Oldham

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Oldham ! Well a bit of in the background. I took this when taking the pano of the Manchester skyline a few weeks back. The horses caught my eye against the town (Oldham) in the background.

Gaz

Web.jpg

Hi Garry When I saw the title I cringed but you have made a silk purse out of a sows ear :clap::clap::clap: I grew up playing in the fields just beyond the horses. Happy days:)

When I saw the title I cringed but you have made a silk purse out of a sows ear
Hiya

I'll take that fella :) How far away from the fields have you flown ?

Gaz

About 3 miles Gaz:) I have lived in Oldham all my life but it makes me sad to see what the town is becoming........but that's not for this forum. I think you took the shots on Brighton road, are you aware that there are Kestrels and Deer around that area(y)

Hi Charles. I thought you had moved out of the area alltogther. Just Googled Brighton Lane. No I took the image from the side of Hartshead Pike on Lane Head rd just over the top before you start the decent down towards Lees.
I had no idea regarding the Kestrels and Deer.
My Mrs works @ Ferranti and they have Kestrels nest on the Mill most years. I guess thats not to far from Brighton rd.

Gaz

It only needs a bit more contrast in the background? A bit more Photoshop? That's a nice picture

It only needs a bit more contrast in the background? A bit more Photoshop? That's a nice picture
Thanks Darren. This image as grown on me for some reason.
Since uploading here I did think maybe I could work on it a bit I was thinking more along the lines of dodging and burning on the relevant parts of some of the buildings?
I was thinking if I was to add to much contrast back there it would lose a sense of reality ?
Am I thinking along the right lines ?

Gaz

Having had a longer look I'd put your dodging skills to work on the foreground. There's 3 layers in the shot? Making the horses pop & draw the eye would be a priority? Making the town & sky fade into the mist would only help with that? Darn, I'm doing question marks too much but it is your shot???
If you really want to get advanced & keep working the shot then colour grading might be worth reading up on. You can kind of colour grade stills with Topaz Adjust

Having had a longer look I'd put your dodging skills to work on the foreground. There's 3 layers in the shot? Making the horses pop & draw the eye would be a priority? Making the town & sky fade into the mist would only help with that? Darn, I'm doing question marks too much but it is your shot???
If you really want to get advanced & keep working the shot then colour grading might be worth reading up on. You can kind of colour grade stills with Topaz Adjust
Thanks Darren. I will do a bit of work on it at some point. Not sure on the colour grading thing but will look into it.

Gaz

My family are from & I was born in Oldham, but left in 67. One of my Grandads worked @ Avro for a few years, after coming out of the licensed trade :beer:
Used to visit both sets of G/parents almost every week for a few years, but haven't been back to see the town for many years now.

I took the image from the side of Hartshead Pike

Mum & Dad used to take us up there on Sunny Sundays. :cool: Happy days.

Mum & Dad used to take us up there on Sunny Sundays. :cool: Happy days.

Hi there Carl.

Glad you stumbled accross the post and it brought back some happy thoughts for you.

Gaz

Lovely image, the green of the hills and the orange of the sky really compliment each other.(y)

Sure did Gaz. (y)

I haven't though much about where I was born for many years now, but when certain things jog my memory (eg Hartshead Pike) it gets me remembering all sorts of stuff from 50+ years ago. :cool:

Crikey, I've just been on goggle street view touring around a few areas, Werneth, Glodwick, Alexander pk. Pitses, Ripponden Rd, Lees Rd ......... :(

Lovely image, the green of the hills and the orange of the sky really compliment each other.(y)
Thanks Paul. I appreciate you stopping by and letting me know what you like about the image.

Werneth, Glodwick, Alexander pk. Pitses, Ripponden Rd, Lees Rd
You chose the best bits too :)

The Pikes the same though !

Gaz

Back