Oil Seed Rape Sunset

This seems to have a strange filter effect on the top third of the image? It leaves a halo above the horizon that attracts the eye somewhat. The old vapor trails also are a bit distracting....Sorry...

Hi Kev

A nice capture - that black cloud really adds to the shot.

I think it deserves a tweak of saturation to lift the colour of the rapeseed and the sky a litle and perhaps a dodging in the top right corner as the darker sky is pulling my eye towards that part of the scene.

Thanks Rich, there was a layer of mist across the horizon which is giving this effect, I think. :)

Ah that explains it then. but the top of the sky does still look unnaturally dark? No filter or post work done at all?

I'm going to differ here and say that I think the sky looks absolutely bang on.
However, given that this is obviously a tail end sunset, the ground is too bright, especially in the middle/distant area.
With the sun so far set, there wouldn't be enough light available for the ground to be that bright.

Not sure we differ Ruth, just you are probably explaining it better. Given the shot, it looks odd somewhere. Either it was exposed for the land and compensated/filtered on the sky or done in post or exposed for the sky and brightened in the land.

Thanks for the comments . I was using a Canon EOS 1DS, Zeiss 35mm f2 lens with a Lee 0.6 ND grad filter. It was a 1 second exposure at f16 and ISO100. I didn't do much PP as I've just moved from Aperture to Lightroom and not confident enough to do much, yet.

Much improved sky Kev. It's difficult to get it spot on but definitely a big step in the right direction.

I think a crop of the bottom 20% (using the break in the rapeseed) would help balance the shot too!

The second edit is much improved. The colours are more natural and the photo is better balanced because of it. Glad to see the vapour trails gone too.

Back