OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

Well I've finally sorted out an IR camera. Picked up a minty D70 and converted it myself to 720nm. Struggled with the dust aspect, had it apart 4 times to try and get rid but it's so difficult!

Anyway, here's a few shots:

St. Andrew's Church by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Old Salisbury Hospital by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

St.Mary The Virgin, Hound, Netley by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Sidlesham by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Cottage by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

St Wilfrid's Church by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Some lovely shots here, but they seem to be nearly all landscapes - lets see if I can add some variety :)

BTTC grid in IR by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Andrew Jordan - Infra red panning by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Bee in infra red by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

P1160570b by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

med coast b 720nm small by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Infra Red flower by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Infra red Panorama by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

IR lightning by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Alright half my examples are landscapes too, but IR does do landscapes well :)

Last edited:
Alright half my examples are landscapes too, but IR does do landscapes well

It does. But it also does portraits well too. My IR photos are scattered around the forum. Not all in here. I just post to bump the thread sometimes :) I do wonder whether to cross post images (Film + Landscape, IR + Portrait) but tend to refrain. Dunno why.

Indeed it does I've seen some real crackers on the IR forum I frequent. It's a real shame my family so rarely let me take them.
I have managed a few reasonable full spectrum portraits at our workshop - only one on-line https://flic.kr/p/mptiuk but it includes a toddler with his mum & while I had permission to put it on-line I generally keep it off forums - some are very touchy about photos of children...

That second one is fab Toni. IR or no.

That second one is fab Toni. IR or no.

Thanks Ian. Tell you what though - you don't half get some funny looks standing by the roadside panning the passing traffic with a camera in your hand. I even had one woman stop and ask what I was doing, and she wasn't at all certain that I wasn't up to no good, even after explaining & showing her the pictures.

Thanks Ian. Tell you what though - you don't half get some funny looks standing by the roadside panning the passing traffic with a camera in your hand. I even had one woman stop and ask what I was doing, and she wasn't at all certain that I wasn't up to no good, even after explaining & showing her the pictures.
When our workshop's tried it there have been a very high proportion of cars having their brake lights on in shot - guilty consciences perhaps :)

When our workshop's tried it there have been a very high proportion of cars having their brake lights on in shot - guilty consciences perhaps :)

In this case I think it was people debating whether to stop & have a word, and that might well have been true in your case too. Unlike conventional street work, where one is either surreptitious or asks permission, those options aren't possible when photographing cars with a wide angle lens and many don't like having cameras pointed at them. I would certainly wonder what was going on if the situation were reversed.

Been shooting some more colour IR this autumn in the New Forest - here's a selection.

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1967-3.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

:)

That first one's a bit nice.

When the sun comes out from behind the tree you'd shaded your camera with and kills the exposure. (That's what I think happened anyway)

Sadface
by Ian, on Flickr

Hmmm - I’m tempted to convert another camera again now. Got an old GF5 sat doing nothing [emoji846]

That last one is really nice @Peter B

Just got 5 rolls of Kodak HIE today. Very excited to try it out!

So. Kodak HIE. Expired 2008. Developed in Rodinal (1+25) for 9 minutes. Shot with a Leica M3 & Voigtlander 35mm f2.
I loaded the film in very subdued light (because there's no way I could load in complete darkness) and still stuffed up the 1st 5 frames because I wasn't sure it was wound on properly and had to faff with it.

Aaaanyway, I shot this roll at 50 (400 with -3 for the Heliopan red filter) bracketing +2 and -2. The above image is the +2 one. I think given the same "sunny" conditions in future I'd shoot natively at 200 then bracket another stop either way.

4 films left in the freezer. Can't wait.

Kodak HIE Test II
by Ian, on Flickr

And a couple of cheerier ones from Boat of Garten station on the Strathspey Steam Railway (actually diesel today :banghead: due to fire risk in the exceptionally dry weather) Ah, well .......

P1050967-copy-tp.jpg

P1050974-copy-tp.jpg

P1050999-copy-tp.jpg

Back