OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

I think he may have been selling one or two too many in classifieds;)

may even been buying up too many cameras on the cheap to convert and sell on at a substantial profit...

Certainly once he no longer had access to the classifieds his interest in this forum waned somewhat.

I'm really chuffed with this.

A Sense Of Scale by Ian, on Flickr

It's been a while since I went out with my camera. Indeed - this was from January and I only just uploaded the card this week. It's about half a mile from my front door. Village location, school on one side, train line on the other. Just this odd field. When I reloaded my LR profile that had gone walkabout, and did a channel swap in Photoshop, I was amazed. I've been trying so hard to prove to myself that I can get good landscapes without going somewhere "pretty" (lakes, wales, coast, waterfalls) and this is it.

Hi All,

Think of buying a Canon A480 INFRARED CONVERSION but not sure what filter is best to go for these are the options

470nm - Super Blue (Infrared with blue skies)

550nm - Goldie (Vibrant Coloured Infrared)

670nm - Colour (Ideal for Red/Blue Channel Swapping)

720nm - Monochrome (Black and White Infrared)

850nm - Deep Contrast (Increased saturation / contrast monochrome)

What is the best option for general shots I like monochrome but usually its colour shots I take

Regards

More lovely work in here :)

There was absolutely nothing to be had out of this sky with a normal camera - it just looked flat and featureless. The IR though picked up something!

Northwich Locks by Ian, on Flickr

And from today... Never thought I'd complain about a clear blue sky. More clouds please!

Northwich Flats II
by Ian, on Flickr

This is my first post in this thread, I stumbled across this thread last week and must say this is facinating. I'm loving this type of shooting.
Anyway I bought a Hoya r72 filter to try out on my pentax K5. Long exposure times, not much punch. I think the ir blocker In Pentax K5 is quite strong.
First attempt with filter,

IMGP6747 -sm_2 by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP6748 - smwbw_2 by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP6785edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP6806edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

I tried modified a sony h50 as it has night shot. Here is a before and after from that.

Before

DSC02772 by dr.shutter, on Flickr

after
DSC02777sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Lots of help needed
Derek

@Derek897 - some nice looking stuff there - liking the mono shots.
Infrared is a mystical thing and takes a bit of perseverance - the processing can be tricky at times but its worth dabbling in just for the fun of it;)

Hello again everyone,

Ive had a little rejigger of my IR equipment as i wasn't happy with the results from the 2nd D80 sensor. I took the sensor + board from the 1st camera and installed in in the 2nd along with an internal 590nm filter.

so i should be posting more regulary from now on

The below is a stiched shot pano with a 720nm filter screwed onto the fron of the d80

Sackler Crossing Kew Gardens
by David Baterip, on Flickr

Anyone shooting IR on M43 format? How successful have they been?

Could some one post a before and after pp shot to give some idea as to what your unedited ir shot looks like

OK. So this is the straight out of camera shot. It's one of my duffers from a Marbury trip the other day and I still have the raw file.
dylcTje.jpg

As you can see, the WB is miles off, and adjusting the blue slider to the left doesn't give me enough colour back. So I have built a custom profile in Lightroom which automatically applies a large blue swing to the WB slider *before* the actual WB sliders get touched. So the image below is *just* the WB profile applied. The WB sliders in LR/Camera raw are both in the middle - untouched.

You can get the profile editor (free) from Adobe here https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5494

This creates a Camera Raw profile (which is also used by Lightroom) which you can name yourself.

1w4T2hB.jpg

This is a much better starting point and is performed automatically as Lightroom recognises my X-E1 and applies the camera profile on import.

The photo then goes into Photoshop to have a channel swap, where I change the reds in the blue channel and the blues in the red channel as well as a levels tweak and hue/sat tweak. I have an action set up to do this and I then just go and change the relevant layers if they need tweaking (as every photo is slightly different)

This results in the following.
IXVGk5X.jpg

This then gets saved and put back in Lightroom so that I can tweak the blues and yellows to get that golden look. I also do my sharpening & NR & dust cleaning at this point.

The process is very quick now that I've set up LR to recognise my IR camera, and also set up actions in Photoshop to do the donkey work.

I've also now got separation of the reds & blues which makes it easy to go B&W with a degree of control if I choose.

Last edited:
OK. So this is the straight out of camera shot. It's one of my duffers from a Marbury trip the other day and I still have the raw file.
dylcTje.jpg

As you can see, the WB is miles off, and adjusting the blue slider to the left doesn't give me enough colour back. So I have built a custom profile in Lightroom which automatically applies a large blue swing to the WB slider *before* the actual WB sliders get touched. So the image below is *just* the WB profile applied. The WB sliders in LR/Camera raw are both in the middle - untouched.

You can get the profile editor (free) from Adobe here https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5494

This creates a Camera Raw profile (which is also used by Lightroom) which you can name yourself.

1w4T2hB.jpg

This is a much better starting point and is performed automatically as Lightroom recognises my X-E1 and applies the camera profile on import.

The photo then goes into Photoshop to have a channel swap, where I change the reds in the blue channel and the blues in the red channel as well as a levels tweak and hue/sat tweak. I have an action set up to do this and I then just go and change the relevant layers if they need tweaking (as every photo is slightly different)

This results in the following.
IXVGk5X.jpg

This then gets saved and put back in Lightroom so that I can tweak the blues and yellows to get that golden look. I also do my sharpening & NR & dust cleaning at this point.

The process is very quick now that I've set up LR to recognise my IR camera, and also set up actions in Photoshop to do the donkey work.

I've also now got separation of the reds & blues which makes it easy to go B&W with a degree of control if I choose.

Thanks for that. I kind of understand it. Will try it out and see how far I get before I get lost. :thinking:
I don't use Lightroom at all although I do have it.
When swapping channels are you ending up with different layers, if yes are you using a blending mode to merge them ?
I'm such a :eggface:

When swapping channels are you ending up with different layers, if yes are you using a blending mode to merge them

In Photoshop (LR doesn't do layers)

- Open your image
- Choose an adjustment layer (split circle icon)
- select "Channel Mixer" (I leave blending mode to normal)

Then in the settings, choose the blue channel and set blue to 0 and red to 100, then choose the red channel and set red to 0 and blue to 100.
I also add a layers and a hue layer to just tweak things a bit.

3y9bFqm.png

Me too. Great camera.
By taking a white balance reading off grass you do get different colours in summer and winter due to the light levels and "greeness" of the foliage.

In Photoshop (LR doesn't do layers)

- Open your image
- Choose an adjustment layer (split circle icon)
- select "Channel Mixer" (I leave blending mode to normal)

Then in the settings, choose the blue channel and set blue to 0 and red to 100, then choose the red channel and set red to 0 and blue to 100.
I also add a layers and a hue layer to just tweak things a bit.

3y9bFqm.png

Thanks again for that. Will try it out when I get to pc later on, if I don't make a complete mess of it I'll let you know how I got on :)
Your help is much appreciated.
Derek

Thanks Derek,
I actually went for the walk with just the IR camera yesterday and left the D700 at home.
No neck or back ache and enjoyed it more.
I may be looking to swap for Fuji XT1 gear in the near future.
I'm certainly in a mono phase at the momen.

Terry.

Back