OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

Gonna be honest and say so was I. I was expecting a stop or two over the 590, but this is looking more like 3-4 stops. I need more reliable light I think. Might take it out tomorrow if this weather holds.
My 830 was a jolt the first time I used it, converted jobber. Sense I shoot late in the day I moved all my IR camera bodies up to 400 iso. I'm not afraid,,,, What I did was pick up a yashica manual lens I had laying around and already knew
from my 720nm shooting that it pulls in the light. Just Dreamin.jpg
This was indoors with 28mm Yashica at iso 640 and really surprised it takes low light so well, it is my granddaughter. below is her older brother.
This with 85mm f/1.2 Crow-in-the-Corn.jpg
830nm at 400 iso,.

Last edited:
My 850nm filter just arrived so I stuck it on the 590nm converted X-T1 to see if hand-held was really a thing.

This is pretty much a test shot from the garden, and I'm really surprised by the amount of contrast. The evening sun was hitting the illuminated bit of the tree, so the rest was in shadow but it came out ok. 1/170sec at f2.8 & ISO 200. Bodes well for handholding on a sunny day, but not likely when it's overcast. Not without pushing the ISO to silly levels. Hotspot at anything over f4 on this lens/filter combo unfortunately.

850nm Test
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian if you ever want to try a 950nm filter, I have a 58mm one here, and I'm only just down the road from you, PM me if you want to borrow.

Ian if you ever want to try a 950nm filter, I have a 58mm one here, and I'm only just down the road from you, PM me if you want to borrow.

That's very kind of you David. No lenses with 58mm diameter though :(

No - more or less out of the camera. A bit of a boost in the contrast & thats all needed.

I can remember when my camera took great pictures, I think it was when I first started that everything was good. I am try'n to say that I liked my photo's better when I didn't follow all the rules, looked at them but they didn't rule my artistic license. Here's one I took with a new camera,,,like is good when there is a "Duck" in the picture.
IMG_0562.JPG

I can remember when my camera took great pictures, I think it was when I first started that everything was good. I am try'n to say that I liked my photo's better when I didn't follow all the rules, looked at them but they didn't rule my artistic license. Here's one I took with a new camera,,,like is good when there is a "Duck" in the picture.
View attachment 101200
That a quacker.

Sorry. [emoji15]

Thank You, they have rebuilt this whole park as now it crosses the freeways and goes for blocks away from the river or Arch. They display sculpture and at night in the colored lights it's like heaven.
This was taken with a converted 720nm 17-40mmL

Last edited:
Cedar Breaks Utah at the east end west of the sheep fields.

IMG_0560.JPG
720nm,, at almost full darkness. It was really fun with the storm and water all around reflecting.

Last edited:
Getting really fed up waiting for stock optics to get their internal filters back in stock (been nearly 3 months since i first looked) no response to queries aswell. Does anyone know of another supplier at a similar price point?

Getting really fed up waiting for stock optics to get their internal filters back in stock (been nearly 3 months since i first looked) no response to queries aswell. Does anyone know of another supplier at a similar price point?

Which filter are you after? I think I might have one or two I bought from Stick Optics in a box somewhere.

Which filter are you after? I think I might have one or two I bought from Stick Optics in a box somewhere.

I'm looking at their 590nm 1.35mm thickness 29mmx25mm.

I've got the same filter in my d80 and I've been really happy with it.

Thanks Jules

Sorry mate I've only got M43 size filters - worth a try [emoji106]

6cbcc66288b696eac6969204816a5bbd.jpg

D90 IR (720nm) converted 8mm fisheye f8 1/400@ISO4000

Wow,,4000iso. I've been up in sun like this about 2000iso. I guess I need to work on my thoughts. Anyway I love the picture.

Wow,,4000iso. I've been up in sun like this about 2000iso. I guess I need to work on my thoughts. Anyway I love the picture.

Hi @worth,

Sorry there was a typo - it was thought to be 1/4000s@ISO400 ...

Here comes another one

91ff9b695a5a2883caaa3f1aaf65f9f2.jpg

D90 IR converted Nikkor 18-55/3.5-5.6 22mm f8 1/1600s@ISO400 -3ev

Big big fan of deep dark Bronze, this has that tint color for light or dark that looks good. Wonderful detail, might have something to do with your iso400. I use it alot, sometimes seems wrong to use during bright sun so I might go 200iso. On my 830nm that is dark for me and slows down my camera, I will go to 640nm or more so my hand held speed will help me. Nice typo to talk about but a much better picture. I search for old wooden structures and will find some European style large castle with only the walls if I am lucky. A lot of Europeans settled early here and left there mark as their designs have been made into parks. This looks like Italy, but what do I know,,,,,

I'm riding the forum right now, have work to take on today and don't want to do it. I do have to admit how much I like your "light" work around your trees. Andy I might try it out, thanks for sharing something so beautiful.

Big big fan of deep dark Bronze, this has that tint color for light or dark that looks good. Wonderful detail, might have something to do with your iso400. I use it alot, sometimes seems wrong to use during bright sun so I might go 200iso. On my 830nm that is dark for me and slows down my camera, I will go to 640nm or more so my hand held speed will help me. Nice typo to talk about but a much better picture. I search for old wooden structures and will find some European style large castle with only the walls if I am lucky. A lot of Europeans settled early here and left there mark as their designs have been made into parks. This looks like Italy, but what do I know,,,,,

The tint is a result of the ISO with a vivid setting for the JPG.

@worth what cameras do you use?

This capture was taken in Belgium, number of old monasteries, some of them in ruins. Gives good sceneries.
In Italy they have mostly kept the buildings, dating from the same period, intact or scrapped them down completely; with a few exceptions.

Last edited:
Hi Jerry, I use Lifepixel conversions. I keep all my cameras and hand me downs from the wife. Right now I have been using a kit of Canon 50D's,
1 color, 1 enhanced IR 665nm, and 1 deep IR 830nm. Fitted in a small backpack and a 3 leg fold out stool I sit on to help steady my my shooting. I use 3 same lenses, right now 3 Yashica manuals I bought in Japan.
I blend them by hand if taking 3 pictures, it is my favorite technique. I picked it up from HDR blending, it is just more time consuming. I also have a kit of 20D's, I have 3 20D's and 1 400D. There is a 720nm, an ultraviolet, Super Blue, it has 2 50% pass 285nm and 705nm. I like to say it passes blue light and red light. And 1 color. Mixing color is what makes it all work for me, I can always use one of the IR's. Also have a 1D MK4 I use for wild life and portraits of the grandkids. Lucked out with this camera as I still worked and received a signing bonus, it paid for most of it. It will most likely be the last camera I buy. I do have an out thou, I have hooked up with two sellers in Japan that sell me good used equipment. They gave me a new 50mm and battery-pack when I bought my 2 50D's and 1 of my 20D's. They all have fairly low shutter counts, they also have sold me some other Yashica lenses. I like um. I should just say I use a canon camera. Haven't posted any blended ones yet, I don't know if it is allowed,,,,using the whole light spectrum. Any way, I can say it is nice to have everything in it's own kit, just grab bag and off to what ever. Lifepixel finally came out with 590nm that everybody likes, it is two close to my 665nm. You never know, I keep thinking about it. I bought my last cameras to convert at a wonderful price, and the conversions are half of the start up price years back. Cheers

Last edited:
We drove thru alittle town of a few houses and not much else. It had to be the railroad that keeps people out in know where. I counted 10 houses and have a few good pictures. I am liking the barded wire fence with a paint can on it. Don't care for the sky and didn't feel like I had that much time or wits to change it.

IMG_0574.JPG
50D Deep IR 830nm EFs 17-85mm
Thanks for dropping by

The drive home on my holiday a few months ago were just blew me away. I went up thru New Mexico to northern Kansas. Picture country for sure for me and the feel for the old countrysides we searched out.

Snake in the grass northern New Mexico.
IMG_0575.JPG
50D 830nm EFs17-85mm

Thanks for dropping by, leave some infrared while your here.

Back