Old Harry rocks

just a thought, could it be light from the veiw finder?
i just read that i should have covered it over

deffo light leak. A glove, lens cloth, hat etc will all do if you have nothing else to hand. I suspect now you have witnessed the destructiveness to a good image you will go prepared next time ;)

I really like the second shot although the horizon looks to me, either a tiny bit wonky (im a nightmare for this) or you possibly haven't corrected distortion?

Last edited:
Thanks all, i will find something i can leave in the bag to put over the view finder.

deffo light leak. A glove, lens cloth, hat etc will all do if you have nothing else to hand. I suspect now you have witnessed the destructiveness to a good image you will go prepared next time ;)

I really like the second shot although the horizon looks to me, either a tiny bit wonky (im a nightmare for this) or you possibly haven't corrected distortion?

Im not sure how to correct distortion, its 2 pic pano if that makes a difference

Mat

Nothing worse than being 5 mins into a long exposure only to realise the viewfinder shutter/ cap isnt on

Thanks all, i will find something i can leave in the bag to put over the view finder.

Im not sure how to correct distortion, its 2 pic pano if that makes a difference

Mat
Ahh that probably explains it. Are you using lightroom?. If yes then you will have to do it manually when correcting a pano. You will either be able to correct it with the distortion slider in the lens correction tab or within the Transform tab using the multiple correctional sliders there. Did you correct each image prior to stitching the pano? if not, you need to do that first ideally.

Ahh that probably explains it. Are you using lightroom?. If yes then you will have to do it manually when correcting a pano. You will either be able to correct it with the distortion slider in the lens correction tab or within the Transform tab using the multiple correctional sliders there. Did you correct each image prior to stitching the pano? if not, you need to do that first ideally.

thanks, this has helped alot, im going to try it now

just a thought, could it be light from the veiw finder?
i just read that i should have covered it over

First off, I really like the second image.

Re. The purple cast. Before I bought my 10 stop I read up on them and this purple cast was mentioned. Here's a review of the best of them and as you see colour casting is mentioned often. http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u..._round_ups/best-9-and-10-stop-nd-filters-9470

So, it may well not be the light leak problem so far mentioned. But Tim sorted it by covering the viewfinder so you have to try that but my money is on the filter. I don't know which one,make, you have but as you see the problem exists with the expensive ones too. I've had no problems with my B&W f-pro. But once again in the link it did have an issue with casting.

It will have to be sorted in Lightroom.

Hi John
Its not always there, i used them the other day with different light and there was no sign of them, im hoping i can fix it by covering the view finder, if not i will look at other filters

many thanks John

Mat

Back