OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

As far as I can tell a permanent ir mod for the D40 is a PITA.
I get on ok with the filter at the moment.
New year I plan to do an IR 52 of my beautiful home town (Basildon, Essex)

Yeah the D40 apart from being a bit low IR sensitive, needs several tinned copper backplanes unsoldering then resoldering, I did that on a D50. Not one Id want to do again !

What sort of exposure times are you getting at what aperture, speed ?

Absolutely stunning photos, Ive never heard of this type of photography before, but then again Im only just getting into HDR so I am a bit behind the times, do you need a special camera for this or is it all done in photoshop??

Couple of cracking images there Don

Tony, hi and welcome.

You dont need to have a camera full time converted but it sure makes it easier.

Some cameras like the older Olympus Camedias enabled one to just add an IR filter over the lens and you were away.

Newer cameras have better IR stop filters so surgery is needed to take those out and replace them with an IR pass filter, either a low wavelength such as 590 or 650nm, or for purely mono IR images, go for 720 or 850nm.

My Nikon D70s are always modded for 650nm which gives those lovely rich false colours. There are several places doing mods these days (including me), and prices vary from 50 quid upwards.

Take a look at my Flickr pages to get a better idea of what's possible.

Thank you Bob, pleased you like them.
I would totally agree with Paul, I have a D70 converted to I.R. with a 720nm filter, I usually use a Sigma 10-20mm lens with it, and I love it.

One more question if I may, this is fascinating, why do you use converted cameras when you can buy IR filters out of interest?? Sorry if its a bit of a noob question but I noticed you can buy these http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...&sprefix=IR+filt,aps,162&rh=i:aps,k:ir filter and wondered why you would convert an old camera with todays hi tech filters out there??
The filters are kind of like 10 stop nd filters. You need long exposure times, hence a tripod, and you can't see what you're shooting when it's attached.

With a conversion, it's just like using the camera normally.

The filters are kind of like 10 stop nd filters. You need long exposure times, hence a tripod, and you can't see what you're shooting when it's attached.

With a conversion, it's just like using the camera normally.

Thanks Ian I'm starting to understand this now.

Yep thanks Ian, thats pretty spot on. I was having to use 30 sec exposures with an external R72 on my D70, but with an internal filter change over, Im back down to almost the same as ordinary light exposure times.

BTW, you have an absolutely cracking cemetary in Swindon, I have a few gravestone shots from there in my Flickr pages.

Thanks Ian I'm starting to understand this now.
No problem. Like g8ina, I also started with an R72 filter. However, they should come with a warning - "these filters, and IR in general, is HIGHLY addictive" :)

I've been for a trip to the zoo today, took both my normal camera and my D80 that's converted with a 720nm filter and the normal camera didn't come out the bag once. I'll try and share some of the results tomorrow.

A couple of images taken with my beloved D70.
11335890413_42159d2591_c.jpg

11335850544_1911019b2e_c.jpg

Yep thanks Ian, thats pretty spot on. I was having to use 30 sec exposures with an external R72 on my D70, but with an internal filter change over, Im back down to almost the same as ordinary light exposure times.

BTW, you have an absolutely cracking cemetary in Swindon, I have a few gravestone shots from there in my Flickr pages.

Yes Radnor road cemetery, I used to live in Clifton Street that is adjacent to that cemetery, thats a nice part of Old Town in Swindon.

Very nicely processed Don, the bike at Llyn Ogwen is great and I love the trees in the second shot.

Thanks. Job looks simple enough (apart from dust danger...). Have you got an 'ideal' source for the filters themselves? I've found a couple of UK suppliers who seem to be able to supply and cut material to size but if you know better/best...

Yeah, well ... apart from dust, you need an anti static workstation and steady hands and nerve. I do have some filter material available and cut to D70 size at 650nm, lemme know if you still need some.

Only just noticed this thread so thought I would post a couple of my shots up. I use a converted Panasonic G10 with a 720nm filter, not done nearly enough IR lately so will have to pull my finger out and do some more after seeing all the super shots posted in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, well ... apart from dust, you need an anti static workstation and steady hands and nerve. I do have some filter material available and cut to D70 size at 650nm, lemme know if you still need some.

I'd be interested in a 650nm filter if you're looking to sell one or if you could recommend a supplier? I'd like to try changing my D80 from 720.

Couple of great shots there Alby...the castle looks stunning imo

Thanks chaps for the kind words and welcome. Do you guys get the hotspot problem with the non 720nm filters with some lenses?

Thanks Dave. I'll take you up on that, the 650 should let me get some colour in there..! How do we arrange this? (I have a mat and strap for working on sparky bits n bobs so should be OK)

Tell me something my Fuji I believe has a 650 filter giving me colour.....converting to b&w do you still channel swap first or just convert to b&w?

Just convert Bob, it makes no difference if you swap or not.

Cheers David I did think that after doing a couple just wanted to make sure wasn't missing a trick

Seriously loving these shots. If I bought an IR filter would I get a similar effect?

Thanks Mandy, what camera do you have ? Some can be used just by adding a filter on the lens, but most need to be internally converted or you'll have to put up with 30 second exposures.....

Hi David, i have a canon 500d camera, just the onebody at the moment. Hence why I was hoping an IR filter would start me off.

Hmmmm, me no likey Canon DSLRs for IR converting :( Its a right PITA to do em, so really, you are stuck with an external filter.

Get a 650nm to start with, you should be able to use it thru the lens, as opposed to a 720nm which is just about opaque, so you have to frame your shot then stick the filter on and trust luck.

Biiig learning curve but we are all here to help :)

Back