids heads! I've never been right since.

Last edited:
I think that is the thing that keeps setting my missus's phone off. She has her card in a bag next to her phone, it makes a funny noise now and again :thinking:
Shouldn't do by itself, well not on an iPhone. Don't know about Android with NFC

Shouldn't do by itself, well not on an iPhone. Don't know about Android with NFC
She has the Nokia Lumia, if the card is near her phone, her phone makes a funny noise. We assumed it is trying to connect with the card, it only makes that funny noise when card is close to phone..

Switch off NFC unless you actually use it for something on the Lumia. I found no use for it on my old Lumia.

This Luddite is still very suspicious of this type of technology

besides

It seems that fingerprints are not as unique as first thought.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/14/why-your-fingerprints-may-not-be-unique/

Two identical biological twins could have the same DNA but their fingerprints will be different. There is 100 years worth of prove that fingerprints are unique !

Nothing really new in this article other than a book plug. Mike Silverman now does defence work (Poacher turned Gamekeeper) What the article doesn't tell you are the cases that where fingerprint evidence he defended has been accepted by the courts.

Basically fingerprint evidence is safe. Crime scene and identifications are checked by three fingerprint experts. He points out human error and quality, defining points in all this which is relevant. A poor mark is a poor mark at the end of the day but no self respecting Fingerprint Expert would offer evidence on this if he/she could not back up her opinion. In the Mckie case which is mentioned, there is far more behind to this than the press are aware.

Last edited:
Two identical biological twins could have the same DNA but their fingerprints will be different
No argument here on that, as they are two totally different entities, ones chemical and one's physical

Basically fingerprint evidence is safe.
Basically most evidence is "safe" until disproved ..
Margin of error or collateral damage?

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be either of these 2 people.
In 2004, Brandon Mayfield, was wrongly linked to the Madrid train bombings by FBI fingerprint experts in the United States.
Shirley McKie, a Scottish police officer, was wrongly accused of having been at a murder scene in 1997 after a print supposedly matching hers was found near the body.

Last edited:
No argument here on that, as they are two totally different entities, ones chemical and one's physical

Basically most evidence is "safe" until disproved ..
Margin of error or collateral damage?

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be either of these 2 people.
In 2004, Brandon Mayfield, was wrongly linked to the Madrid train bombings by FBI fingerprint experts in the United States.
Shirley McKie, a Scottish police officer, was wrongly accused of having been at a murder scene in 1997 after a print supposedly matching hers was found near the body.

But logic tells you that two 'identical biological twins' with the same identical DNA would have the same 'identical' fingerprints - They don't which makes fingerprints unique!

What if fingerprint evidence proved beyond all reasonable doubt that that person was at the scene. What if the defendant lied and said they were never there. What if the jury believed the defendant and they found him/her not guilty - is that a miscarriage of justice ?

If fingerprint evidence was unsafe the Forensic Regulator and Director of the Crown Prosecution Service would not allow it.

The Mckie case is an interesting one. One of the Fingerprint Experts Fiona McBride who was originally lambasted in the Court for false identification was found to be completely exonerated and has been reinstated. You should know better, things that appear in the press do not always report the full story.

Last edited:
But logic tells you that two 'identical biological twins' with the same identical DNA would have the same 'identical' fingerprints
As I said one is physical one is chemical, so again, as it said, no, its no logical to assume that at all.

If fingerprint evidence was unsafe the Forensic Regulator and Director of the Crown Prosecution Service would not allow it.
Agreed, but there will always be a margin of error, where human intervention is involved.

But either way, going back to the point of the post, I said
This Luddite is still very suspicious of this type of technology
and always will be ;)

As I said one is physical one is chemical, so again, as it said, no, its no logical to assume that at all.

Agreed, but there will always be a margin of error, where human intervention is involved.

But either way, going back to the point of the post, I said

and always will be ;)

Well, there are no such things as identical twins - they don't exist. Fingerprints evidence in this country is safe with even more safeguards put in place since the 'flawed' McKie case.

With three people checking the comparisons human error is virtually eliminated.

Would I employ Silverman if I ever I committed an offence - probably, he may just get me off on a technicality !

Would I trust fingerprint technology on an iPhone - no !

The Mckie case is an interesting one. One of the Fingerprint Experts Fiona McBride who was originally lambasted in the Court for false identification was found to be completely exonerated and has been reinstated. You should know better, things that appear in the press do not always report the full story.
Is that right though? I thought the recent case was about whether McBride was unfairly dismissed because of the McKie case, not about whether the identification of McKie's fingerprint was correct or not. Not the same thing at all and, as far as I aware, the ruling that McKie's prints were incorrectly identified still stands.

Whether fingerprints are unique or not isn't really the issue though. It is whether they are reliably identified, either by machine (ie a phone) or person (the fingerprint "experts"). Bottom like is that both can get it wrong and have been proved to get it wrong time and time again. (same with dna tests, witness statements etc etc)

Not of this really the point though, I don't think there has been a payment method invented that cannot be fooled - it really comes down to what you find most convenient and an acceptable risk.

btw. Those saying they never use cash would have been screwed if they had been with me today. Some fault meant all car park ticket machines had gone to cash only mode - I wasn't getting out without my stack of £1 coins. ;)

going back to the original question, stores dont like keeping large floats for security reasons. its the same reason supermarkets will take cash from the tills throughout the day so that they dont have too much in.

Good managers advise their staff to ask for float change discreetly, and never yell all over the shop I NEED MORE CHANGE. Oh and never make the customer feel like they are causing inconvenience, even if they are. ;)

it really comes down to what you find most convenient and an acceptable risk.
My way of thinking is the more E-devices you use to connect to your funds, the greater the risk increase

Not so long ago, you were looked at as strange if you presented a credit / debit card for anything less than a tenner, and in fact I remember not so long ago, shops refusing cards
if the purchase was under a tenner.

Now I get looked at sideways, when I present cash for my Mac'D's breakfast!

What is it Bob Dylan said? :D

Oh and never make the customer feel like they are causing inconvenience, even if they are. ;)
I worked as a manager, briefly in retail some years ago, ( briefly was more than enough I can tell you!)
I hung a sign in the staff room that said, this job would be great, if it wasn't for the customers.

The regional manager thought it was funny as hell, but still made me take it down :(

I worked as a manager, briefly in retail some years ago, ( briefly was more than enough I can tell you!)
I hung a sign in the staff room that said, this job would be great, if it wasn't for the customers.

The regional manager thought it was funny as hell, but still made me take it down :(
So long as you smile at the customer as you greet them, and never let on how you really feel ;)

Is that right though? I thought the recent case was about whether McBride was unfairly dismissed because of the McKie case, not about whether the identification of McKie's fingerprint was correct or not. Not the same thing at all and, as far as I aware, the ruling that McKie's prints were incorrectly identified still stands.

Whether fingerprints are unique or not isn't really the issue though. It is whether they are reliably identified, either by machine (ie a phone) or person (the fingerprint "experts"). Bottom like is that both can get it wrong and have been proved to get it wrong time and time again. (same with dna tests, witness statements etc etc)

Not of this really the point though, I don't think there has been a payment method invented that cannot be fooled - it really comes down to what you find most convenient and an acceptable risk.

btw. Those saying they never use cash would have been screwed if they had been with me today. Some fault meant all car park ticket machines had gone to cash only mode - I wasn't getting out without my stack of £1 coins. ;)

If you'd have waited, and the cash facility had continued to be unavailable, you'd have exited for free as the car park operators would be obliged to permit your departure without payment. :)

If you'd have waited, and the cash facility had continued to be unavailable, you'd have exited for free as the car park operators would be obliged to permit your departure without payment. :)

indeed. Of they might have told me to go to to a cashpoint. Or to some obscure machine at the far side of the car park that I didn't know exist. Either way it would have wasted time. But as it was I put a £1 coin in the machine and was out of there in 30 seconds. Cash is convenient at times...... ;)

I went to the shop today and I handed over a £20, the cashier was really happy and not annoyed at all. Probably because my bill came to £21 odd. Although I did give the cashier a momentary little scare, I fished out two £20s but then fished out some coins :)

indeed. Of they might have told me to go to to a cashpoint. Or to some obscure machine at the far side of the car park that I didn't know exist. Either way it would have wasted time. But as it was I put a £1 coin in the machine and was out of there in 30 seconds. Cash is convenient at times...... ;)

Not arguing...I'd have only paid cash.

Compared to the alternative with a normal backcard they are a million times safer :) and the retailer doesn't get your card details ever. No skimming possible.
No, but there is an electronic fingerprint ( there's that word again :D ) and I'm sure it won't take long for someone ( probably a spotty 10 year old kid) to hack into it or receive the signal, with some ingenious device, that may or may not already exist.

I really would love to keep hold of my £20s, if the cashier is reluctant to take them. Besides my pillow is starting to get lumpy :rolleyes:

No, but there is an electronic fingerprint ( there's that word again :D ) and I'm sure it won't take long for someone ( probably a spotty 10 year old kid) to hack into it or receive the signal, with some ingenious device, that may or may not already exist.
Everything is hackable, security is layered like an onion. Using this kind of technology actually ads about three more layer around it compared to utilising a normal bank card. I'm quite happy to use it.

Turns out my latest debit card can be used for contactless payment. Can't remember the last time I spent £30 or less in a single transaction though.

I was at a Beerfest in Munich yesterday, and offered a 50€ note for a 4€ beer. Absolutely no problem as always, in this pre plastic society. The guy got rid of a few 20s too, so he was not bothered.

I was at a Beerfest in Munich yesterday, and offered a 50€ note for a 4€ beer. Absolutely no problem as always, in this pre plastic society. The guy got rid of a few 20s too, so he was not bothered.

I've used €500 notes in hotels in Hamburg and Frankfurt before and no one batted an eyelid. Was 2-3 years ago though.
I know they're pretty much verboten in the UK now.

Using this kind of technology actually ads about three more layer around it compared to utilising a normal bank card.
But each time you add an e-device no matter how good the security, you are adding another risk.
The Bank is at risk of being hacked by some smart arse,
add "home" on line banking and and that's 2 ways they *may* get your money.
Add pay by phone and that's 3 ways you are at risk...
As you ( or someone else) said awhile back its a calculated risk, and I prefer to keep mine to a minimum.

Back