OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

B270 full spectrum window from Stock Optics - 27x17x3mm in case anybody wants to convert a M43 themselves. Takes about an hour and tutorials are available on the Lifepixel.com website for a whole host of cameras. Just watch out for dust!
Stock Optics are a very good supplier of infrared and full spectrum filters - used them many times now.

I went for full spectrum to have the choice of all effects
It's got a B270 Plano window installed instead of the hot mirror (or it could be 290 but it's a proper full spectrum filter)

I have a G5 Full Spectrum converted by ACS coupled with a set of Kolari 52mm filters, and a B+W 403 which if used on a Full Spectrum conversion gives false colour (blue sky and white foliage) straight out of the camera.

14mm pancake and the 14-42 powerzoom are the lenses used.

I also have a Fuji XE1 850nm internal filter conversion but currently considering having another Fuji XE1 I have converted to Full Spectrum.

Last edited:
So not exactly .a an image to show just yet but I'm going to convert my spare d7000 to infrared. Its about the same complexity level as my d80 but I'm building a little 'clean box' to reduce the chance of dust slipping in. While my d80 has been brilliant it's dusty as hell so once I've got a cleaner environment ill disassemble and give it a good cleaning and most likely put it up for sale.

I'll make sure to bring some pics of the 'clean box' when done

I'll make sure to bring some pics of the 'clean box' when done
You gonna put a fan and filter on it to provide positive internal pressure to keep dust out? I had thought of doing this but couldn't be bothered in the end

You gonna put a fan and filter on it to provide positive internal pressure to keep dust out? I had thought of doing this but couldn't be bothered in the end

I'm going for the opposite in fact. I decided that a positive pressure box would be more difficult to make work properly, I know a negative box might not be quite as good bt it should be much better than just my conservatory table like last time :)

Essentially I'm using a big clear perspex box that will be sealed with its lid. Cutting 2 arm holes and using 4" PVC pipe as tubing/rubber glove mounts. HEPA air filter inside a vacuum cleaner bag on one side with a sealed vacuum cleaner port on the other. Both the filter and vacuum cleaner ports will be sealable from the inside so once the air has been sucked out and replaced with the filtered air i can seal up the box and turn the cleaner offI'm Im using a large sealable lunchbox with the bottom cut out as an entry port in the back of the box so i can get things in an out at the beginning and end.

Not perfect but should yield far better results, Only costing me £6 for the extra long rubber gloves :D

Now i just need to wait for the right filter to come back into stock

Just thought i would let you guys know that im moving on my sigma 70-200 OS (nikon fit) in the for sale forum. Given the PITA is can be to find non hotspotting lenses this has been the best lens ive owned for IR.

Well I finally did it and bought an IR filter - if I get the bug them a converted camera may follow next year :)

So as I had a pre-Wedding meeting yesterday I took my camera & filter along and took just these two shots of the Wedding venue, so these are my first steps into IR

TP - Whitley Hall Infrared - David Goodier Photography WEB2.jpg
The big black blobs in the foreground are some unfortunately placed large shrubs, they get in the way of normal Wedding work too - grrr

TP - Whitley Hall Infrared - David Goodier Photography WEB.jpg

Dave

Here is one I like but the hay bale is almost centered. I had two to choose from as I go about learning to focus a manual lens.
IMG_0550.JPG
50D Yashica 28mm f/2.8

Super-Blue-New-Mexico.jpg I took this before Christmas out in the New Mexico desert using converted 20D with the super blue filter and a EFs10-22mm. 50% pass 285 nm to 465nm, and 50% pass 705nm with this filter. The blue skies Are a constant and it is very easy to twist the green and follow the seasons. Also discovered last year how well it performed indoors taking picture of the grandkids. Sparkle in the eyes with IR complections.
View attachment 99776

Last edited:
I took this before Christmas out in the New Mexico desert using converted 20D with the super blue filter and a EFs10-22mm. 50% pass 285 nm to 465nm, and 50% pass 705nm with this filter. The blue skies Are a constant and it is very easy to twist the green and follow the seasons. Also discovered last year how well it performed indoors taking picture of the grandkids. Sparkle in the eyes with IR complections.

View attachment 99776

Just had my X-T1 done by Protech... Still trying to find the right WB settings for me. Need a proper day for it though...

Marbury IR I
by Ian, on Flickr

You could take up a whole thread with WB. Will have to look up Protect as I have not herd of them. Do you know the numbers on your filter ? I will take a guess and say it is the "goldie". Maybe the one with 665nm, just a guess. Good luck with it, I had my cameras done at Lifepixel. For what it is it woke me up. It reminds me of my first enhanced IR picture, but yours has composition to it. I think I took a dandelion. Well done nice and clear.

Do you know the numbers on your filter ?

It's a 590nm conversion. Can't recommend Protech enough. They did my X-E1 and I got my X-T1 last week. Best to start an email communication with them if you're thinking of doing it. Jo was great at keeping me informed.

The problem (I find) with WB is getting a good enough raw image to create the right profile. It's almost there.

After reading your post I set off to look for info. I have a 665nm enhanced color conversion. Never knew,,geezz, then I found good info on the WB fortold. My 720nm, 830nm, WB "they say" healthy green grass. I like an Expodisc. So here we are at 665nm and I have had some problems. "They say" from here on down to Ultraviolet you use a gray card in the sun. My expodisc does this, didn't like this range of WB, so did some reading break thru last month with my Ultraviolet and now I use large a tarp that is silver gray making sure to have at least one third with dark shadows manual blur and shoot on awb setting in WB capture mode then select set an put up my custom WB. The 590nm is a new filter for lifepixel and this is the way i will set my 665nm. Right now I can't remember where it came from. Pretty sure it was about 4pm and picture WB taken 90' from sun on a clean blue sky. That works to, I sure messed up my 830nm post up above all this.

After reading your post I set off to look for info. I have a 665nm enhanced color conversion. Never knew,,geezz, then I found good info on the WB fortold. My 720nm, 830nm, WB "they say" healthy green grass. I like an Expodisc. So here we are at 665nm and I have had some problems. "They say" from here on down to Ultraviolet you use a gray card in the sun. My expodisc does this, didn't like this range of WB, so did some reading break thru last month with my Ultraviolet and now I use a large tarp that is silver gray making sure to have at least one third with dark shadows manual blur and shoot on awb setting in WB capture mode then select set an put up my custom WB. The 590nm is a new filter for lifepixel and this is the way i will set my 665nm. Right now I can't remember where it came from. Pretty sure it was about 4pm and picture WB taken 90' from sun on a clean blue sky. That works to, I sure messed up my 830nm post up above all this.

Oversharpened courtesy of Flickr. Print looks bob on.

Marbury Tree
by Ian, on Flickr

Had a chance to look over some pictures on my good desktop screen and this made one heck of a difference. On your picture the sharpening looked ok in the leaves. I didn't go 200% but I could see the leaves and bottom of the clouds have a green very lightly showing. I could be tired from desert pictures, love um but they can get away from you in a pano. I like this, I live in the trees and green is everywhere. Thank heaven for the change up to IR. I saw a picture on the Lifepixel forum that won a contest there that had a tree sum what like yours. "How do you keep a tree like this out of center". Also what sensor did you have going, ?

Also what sensor did you have going, ?

It was shot on an X-T1 so APS-C. This was a vertical pano - mainly to see how good LR can stitch, but also to print 17" square at high resolution (just over 4100 x 4100).

View attachment 100127
Happen to have part of a 665nm on my pad here. This is a mix of layered and aligned using 3 pictures. I use 3 50D 24mm f/2.8,,,comes out with one color, enhanced IR 665nm, and 830nm deep IR blended and masked into something interesting. I like this one.

I really miss shooting with my IR camera, sold all of my Canon lenses ages ago so now just have a converted IR camera and no lenses to use it with :( May have to look into a full spectrum Nikon camera soon, feeling very inspired by all of the great shots in this thread! Here's a couple of mine (I don't think I've shared them in this thread)

The_Abbey by Michael Garton, on Flickr
Solitary_slopes by Michael Garton, on Flickr
Sentinel by Michael Garton, on Flickr

These are real good,, it looks to me like you've had some training. I bought most of my stuff on e-bay. Had real good luck. Just bought 3 yashica manual 28mm f/2.8 for 20 bucks a piece, all a-one for one of my kits.

2eq6rg0.jpg

I don't know what you do to survive darkness around Infrared and can't reach tones you wish you could have. I would take a green mint, very light color and paint on a new layer in color mode and bring a narrow strip up the center of the palm then blur just enough that you notice it is there. Adjust your layer opacity if needed, it only makes a change that you notice it after you have looked at it for a few minutes. A little flat yellow dabbed along where a highlight might be then blur the same way. I have done it and you know you've done good when they don't see it until you ask them. It is fun and done on a copy, with maybe a little on the edge of the clouds.

I can honestly say I won't guess what we have. Over all silver blue color is a good draw for me. Looks like fun as IR lives for these things. Thanks for sharing GreenNinja

My 850nm filter just arrived so I stuck it on the 590nm converted X-T1 to see if hand-held was really a thing.

This is pretty much a test shot from the garden, and I'm really surprised by the amount of contrast. The evening sun was hitting the illuminated bit of the tree, so the rest was in shadow but it came out ok. 1/170sec at f2.8 & ISO 200. Bodes well for handholding on a sunny day, but not likely when it's overcast. Not without pushing the ISO to silly levels. Hotspot at anything over f4 on this lens/filter combo unfortunately.

850nm Test
by Ian, on Flickr

On a sunny day I was able to handhold a panny G1 at ISO 200 with a 950nm. I'm surprised you're not getting the shutter speeds to hand hold on that filter.

On a sunny day I was able to handhold a panny G1 at ISO 200 with a 950nm. I'm surprised you're not getting the shutter speeds to hand hold on that filter.

Gonna be honest and say so was I. I was expecting a stop or two over the 590, but this is looking more like 3-4 stops. I need more reliable light I think. Might take it out tomorrow if this weather holds.

Back