Critique Old Brighton Pier - Fog

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Was in Brighton earlier this year when there was heavy sea fog and have been processing a few to see if can get some decent results.

Here is one i have play with last night, not sure about the light between 2 front left posts?

Purposefully went for a process that gave the posts a silhouette look.

View attachment 38694

You can see a couple more I did previously here https://500px.com/michael-innes

thanks

Love the B&W and the tones, but I can't help but feel the stacks are too dominating over what I feel should be the main subject.

See what you mean, but was impossible to get only the end structure in head on photo though i do have some images where i am closer with only the posts in the water, also have some shot from the side.

I will try and process some of those later.

I like what you were going for but I think a further forward shooting position might of been worth a go to try and achieve some separation between the nearest and the middle posts and to achieve better symmetry

I like what you have tried to achieve, the 1st one you posted and the 2nd one in the last post are my favourites. For me, the ones with just the last posts don't really show what they are, that they were part of the larger structure of the original pier and they don't really add a lot on their own. The ones from further back show more context.

Only a small suggestion, but in the first one the gap between the pier in the background and the two front right posts grates slightly. Could you have moved round sllightly so the structure in the background met both the left and right front pillars?

I do like the way the pier looks in the mist, very atmospheric and the black and white works well.

Its one of those pictures where you seem to have 2 or 3 really good pictures in 1 but it suffers due to that.
Ive no idea how you would combat that.
Pair of wellies or get your feet wet I guess.
Its a great attempt and there is something there but im just not sure what.

Thanks for feedback, i think the issue is that that an image without the posts would be great and this what we are looking for.

Problem with this that the tide does not really go out enough, i was in the water but i believe the beach slopes of steeply so going out further would be difficult. And if i could i would have issue of getting long exposure with waves hitting the tripod.

I do have a couple from the side of posts where you can see the complete end of pier, but not these work either.

Looks very mysterious with the fog around the pier and the posts leading in. It's difficult here to get a good shot with the posts being so dominant, but you did a good job I feel.

I think the final shot has the most going for it, though the first one is great as well. I love the West Pier, and was gutted when they removed the collapsed centre section.

I like there last one best as I think the silhouetted pillars define the limits of what you are looking at and give a finality to the image that befits the subject, that can surely now not last many more years in that perilous state? The mist is great in emphasising that feel.

Back