OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

I assume with g1's, you're simply removing the ir filter from the sensor to create a full spectrum camera? Or do you add a 640 to the sensor?
Take the IR blocking filter out and either add a full spectrum filter or IR filter as required to the sensor assembly.
Stock Optics sell all the filters you will need for conversion;)

Take the IR blocking filter out and either add a full spectrum filter or IR filter as required to the sensor assembly.
Stock Optics sell all the filters you will need for conversion;)

Great info. And it's straight forward?...

G1 takes about 30 minutes to strip down and rebuild once you've done it a couple of times. Just be careful of getting dust in the sensor assembly - right pain to get rid of!
Don't think I've ever spent more than an hour converting a camera.
Plenty of tutorials on YouTube to follow

Last edited:
G1 takes about 30 minutes to strip down and rebuild once you've done it a couple of times. Just be careful of getting dust in the sensor assembly - right pain to get rid of!
Don't think I've ever spent more than an hour converting a camera.
Plenty of tutorials on YouTube to follow

Thanks Julian. Any issues with hotspots on m4/3 lenses?

I've only tried the Panny 14-45 and theres no hotspot issue that I can notice - pretty good lens for IR

Thanks again Julian. And sorry to bombard you with more questions but having browsed stock optics site, I can see they do filters in various sizes and thickness's and sizes. I can't see any stock sizes that refer to m4/3 sensor size or indeed what thickness it should be. Do you cut down an oversize filter or am I looking in the wrong place?

I like the idea of converting a G1 and would probably opt for a 590 or 680 conversion.

Wow never seen this type of photography before.
The images in here are really cool.
Would love to try this one day.

Thanks again Julian. And sorry to bombard you with more questions but having browsed stock optics site, I can see they do filters in various sizes and thickness's and sizes. I can't see any stock sizes that refer to m4/3 sensor size or indeed what thickness it should be. Do you cut down an oversize filter or am I looking in the wrong place?

I like the idea of converting a G1 and would probably opt for a 590 or 680 conversion.
I'll find you a link for the correct size later when at home - they come in the right size now but before I used to buy a bigger filter and cut to size with a Dremmel tool. I think they've figured there's a market for this size filter now.

I'll find you a link for the correct size later when at home - they come in the right size now but before I used to buy a bigger filter and cut to size with a Dremmel tool. I think they've figured there's a market for this size filter now.

Cheers Julian. Would be great if you could. This is the link that Stock optics themselves sent me but everything on here is quite a bit bigger than a m4/3 sensor.

http://www.stockoptics.com/filters/long-pass-filters/camera-conversion-filters.html

Cheers Julian. Would be great if you could. This is the link that Stock optics themselves sent me but everything on here is quite a bit bigger than a m4/3 sensor.

http://www.stockoptics.com/filters/long-pass-filters/camera-conversion-filters.html
Hi Graham
Yes that's the correct page - the filters for the G1 are sized 22.5 x 17.5 x 3mm - can't say for other cameras as I've always 'made' filters for them. Pic below of a 720nm G1 filter and the part number.
Of all the cameras I've converted I think the G1 is my favourite so far - being mirrorless you get no issues with the focus mechanism and nothing needs recalibrating. Also, live view is a Godsend for infra red work:)

Excuse the fingerprints on the filter.

Hey Graham - I see you got your hands on a G3 for conversion- that should do nicely - the filter should be the same dimensions but I'm not sure about the thickness on that - they sometimes get thinner with newer generation cameras and I've seen some around 1mm thick but that's mainly on smaller sensor cameras.
Good luck with the conversion - take your time and it'll go well. Look forward to the results:)

Hey Graham - I see you got your hands on a G3 for conversion- that should do nicely - the filter should be the same dimensions but I'm not sure about the thickness on that - they sometimes get thinner with newer generation cameras and I've seen some around 1mm thick but that's mainly on smaller sensor cameras.
Good luck with the conversion - take your time and it'll go well. Look forward to the results:)

Cheers. G3 conversion possibly looks easier but struggling to find info regarding filter thickness.

Hey Julian,

You'll be pleased to hear your old G1 is getting lots of use in Birmingham city centre where I work.

Loving the B+W 090 filter i recently bought.

Terry.

A quick shot near Aston University one lunchtime with 760nm.

No critique please as has had no PP. Just a brightness and contrast tweak.

My favourite filter for B&W.

My camera is a Nikon Coolpix 5600, converted to 650nm by the OP of this thread. I process in Lightroom or the chromology (I think that's what it's called) action in PS

Ah cool - not sure what happened to David - he just seemed to disappear and was never seen again.

Thanks, I thought so too

That's the thing about IR in 'colour', although the more practice makes it slightly easier, you still don't know what you look like getting 'til you've swapped those channels.

Many times I've thought 'This will look great', only to be underwhelmed post swap. Then sometimes you give another pic a try and it works surprisingly well.

One from today.
Panasonic G1 Full Spectrum with a 680nm infrared filter on the lens.
Coaley Peak - Gloucestershire.

Ah cool - not sure what happened to David - he just seemed to disappear and was never seen again.

He lives local to me, nice bloke. He moderates a Facebook IR group and sells modified cameras via another FB page. I'm not sure why he no on get posts on here.

He lives local to me, nice bloke. He moderates a Facebook IR group and sells modified cameras via another FB page. I'm not sure why he no on get posts on here.
I think he may have been selling one or two too many in classifieds;)

Back