Old Style Portraits

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Some shots of my little lad, lighting from a large window and although they look posed he's reach the age where he won't actually sit still any more. I was trying to get the old fashioned shots with vignette (Marmite, I know). These are processed using DxO Optics Pro, following a free download I thought I'd try it out. First time I have tried this style, so any C&C welcome.

IMG_6923 r_DxO_r by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

IMG_6936_DxO_r by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

IMG_6908_DxO_r by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Third ones a winner great little cheeky face, would have liked upright to show the whole of his head but still like the composition

Number 1 is interesting.. he has quite an adult pose and expression on his face. The black and white makes it feel quite formal. Simple window light providing short lighting across the face is nice too.

2 and 3 aren't very sharp, which is annoying in a formal portrait. I can see in the reflection of his eye that you're waving your hand around to get his attention. Were you shooting hand held, with one hand? That's gonna require higher shutter speeds than normal, or a higher ISO than normal to enable faster speeds because you're just not able to keep the camera as stable.

Colour shots look a little dark and excessively yellow here. How's your monitor calibration?

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

@Pookeyhead, I agree 2 and 3 could be sharper and 1/60 sec was in hindsight too low. These were at ISO800 so I could have pushed that up (upto 1600 seems to provide usable results on the 70D). Yes, these two were shot one handed as I was trying to get him to look at the camera (have to do this quite a lot!). The third shot defo looks a little on the yellow side, might see if I can sort out the WB.

Last edited:
Back