OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

Been down that route of cutting up filters to replace the hot mirror but never used a UV one to do it - always used IR filters.
At the moment mines got a proper custom fit full spectrum in it (same as UV in effect) and I'm using 640, 680, 720, 760, 850 and 950 filters - mostly cheap Chinese ones of eBay.

Thanks, never tried it before but love the look of some IR photos. Will watch this thread with interest.
If I'm right, your D200 is fitted with a 720nm filter which will give some colour in the image - you can always get a higher cut off filter such as 760 or 850nm to get a different effect. Just search on eBay for the IR filter to fit your lens. You can go higher but not lower as any lower will be cancelled out by the filter fitted to your sensor and you will still end up with 720nm.
Not really worth going any higher than 850nm as nothing much changes above that level. 850 will give lovely white foliage and deep black skies with whispy white clouds.
Hope that makes some kind of sense ;)

Just a personal recommendation for cheap eBay filters - I use Zomei infrared filters shipped from China and cannot fault them - cracking filters for the money.
My G1 is full spectrum converted so I can use any filter on the lens - I tend to use 690 or 850 mostly but also have 640, 720, 760 and 950. The 950 is a waste of time as it's not really any different to the 850 but the 850 gives a better image.

If I'm right, your D200 is fitted with a 720nm filter which will give some colour in the image - you can always get a higher cut off filter such as 760 or 850nm to get a different effect. Just search on eBay for the IR filter to fit your lens. You can go higher but not lower as any lower will be cancelled out by the filter fitted to your sensor and you will still end up with 720nm.
Not really worth going any higher than 850nm as nothing much changes above that level. 850 will give lovely white foliage and deep black skies with whispy white clouds.
Hope that makes some kind of sense ;)
Very very helpful, thanks!

Some oldies, inconsistently processed -

565dfa8b393a07aa3f2e098c79689cb3-d6e572s.jpg

38f941e9f46916737c68e1865ebc14a7-d6e572a.jpg

ir_1_by_hairytoes-d5ffhlv.jpg

ir_2_by_hairytoes-d5ffhy4.jpg

Just a personal recommendation for cheap eBay filters - I use Zomei infrared filters shipped from China and cannot fault them - cracking filters for the money.
My G1 is full spectrum converted so I can use any filter on the lens - I tend to use 690 or 850 mostly but also have 640, 720, 760 and 950. The 950 is a waste of time as it's not really any different to the 850 but the 850 gives a better image.

my 720 is from zomei and its fantastic.

So, what wavelengths are you all using on here?
I've just bought a 590 filter to add to my collection - intrigued to try the 'goldie' IR look

720 and 590 for me, though my D80 is currently out of order. You know those times when u have finished putting something back together and find a spare washer... ? Think i missed a ribbon cable clip so it needs re-opening :( plenty to edit in the meantime however

Quick play tonight whilst dog walking.
Full spectrum Panasonic G1 with 680nm IR filter.
Channel swapped, auto levels and sharpened.
Infrared by Julian Provis, on Flickr

Anyone tried using other filters on a full spectrum camera?
Thinking green, blue, orange or yellow filters?
Wonder what they would turn out like :)

It's a converted D70, David kindly sent me a filter piece a year or two back and I then modded it...

I'm considering converting an X-E1 but that looks waaaay out of my comfort zone!

Last edited:
It's a converted D70, David kindly sent me a filter piece a year or two back and I then modded it...

I'm considering converting an X-E1 but that looks waaaay out of my comfort zone!

Must admit I bottled out of converting my own. Was particularly worried about the AF system.

Must admit I bottled out of converting my own. Was particularly worried about the AF system.
Mirrorless are probably best to convert as they use the sensor image to focus so it's always bang on.
A cheapish and easy one to do is the Panasonic G1 - mines full spectrum meaning I can use any IR filter on the lens and still handhold.
With mirrorless the IR image is on the screen before you press the shutter so you know exactly what you are going to get before you take it.
There are suppliers that will make the filter you require quite cheap too (rather than the extortionate prices you pay for a professional conversion)

Hmmm....Trouble is, as a Fuji user, I have suitable lenses and a 'spare' X-E1.

However Protech want £260...On top of my XE.

Now I know you have to take apart way more parts than on the D70 (and put them back again in the correct order) and I expect they'll do a professional job but that seems steep.

Protech are one of the best at conversions and I have no doubt they will do a first class job. My only problem is the cost. From the right source, the filters are only about £15 - £20. Having plenty of experience of doing it myself, most cameras can be done in an hour or so. Take into account postage and packing etc and that still leaves a fairly hefty hourly rate :)

Last edited:
Back