1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  2. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Up to your usual standard Steve

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    SFTPhotography likes this.
  3. PaulButler

PaulButler

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Nicely done :) Lovely tones in both, terrific reflections too.

4. AJR SIMPSON

AJR SIMPSON

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I can't crit that, 2 cracking shots making the most of a great morning.

5. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It has to be one of the best mornings out ever. These are the sort of conditions that are food for the soul. I appreciate others may like different sorts of conditions but for me, these are the true highs. Mist, fog bows, aurora, rainbows. You can hang 'em this is what I want more of :)

AJR SIMPSON likes this.
  6. Craig_85

Craig_85

Name:
    Craig
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Achingly beautiful conditions. The second for me pips it because of the way the boats jump off the background better.

7. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The second for me is a culmination of a dream and is probably my favorite of all my landscape images. This was a dream come true.

8. Son_of_Thor

Son_of_Thor

Name:
    Si
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Both excellent Steve, but the colours and position of the boats makes the 2nd one reflection perfection for me!

9. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks, the boats moved quite a bit. I have one from slightly earlier with ever so slightly nicer light...but the boats cut off the reflection of the tree.

[​IMG]_DSC0560 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Moving position wasn't an option as I had two folk either side of me and I specifically chose this tripod position for a reason. I didn't include this image in the tread for C&C as I know the obvious problem with it but as you mentioned boat position I thought I would reply to you with it.

I like your avatar ;)

10. Nick Owen

Nick Owen

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Nice, Steve. The first isn't right for me personally as I don't like the flat tonal feel, the colour or how the boats merg into the water. The second however comes more alive. The boats lend welcome added interest by breaking the reflection and symmetry of the land subtly if conventionally. In a tighter square crop this image almost feels fractal and in addition avoids the problem of the truncated sight line of land on the right hand side - which I'm afraid does bother me a bit. (Right, I can turn the brightness back up on my screen now! :whistle:)

11. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't mind the land out right. However I never saw the square crop and aye it would work well for sure

12. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi Steve,

I probably wouldn't say this to anyone else because I know you can take it.

In my opinion the boats in the water make this one of the most corny of corny Tourist-Board-style images it is possible to find. I know it's just me; I obviously have a real hang-up about rowing boats as foreground interest in a landscape but I would have avoided them like the plague.

I'm pleased that you got the conditions you were hoping for, though. It looks like it was a fabulous morning.

It pales into insignificance really (in comparison with the foreground interest) but the colour balance in the first image looks a bit odd to me. I don't think I've ever seen clouds that colour ( pale purple?).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  13. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't mind the boats and yep, the sky was pretty much like that at sunrise, it was quite spectacular.

Ideally they wouldn't be there and if I had gone further round to avoid the boats there would be ripples in the shot, and we cannot have that ;)

The view further round doesn't to me work as well as this angle but aye, it has the boats and the ropes that go with them :(

jerry12953 likes this.
  14. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No

It's a lifetimes work; the perfect image. Gotta dash now.

15. alan72

alan72

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Love the soft pink tones, and yes, stunning reflections