OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

Thanks Daniel.

I love the effects you can get with Silver FX Pro filters. Especially on IR shots.

I too prefer stronger contrast and you have to ramp it up a bit on IR shots straight out of the camera.

Hi guys, sorry to bust in on the most amazing pictures, but I have a question. Am just starting photography , I have a d3300 and a 18-55mm lens I have a r720 filter (tho it was only £6) so not sure if it even works right The question is , are most IR pictures done with converted camera's or can you get the same pictures without the conversion ,cos I love this type but I don't want to change my new camera to just that. Thanks

Hi guys, sorry to bust in on the most amazing pictures, but I have a question. Am just starting photography , I have a d3300 and a 18-55mm lens I have a r720 filter (tho it was only £6) so not sure if it even works right The question is , are most IR pictures done with converted camera's or can you get the same pictures without the conversion ,cos I love this type but I don't want to change my new camera to just that. Thanks

Yes you can do it with an unconverted camera, though it is a little more difficult.
Main problem is that the amount of light getting to the sensor is much less, so a tripod is needed, as you will need a longer exposure.
This does lead to movement in foliage and clouds on all but the most still of days, restricting you a little on what you can shoot and when.
No reason not to give it a go though, better to try it to see if you like it before spending out on a converted camera.

Yes you can do it with an unconverted camera, though it is a little more difficult.
Main problem is that the amount of light getting to the sensor is much less, so a tripod is needed, as you will need a longer exposure.
This does lead to movement in foliage and clouds on all but the most still of days, restricting you a little on what you can shoot and when.
No reason not to give it a go though, better to try it to see if you like it before spending out on a converted camera.
This is correct. The main problem you may come across is trying to set an accurate white balance which is normally done with the filter on and using grass in bright sun light to set the balance. It can be changed in processing if needed as long as you shoot Raw. There are plenty of tutorials some I think I've linked to earlier in this thread.
I also think quite often the images from an unconverted camera are nicer than from a converted one - more ethereal look about them. A converted camera is a whole lot easier though.

Thanks for the reply , I did take a couple of shots today but, I am starting to wonder if this filter I bought is any good at all. This was on a cloudy day tho :/ and no matter how I try to get this in PS it looks nothing like what people have here.
This was on a setting of F11 / 8s shutter / iso 100 might be totally wrong , and it could be why , but some advice would go a long way. Thanks.
h5bo5qH.jpg

Ssugvgq.jpg

Thanks for the reply , I did take a couple of shots today but, I am starting to wonder if this filter I bought is any good at all. This was on a cloudy day tho :/ and no matter how I try to get this in PS it looks nothing like what people have here.
This was on a setting of F11 / 8s shutter / iso 100 might be totally wrong , and it could be why , but some advice would go a long way. Thanks.
h5bo5qH.jpg

Ssugvgq.jpg
Looks like your filter is working fine - have a look through these links - they may help you process it a little ;)
http://www.scottphotographics.com/post-processing-infrared-photographs-in-photoshop/
https://stevencastle.wordpress.com/2010/07/17/processing-infrared-shots-in-adobe-camera-raw/

EDIT - forgot this one - probably the most important looking at your image - http://www.dphotojournal.com/photoshop-tutorial-adjusting-white-balance-in-ir-photos/

Last edited:
Only just stumbled across this thread. I have a couple of 5DMkII's converted to IR (590 & 720).

Here's a shot of the "Chateau de Bourg Archambault" not far from my home in France.....5DmkII 590nm

p1316070920-4.jpg

Last edited:
Well I took my first one today (out of about 50) that I liked. Found out today that the IR filter I bought for £6 looks like its just a light red filter , cos the Hoya one I bought you can't see through , but the other you could. Anyway here is my first image, comments and or criticism is very welcome. Not the best in photoshop :( P.S was very over cast.

EpD7Kw5.jpg

Last edited:
Well I took my first one today (out of about 50) that I liked. Found out today that the IR filter I bought for £6 looks like its just a light red filter , cos the Hoya one I bought you can't see through , but the other you could. Anyway here is my first image, comments and or criticism is very welcome. Not the best in photoshop :( P.S was very over cast.

EpD7Kw5.jpg

That's looking better:) Like the ethereal blur of the leaves.

Filters vary wildly in how much you can see through them - 590nm filters are just like an orange sweet wrapper whilst 850nm and above I cant shine my powerful torch through!
Most 720 filters let a certain amount of visible light through - just depends on the actual cut off point. The thing to remember with infrared filters is that the wavelength quoted is actually 50% which means that it lets through 50% light below that point and 50% above it. Visible light ranges from about 300 - 700 nm so a 720nm filter is only just above the realms of visible light so you should be able to see a little through it if you look hard enough but it will look dark red.
Filters also vary wildly by brand too. Hoya are generally regarded as best and probably most accurate in their wavelength but I tend to use Zomei filters from ebay - take a while to ship from Hong Kong but every bit as good as Hoya in my opinion as they use German Schott glass.
If you are looking at getting a camera converted too, the thing to remember is you can screw a higher wavelength filter on the lens but not a lower one. Probably the best way to go is full spectrum and then you can use it for ultra violet (if your lens will allow UV to pass as most glass blocks it completely), visible with an infrared block filter (light aqua blue) or infra red.

I'd like to try some IR, is the Hoya R72 good buy? Is there likely to be any vignetting if used with a 16-34 F/4 at 16mm?
The 16-35/4 already has a noticeable light falloff (-1 at the edges and -2 in the corners) so it's fairly inevitable that you'll see something. That said, it is easier to recover in IR images as the contrast range can be manipulted more without things becoming to obvious.

Bob

The 16-35/4 already has a noticeable light falloff (-1 at the edges and -2 in the corners) so it's fairly inevitable that you'll see something. That said, it is easier to recover in IR images as the contrast range can be manipulted more without things becoming to obvious.

Bob
Thanks Bob, good to know.

So....After having a semi...bright day (man I hate working when the sun is out , and when its the day off its raining and over cast) I got this!

gVIAW6G.jpg

Comments always welcome. :)

I disposed of my converted IR camera a few years ago because I wasn't able to process the images how I wanted, unless I was using a Nikon 35mm F2 at least. The camera, nor lightroom had enough adjustment in terms of white balance. I have no found this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP3zsdSOadU&ab_channel=JasonOdell

and followed the advice and can now actually process some of the pics I took back then!

Here's a quick example:

Original Image: (white balance already at the extreme end of LR's white balance slider)

_DSF2666.jpg

New Infra Red Profile, no adjustments: (White balance now a little right of centre on LR slider)
_DSF2666-2.jpg

Auto White balance

_DSF2666-3.jpg

And Auto Processing:

_DSF2666-4.jpg

Not a bad amount of difference!

All this lovely weather has spurned me on to get another IR camera!

Full spectrum, bought a couple of filters to go with it as well, one is an 850 not sure what he said the other was, 680 maybe.
Good stuff - I've converted a few myself and full spectrum is the best way to go - so versatile.
I use from 540 up to 850nm on mine but prefer 680nm for most use.

Nice one, I did a slight mod on a sony with night shot, but wouldn't fancy trying anything else :)
Can't wait to get it and try it out. :)
It's surprisingly easy and there are tutorials for most cameras on YouTube.
The worst part is ensuring there's no dust in the sensor assembly.

Back