Old Mill, Pentre-Cwrt, West Wales.

Great choice of subject and composition. Is there any chance you can recover any detail in the sky.

I miss Wales. Had to move over to the other side of the country for my mother-in-law. I was not happy I can tell you. I miss my home that we had done up. We lived in Llanfair Clydogau, just near Lampeter. Only home I have had that I miss. Thanks for sharing this wonderful image

Great choice of subject and composition. Is there any chance you can recover any detail in the sky.

Thanks all.

Sadly, that is it's failing. I've tried everything 'I know' to add detail, to no avail.

Someone more 'up' with PP probably could.....transplant a sky, but then it's not 'my' image, is it?

It's shot in RAW, I cant do anything with colour version either.

I use LR6 Stand Alone and PSE13.

I miss Wales. Had to move over to the other side of the country for my mother-in-law. I was not happy I can tell you. I miss my home that we had done up. We lived in Llanfair Clydogau, just near Lampeter. Only home I have had that I miss. Thanks for sharing this wonderful image

I'm in Llandysul, well you know how far I am from these places.

Thanks all.

Sadly, that is it's failing. I've tried everything 'I know' to add detail, to no avail.

Someone more 'up' with PP probably could.....transplant a sky, but then it's not 'my' image, is it?

It's shot in RAW, I cant do anything with colour version either.

I use LR6 Stand Alone and PSE13.

If I copy and paste your image into photoshop and pull the exposure right down there is a bit of noisy texture in the sky and so it is probably not completely blown . I would have thought it would be possible to do something with the original file.

If I copy and paste your image into photoshop and pull the exposure right down there is a bit of noisy texture in the sky and so it is probably not completely blown . I would have thought it would be possible to do something with the original file.

Thank you, but how? I'm open to all suggestions.

Thank you, but how? I'm open to all suggestions.

Have you tried opening the raw image in LR and applying a gradient or selectively reducing the exposure using the brush tool. Although I can't remember what the retouching tools were like in ver 6.

Have you tried opening the raw image in LR and applying a gradient or selectively reducing the exposure using the brush tool. Although I can't remember what the retouching tools were like in ver 6.

Yes, I've tried both those techniques, both the gradient and the brush tool just reduce the exposure. I cannot get any texture or cloud type stuff to come out, must have been a 'very' flat sky.
I'm resigned to leaving it alone.
Thanks again.

View attachment 246915

Pretty rough but gives you an idea
Reminds me a little bit of an embossed image we used to do when I went to Reading college back in the '70s. Not quite, but close enough. You take your image on a larger format like 5X4 is best. You can do it on two-quarter format but it's not as clear. You then take your negative and put it in the enlarger. You then use another 5x4 on the base and create another positive image. When that is developed you put the two films together and then slightly miss-a-line them. Tape the edges with a small bit of tape and put it in the enlarger. You end up with an embossed image. One hell of a long process, but you worked with the technology we had back then.

It can be allowable to have areas of pure white in a monochrome image, but it has to be the right sort of image and this isn't one. Tonally, it's overly brittle - apart from the blank highlight areas, there's too much much mood-destroying detail. Time to step back, maybe, and think about what you're up to.

Whatever you do, the first step is to get the exposure right - this'll give you the maximum scope to take the image in various directions as you explore its possibilties.

With a good original you start from a position of strength, and it's less of an act of desperation.

All I have done here is apply a slight gradient to the image and you can see there is some detail in the top LH corner so your original may have something you can reclaim, it doesn't need to be much just enough to get rid of that pure white blown out look. You probably know this but it's best to shoot at your lowest iso to get the best dynamic range and use you histogram to get the best exposure. If in doubt bracket in 1/3ev increments.

p3452408622-5.jpg

Back