Oldies from that mountain in Glencoe.

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Finally got around to giving this the black and white treatment. Only took 4 years.

Dark Buachaille by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

And a little over two years ago when I was lucky enough to get in to the glen before the road was closed. Had the whole place to myself but no where to park with laybys snowed in and the cops don't like it much when you leave your car parked on the road for the sake of some pictures. Got a mighty telling off.

Stob Dearg by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Definitely the first one for me Scott. I really love the brooding nature of the shot with the clouds above and the dark foreground below. Excellent.

Love the first one even though the darkness won't appeal to everyone. Worth the 4 year wait!

I think you're doing that on purpose, Scott, and NO,
I will not do that, I won't pick one over the other as I
see two cool takes in opposite keys and I like both.

May I notice. while I'm at it that the first shows a halo
and the FG is a tad too dark as the second has large
areas where values are well over the 250/255?

Cheers folks.

I think you're doing that on purpose, Scott, and NO,
I will not do that, I won't pick one over the other as I
see two cool takes in opposite keys and I like both.

May I notice. while I'm at it that the first shows a halo
and the FG is a tad too dark as the second has large
areas where values are well over the 250/255?
Yeah, that halo has been killing me all week. It's not an excuse, it is there but barely noticeable on the big file. Flickr apply a fair amount of sharpening when uploading and what ever else they seem fit which exacerbates the issue.

Yeah, that halo has been killing me all week. It's not an excuse, it is there but barely noticeable on the big file. Flickr apply a fair amount of sharpening when uploading and what ever else they seem fit which exacerbates the issue.

I read about this issue here but since
I don't do social media, I wouldn't know.

Lovely shots, Scott. Where was your Dark Buchaille taken from? Great perspective, different to the norm.

No1 for me its beautiful, lovely light and complementing shadow. There is a sort of plane of light eminating from the peak to that makes it even more special. I'm not sure if that is a natural vignette but whatever it really suits the shot.
Top Draw work again and i always love your PP (for me something to aspire too).(y)

Lovely shots, Scott. Where was your Dark Buchaille taken from? Great perspective, different to the norm.
Cheers Ian. The mono was taken from near the top of the Devil's Staircase, not to be confused with the top of Beinn a'Chrulaiste.
Chrulaiste is quite popular now, the Devil's Staircase often overlooked but a wonderful vantage point.

No1 for me its beautiful, lovely light and complementing shadow. There is a sort of plane of light eminating from the peak to that makes it even more special. I'm not sure if that is a natural vignette but whatever it really suits the shot.
Top Draw work again and i always love your PP (for me something to aspire too).(y)
Thank you.
You'll not be surprised to know there's a huge amount of vignette in this but done using the radial filter tool.
Don't mind a big dose of vignette now and then. :)

Cheers Ian. The mono was taken from near the top of the Devil's Staircase, not to be confused with the top of Beinn a'Chrulaiste.
Chrulaiste is quite popular now, the Devil's Staircase often overlooked but a wonderful vantage point.

Yeah, I thought so. My effort was from Beinn A Chrulaiste but I do like the vantage point that the Devil's Staircase provides too. Plus, it'd be a bit better underfoot than the boggy sections up the adjacent Beinn!

A return trip may be in order :)

Bear in mind from the Devil's Staircase the ski resort and Criess break in to Stob Dearg's front face on the left hand side. They're obscured in this picture because of the low lying cloud moving up the glen and over the Buachaille giving the impression the mountain is isolated. I've been all over the Devil's and there's some good vantage points and some not so good that don't work for me. What I'm trying to say is for this shot to work it's very condition dependant IMHO. If the conditions aren't bang on I'd not waste the time going up the Staircase.
It depends on what kind of picture you want to make at the end of the day.

Bear in mind from the Devil's Staircase the ski resort and Criess break in to Stob Dearg's front face on the left hand side. They're obscured in this picture because of the low lying cloud moving up the glen and over the Buachaille giving the impression the mountain is isolated. I've been all over the Devil's and there's some good vantage points and some not so good that don't work for me. What I'm trying to say is for this shot to work it's very condition dependant IMHO. If the conditions aren't bang on I'd not waste the time going up the Staircase.
It depends on what kind of picture you want to make at the end of the day.
Totally. I'm happy to enjoy a nice walk anyway tbh, the photograph would be a bonus :)

I opened the thread and scrolled to the first image...
And stopped.
For 3-4 minutes.
Simply stunning.

Two belters - well worth the wait. (y)

Back