Old head, Mayo. Sunset

b.jpg I think if you're going to have a central horizon the shot would benefit from squaring up. As the right side is less interesting than the left, I'd go that way. See what you think, you may disagree. (Did I mention I'm still going through my square phase? :))

Last edited:
I prefer the original, which, to me, is a superb well balanced image.

I prefer the original, which, to me, is a superb well balanced image.

Thanks Mate

View attachment 72436 I think if you're going to have a central horizon the shot would benefit from squaring up. As the right side is less interesting than the left, I'd go that way. See what you think, you may disagree. (Did I mention I'm still going through my square phase? :))

I too have got a thing for Square, (usually portraits mind), but I prefer the wider shot. Although not as dominating as the cliff on the left the islands were none the less impressive in person so I wanted them in shot. Plus I hired a 21mm Zeiss lens especially so it would be a bit of a waste to crop it..lol

Thanks for taking the time to comment though..

I would not suggest a crop unless I see any bad thing
in the frame because the ultimate crop is determined
by the end use. Personally, I see nothing wrong here.

OTH, mid-tones taming and shadows recovery would
greatly add to the dramatic character if this cool scene.

Out of curiosity has anyone tried aluminium prints? Does this type of shot work well on it??

I prefer the original crop, since the horizon is comfortably below central.
For me, shadow recovery would make the scene look more unnatural. At this time of the evening, there are deep shadows. :)

I have recovered quite a bit of the shadows already. I stopped where it is because it was starting to look HDR and because it was completely black on the cliffs the noise is starting to show.

And one just before the sun disappeared. The noise is very visible in it though.

Ireland 2016 by onform1, on Flickr

it was starting to look HDR

You possibly, Matt, went much
further than what I had in mind!
may I suggest…

mayopp.jpg

Back