OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

Have this of a train bridge, I liked it but this was about as good as it gets. Off to the side, I do have some of it more towards the center but it just didn't fancy my eye. Oh well',,,,,,
IMG_0581.JPG
50D 830nm with 24mm lens.

Very interesting thread and some great shots :)

I've got a redundant Nikon 1 V1 that I'd like to convert to full spectrum. Does anyone know what size and thickness filter I'd need? Thanks.

Thanks Simon, I had seen that myself but when I looked at it I didn't notice it gave the filter size, which it does at the very beginning! :banghead:

Lol no problem, I do that all the time, I might have a go myself

Have to say,, the ocean worn rocks and the swift wind swept clouds, right up to your pin sharp coastal house is quite eye catching.

My favourite of three taken today (all on Flickr). Very difficult to get to, and I struggled to isolate the tree but I'm pretty happy with it (eventually)

Keep It Simple
by Ian, on Flickr

@Harlequin565 Delamere I presume???

Indeed. Been exploring it whenever I get the chance on a few occasions now. It's good practise for me to see a subject then spend a bit of time figuring out how to get the best from it. Then go back again when I fail :)

Thanks Mr Perspective. Got some shots I'm really pleased with from Anglesey. Very photogenic location and will be going back there soon hopefully.

#1's the winner for me. Although there seem to be some strange colour patches in the sky. I tend to get that with lens flare (which I've found IR suffers from more than regular) so will sometimes whip it into PS to desaturate/remove green from the clouds..

Flickr says f1, so was this with some sort of manual focus lens? #3 looks to have lost the sharpness from the edges (tree branches top right) but that could easily be depth of field.

Either way - these are pretty fine for a first attempt.

Thank you. #1 was with a Nikkor 28 f3.5 AIS, so that's why it shows f1. Thanks for the tip about desaturation. :)

#3 was with a 28-85 zoom, and I'm guessing it's not handling the IR so well as visible wavelengths, hence the blur at the edge.

Ancient Mariner, I have missed the sensor you have in the new conversion. I always go for the yellow, flat yellow more. I will guess from these that it's a 590nm. I follow removing the green from the clouds, in PS I will try quickly the white I dropper in layer adjustments. I have Scott kelby settings of 3 black, 133 gray, 145 white. My grey I will change 122 to lighten mid tones. But click white on the clouds will clean them up. If not sense I am in curves I will green in color select or try a change in white using side to side which is color contrast. I love my Yashica manual lenses and now carry a 35mm and a 42-75 with me when I just want to pull out one camera style. Usually 830nm. I have a quik fix for blue skys and that is add a copy in the layers pallette and blurr to 20 or so and mask out the bloching. I really don't know what that is from but I get little of it. Keep going like what I see so far.

Last edited:
Thanks Stephen - it's apparently 720nm. I don't have PS - my workflow is initial colours sorted in DXO optics pro (handles the raws better than LR) then into GIMP to switch colour channels, then perfect effects to bring out colours and some tone work before LR for final levels adjustment and cataloging. I need more practice.

Wow,,,a 720nm, looks good for yellow. I must be doing something off. I have an older version of DXO and it plays out your white balance like we all want it to work. Thanks for sharing your information. Always helps to hear about the colors on infrared. Was able to go out today and use my yashicas , my 42-75mm on the 830nm. Life can be good when we all stay creative.

Have been try'n to stay up with the grandkids here in town. Took this cabin Lewis and Clark lived in for a short stay before they left for Oregon on the Missouri Rivers.
IMG_0587.JPG
50D 830nm Infrared with 42-75mm manual Yashica zoom.

Have a tool shed that belongs with the cabin. These pictures were in very bright light and because they are manuals they pull light in with no trouble. I read that the Japanese developed these lenses because small places and small spaces need a lens that works in that kind of environment. Kinda opposite of large open areas. Haven't givin' up on them tho I am beginning to miss my 24-105mmL.
IMG_0589.JPG
50D 830nm 42-75mm f/3.5-4.0

Thanks for stopping in.

Bow Fiddle rock at Portknockie on the Moray coast. I took colour and some IR shots there yesterday, but like the clarity in the IR shot which shows up the seabirds far more than the colour ones do. Camera is a 720 conversion of a Panasonic G3 with 14-45 lens.

P1040123-red.jpg

Ha,, not mind as I use Canon. Used to take my 720 everywhere my color went. Now with my 830nm I can't shake that one. I just love the contrasty images and soft grays of the sky you have hear. Very very interesting picture of the rocks and like you said, the birds are very clear. I miss the ocean.

Impressive shot Jon, and presumably from a plane rather than a drone by the looks of it?

I really like the first one Toni. The infrared man is brilliant imo... Looks like an old master in its composition and the colors look great. The others are OK but not keen on the colours in the second one or the one of the house.

I really like the first one Toni. The infrared man is brilliant imo... Looks like an old master in its composition and the colors look great. The others are OK but not keen on the colours in the second one or the one of the house.

Thanks John. I really struggled to get the colours to sort themselves out on the house, and suspect I'm battling the D70's limited dynamic range and the need to convert a NEF file into jpg format before I can finish processing. I quite liked the weird blue foliage of the second, but can completely understand it won't work for everyone (or even anyone) else. Thanks for commenting.

It's 1,2 and 3 for me, Impressed with your use of textures. The picture of the fella with the white hat had me sit up in my chair. I have a white and thought it was me, and it was taken from behind. That's a photographers bain,,"every body seems to be in front unless you run past them to turn and shoot from the front. I thought of that,,it works too,,,yah yah. Here's a special one. Taken with 830nm and a color camera to grab some browns to help make this wonderful old tree look like it has IR enhanced white tippy tops.
IMG_0590.JPG,,,,

This is one of my favorite IR forum, the other is Pixalo. I want to give Flicker another try but I need someone to help me move forward. Anyhow keep up the good pictures.

Back