OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

They sure are. Not really Infra Red weather at the moment but went out yesterday determined to get some shooting in:

Lead Me To Nowhere by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Red Castle by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Sheep by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Follow my tracks by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Can anyone see a cast on the monos? They're colour output from the Zomei filters. I can't see any cast on my screen though the histogram tells me there should be some areas of colour, my phone shows a teensy tiny bit of purple perhaps. For some reason however, if I try and process as Black and white in lightroom the exposure is suddenly dropped, likewise if I slide the saturation all the way left or try and use a camera monochrome profile. Very strange.

How about some 720nm Pyrenean livestock
p1925661209.jpg

They sure are. Not really Infra Red weather at the moment but went out yesterday determined to get some shooting in:

Lead Me To Nowhere by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Red Castle by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Sheep by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Follow my tracks by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Can anyone see a cast on the monos? They're colour output from the Zomei filters. I can't see any cast on my screen though the histogram tells me there should be some areas of colour, my phone shows a teensy tiny bit of purple perhaps. For some reason however, if I try and process as Black and white in lightroom the exposure is suddenly dropped, likewise if I slide the saturation all the way left or try and use a camera monochrome profile. Very strange.
Cant see any noticeable colour cast on my monitor which is calibrated so should look ok.

There are some cracking images here (y)

I had my EOS M converted to full spectrum, does the mean I have to place a filter on the lens to narrow the field as it were?

Experimental times then (y)

im looking for a new super wide angle, has anyone used the tamron 15-30 2.8 for IR, specifically interested to see if it hotspots

Hi there :)

Took the plunge and had a EOS M converted to full spectrum. I've got a lot to learn about processing etc but this my first image that pleases me :)
St.Marys01.jpg

Nothing to be ashamed of there. Jak, for a first attempt.

Bob

Thank you bob :)

Weather permitting, I'm up in a hot air balloon on Monday :) 4th time, love it.

I'm taking my EOS M full spectrum, what would be a good filter choice please?

I'm taking my EOS M full spectrum, what would be a good filter choice please?
Given that you'll be moving, albeit gently, I'd choose one that has quite a low filter factor so that your choice of shutter speed won't be restricted too much.

Bob

Last edited:
But if it's a full spectrum with a filter on the front of the lens, it should behave as a normal camera regarding shutter speed - mine does. I can normally shoot at 1/1000 easily in good light - obviously as the light drops so does shutter speed.
I would personally take my 680, 720 and 850 filters up in a balloon (if you ever got me in one) - should give plenty of scope.

But if it's a full spectrum with a filter on the front of the lens, it should behave as a normal camera regarding shutter speed - mine does. I can normally shoot at 1/1000 easily in good light - obviously as the light drops so does shutter speed.
Are you saying that the exposure value of the scene is the same whether you use your 680 or 850nm filters?

Are you saying that the exposure value of the scene is the same whether you use your 680 or 850nm filters?
No but generally shutter speed is not an issue on a full spectrum or converted camera as it is on a non converted camera. As long as there is sufficient natural light around then shutter speed is not really a problem - at least I've never found it to be on any of the conversions I've done. My current Panny G1 has no issues with shutter speed as long as the light is good - obviously if the light is bad with little or no IR, you are in trouble - but on a full spectrum conversion, you can just use it with no filter at all and just go for the retro washed out look.

My 720 conversion requires longer exposure times than my 590 (as would seem logical). I would therefore assumed that eliminating more light (as per 850nm) would further increase the exposure time. The second part of the equation is how much light (above the cutoff) the filter "swallows" in achieving its objective.....not all 720nm filters are as efficient as their peers in the same way that some polarisers cut more light than others.

Bob

will just add that my internally converted 590 D80 operates with normal shutter speeds. the metering system however overexposes by about 1.7 stops every time.

Oh yes, I like that (y)

Was in Iceland last week for a few days, brought my IR camera with me, funnily enough three of us went and 2 of us shoot IR :)
Here are 2 of my IR shots from Iceland, will post more as I edit them.
Taken with a pentax K01 full spectrum converted, with a 680nm filter

Un_Panoramasm2 by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Untitled_xcopterPanoramasm1 by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Back