Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Opinions on the Olympus 60mm Macro lens for portraits and stuff other than macro? Any examples? What's the bokeh like? I want the 75mm but with the 60mm at half the cost and being a great macro lens, I'm toying with the idea of getting it. I know it won't be quite as sharp and less fast but still....

Cheers

Who on here uses the 45mm 1.8, the price at the minute is very tempting with the cash back, but Im just trying to gauge when I would use it?

Im thinking indoors with the kids, maybe whilst doing a bit video

Who on here uses the 45mm 1.8, the price at the minute is very tempting with the cash back, but Im just trying to gauge when I would use it?

Im thinking indoors with the kids, maybe whilst doing a bit video

It's a marvellous lens, it really is, optically it's better than my 17mm I reckon. I like the focal length too - suits me well.

Opinions on the Olympus 60mm Macro lens for portraits and stuff other than macro? Any examples? What's the bokeh like? I want the 75mm but with the 60mm at half the cost and being a great macro lens, I'm toying with the idea of getting it. I know it won't be quite as sharp and less fast but still....

Cheers

Have a look half way down the page here:

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_M_Zuiko_Digital_40-150mm_f2-8/

it will give you the idea of difference in bokeh as it compares the 40-150 @75mm f/2.8 to the 75mm f/1.8. Obviously the macro will have slightly less background compression due to the shorter focal length so things won't appear so blurred.

Have a look half way down the page here:

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_M_Zuiko_Digital_40-150mm_f2-8/

it will give you the idea of difference in bokeh as it compares the 40-150 @75mm f/2.8 to the 75mm f/1.8. Obviously the macro will have slightly less background compression due to the shorter focal length so things won't appear so blurred.

Ive only had it a few weeks so not used it a lot, but initial impressions is that it isn't a fast focusser.

Cheers

george by damianmkv, on Flickr

This is a large crop of a snapshot of my youngest. I know it's not exactly what you wanted but it's plenty sharp. Makes a great portrait lens I think

@damianmkv do you find the 60mm hunts a bit when using it for general portrait shots?

I struggle with this, but it maybe the way I am using it, for macro I just set it and move in and out to get focus

Damian
I use PS6 and stitches brilliantly did you use manual and overlap the shots enough in fact that maybe should been 10 or so vertical shots.

i used the auto panorama thingy in PSE11. Definitely should have been vertical shots to get more sky

no, it was in aperture mode

For stitching take the time to switch to manual then the camera will keep the same setting on all shots making it easier for the software to stitch the shots.

Thanks to Amazon being awesome and refunding in full - my 7 month old slightly faulty RX100M3 has been returned to them - I now have some spare money burning a hole....

Seriously considering putting it towards the new Oly 7-14 :)

Oooooh nice :love: I'm contemplating a samyang fisheye ( still )...

Not really on the same level :D

Oooooh nice :love: I'm contemplating a samyang fisheye ( still )...

Not really on the same level :D

I really like the S7.5. It is a super little lens and you can get fairly normal results if you put the horizon across the middle of the frame. It also de-fishes nicely and it doesn't really matter that it is MF either.

Having this lens is making me waver on the O7-14 a little - I had a P7-14 and it was quite big and heavy in comparison so wonder if I really need it :(

Do any of us need yet another lens ? Probably not. Do we all fancy another lens ?

You betcha we do :banana:

Do any of us need yet another lens ? Probably not. Do we all fancy another lens ?

You betcha we do :banana:

I sold all my FF Nikon gear to make it easier to carry around, but I've just realised I can fit so much more lenses in my kit bag. Just received the 14-150 and 75-300 today and theres still way too much room.

Awesome Huw - the detail is amazing - did you use spot metering ? How heavily (or not) is that cropped?
I'm also assuming this is the 40-150 PRO and not the £150 lens ?

EDIT - centre weighted average and +1.3 ev.

EDIT 2 - answering my own questions here :) I can see the MC-14 is dedicated to the 40-150 and 300mm PRO lenses and whe used the max aperture is a stop darker - hence the f4 and what confused me.

As an aside, I always think I am not really into telephoto lenses - the longest lens I have owned for any length of time was the O75 prime - I did buy a Panasonic 300mm zoom lens off of Marcia some years ago but didn't keep it long as I didn't use it and I also bought the Oly 40-150 portrait kit but only really for the little blue bag and sold the lens straight away..... but then I see shots like this and think WOW I need a telephoto lens - although I know I'd struggle to have the patience to capture a moving bird :(

Last edited:
Right decision time. :thinking:
Currently have the E-M5 with a 12-40 Pro glued to it and decided to upgrade to either a E-M5ii or E-M1 but want in silver tho as love the look. They are both same price on Jessops and they offer free finance which makes it even more tempting.

They both seem very similar but hear the auto focus is better on the E-M1.... Just wonder which people would go for at the same price?

Awesome Huw - the detail is amazing - did you use spot metering ? How heavily (or not) is that cropped?
I'm also assuming this is the 40-150 PRO and not the £150 lens ?

EDIT - centre weighted average and +1.3 ev.

EDIT 2 - answering my own questions here :) I can see the MC-14 is dedicated to the 40-150 and 300mm PRO lenses and whe used the max aperture is a stop darker - hence the f4 and what confused me.

As an aside, I always think I am not really into telephoto lenses - the longest lens I have owned for any length of time was the O75 prime - I did buy a Panasonic 300mm zoom lens off of Marcia some years ago but didn't keep it long as I didn't use it and I also bought the Oly 40-150 portrait kit but only really for the little blue bag and sold the lens straight away..... but then I see shots like this and think WOW I need a telephoto lens - although I know I'd struggle to have the patience to capture a moving bird :(

Thanks for the comment Alan, sorry for the late reply, and yes you've figured it all out, the 40-150 f/2.8 wide open with the MC-14 attached giving an f/4 @210mm.
I tend to go for a proactive approach to exposure compensation when attempting birds in flight and aircraft for that matter :)

Edit: Missed your question about the crop, yes it's cropped a fair bit (2695 x1797) but not as much as usual with these as this time the Kite was pretty close.

Last edited:
Right decision time. :thinking:
Currently have the E-M5 with a 12-40 Pro glued to it and decided to upgrade to either a E-M5ii or E-M1 but want in silver tho as love the look. They are both same price on Jessops and they offer free finance which makes it even more tempting.

They both seem very similar but hear the auto focus is better on the E-M1.... Just wonder which people would go for at the same price?

Difficult one that as they are both very desirable cameras.
Perhaps it's better to determine what you find lacking about your E-M5 which btw I still think is a great camera.
Do you shoot any action or use legacy 4/3rds glass because if that's the case the E-M1 will have an advantage.

As Huw says - EDITED to remove my incorrect and outdated information

There are a number of other benefits to upgrading to the E-M1 or E-M5 Mk2 than the AF. Having said that the original E-M5 is still a highly capable camera.

Last edited:
As Huw says - E-M1 AF is not any better when using current M43 lenses (pNasonci or Olympus) in most situations - it is still a contrast detect focusing system.

The additional phase detect focusing system built into the E-M1 certainly benefits people with non-M43 Olympus lenses and maybe other legacy glass.

There are a number of other benefits to upgrading to the E-M1 or E-M5 Mk2 than the AF. Having said that the original E-M5 is still a highly capable camera.

Small correction Alan, since v3.0 firmware C-AF now makes use of phase-detect with m4/3rds glass for burst shooting. Very handy and a nice improvement :)

Back