Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Right decision time. :thinking:
Currently have the E-M5 with a 12-40 Pro glued to it and decided to upgrade to either a E-M5ii or E-M1 but want in silver tho as love the look. They are both same price on Jessops and they offer free finance which makes it even more tempting.

They both seem very similar but hear the auto focus is better on the E-M1.... Just wonder which people would go for at the same price?

WEX and LCE are offering an additional £150 trade-in against an E-M1 at the moment....could be an option?

Just go some step up rings sorted for my nd filters so hoping to try out some long exposures over the weekend. I must say, it's quite weird being able to see through a 10 stop filter through the viewfinder. Was hoping my 9-18mm was going tom turn up today as well but no sign yet :(

Last edited:
Just go some step up rings sorted for my nd filters so hoping to try out some long exposures over the weekend. I must say, it's quite weird being able to see through a 10 stop filter through the viewfinder. Was hoping my 9-18mm was going tom turn up today as well but no sign yet :(

What body you got Gary? The Live Bulb mode on some (or all?) of the Oly OM-D bodies is really useful - watch the shot appearing on the screen and release once you are happy with it.

Got the e-m1 a couple of weeks ago but haven't had much time to play as of yet. Looking forward to trying out the Live Bulb Mode though, one of the main reasons I chose oly over panasonic.

Does anyone know if you can get a cable release for the e-m1? Can't seem to find anyting on Amazon

Aslo, does the ibis auto detect if the camera is on a tripod?

Last edited:
Got the e-m1 a couple of weeks ago but haven't had much time to play as of yet. Looking forward to trying out the Live Bulb Mode though, one of the main reasons I chose oly over panasonic.

Does anyone know if you can get a cable release for the e-m1? Can't seem to find anyting on Amazon

Aslo, does the ibis auto detect if the camera is on a tripod?

This will fit Gary
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-shut...393333&sr=8-15&keywords=olympus+cable+release

Or this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RM-UC1-Re...540?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41936d278c

No it does not auto detect so you will have to remember to switch the IS off.

Last edited:
Thanks Alf, I quite like to have an intervalometer but I suppose I don't really need one with the live bulb mode :)

As for the ibis not auto detecting, that's just one more thing for me to forget....:)

thanks guys.

I use to have a canon 7D and enjoy some action photography at times and it's the only thing I really miss about the canon over the E-M5 and I'm guessing it's my main reason for upgrading as the E-M5 dose eventhing else I need and more.
Which is why I was leaning towards the M1 but like the fact the M5ii is newer.

thanks guys.

I use to have a canon 7D and enjoy some action photography at times and it's the only thing I really miss about the canon over the E-M5 and I'm guessing it's my main reason for upgrading as the E-M5 dose eventhing else I need and more.
Which is why I was leaning towards the M1 but like the fact the M5ii is newer.

Go and try them out with grips on etc if possible as they will feel different in the hand I have an E-M1 and E-M5 MKI and like them for different reasons. I often use the E-M5 with the 14-42 EZ as it is so small but I prefer the E-M1 with the grip most of the time.

Here with the 12-50 not 14-42

2015-01-01 17.13.40 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Trouble is I'm in Cornwall and we haven't any camera shops now that stock Olympus.

Just having a play in the garden and the metering seems to be playing up a bit I think. All metering modes seem to be metering the same, is there something I'm missing?

Well it depends on the subject - there are many situations where all the metering modes would show the same.

Thanks Ned, I'm pretty competent with metering modes, just didn't seem to be working right. Turned it off took out battery etc and it's working alright now. Seems like it was having a funny five minutes.

Had a quick try at a long exposure as this is something I like to do a fair bit, nothing special just testing the sensor out more than anything. This is an area where I thought the m4/3 sensor might fall down for me. On first testing I've found that there is massive amounts of colour noise (I will say though, this is quite extreme at nearly 7 minutes). As much as the live bulb mode is a revelation I'm not sure I'll get on very well with the noise, might not be able to sell off all the nikon gear as first thought......I did wonder, I shot this at 100 iso, so would the native 200 iso give slightly better results?

EM-1 Long Exposure Test by Gary Miller, on Flickr

Last edited:
Interesting findings - not done anything that long but didn't find the noise too intrusive on some of the long exposure playing around I did.

Had a quick try at a long exposure as this is something I like to do a fair bit, nothing special just testing the sensor out more than anything. This is an area where I thought the m4/3 sensor might fall down for me. On first testing I've found that there is massive amounts of colour noise (I will say though, this is quite extreme at nearly 7 minutes). As much as the live bulb mode is a revelation I'm not sure I'll get on very well with the noise, might not be able to sell off all the nikon gear as first thought......I did wonder, I shot this at 100 iso, so would the native 200 iso give slightly better results?

EM-1 Long Exposure Test by Gary Miller, on Flickr

Have a read of this: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1-em5-dark.html

Thanks Ned, interesting read. I'm surprised to find the em-5 sensor better at handling the noise. Very much sounds like I will have to test it quite a bit more before I make any hasty decisions about selling the rest of my nikon kit as I do like night shooting as well. I suppose at the end of the day it will come down to how much noise I'm willing to put up with as I'm not crazy about the idea of running two systems ( nor is the wife )

Depending on what you're shooting you can use live composite which is an amazing feature, the inbuilt stacking averages out the noise as well resulting in cleaner shots.

Looking forward to giving that a try, not sure it's going too be to handy for the type of long exposure stuff I normally do but might give me some inspiration to try some different techniques. Looking around at the moment I think I might end up looking into trying to pick up a cheap em5 as well as they certainly seem to do better for night time shooting, will ultimately be cheaper than running two systems

Hi all

Can anyone advise me on a flash for my EM1? To put things in context its easier to treat me as a newbie when it comes to using a flash although I have being into photography for more than 4 decades!

My daughter is getting married abroad in September early evening. I have opted out of doing the official photographs as I want to enjoy the day. However, as the evening rolls on I have being asked to take a few photographs of the evening do which will be a mix of indoor and outdoor shots.

My question is which flash should I buy? I have see the Olympus FL50 at a decent used price, the Nissin i40 new and a few Metz. I have never even used the flash that came with the Em1. Is it suitable for my purpose? I will be shooting mainly with the 12-40 2.8.
All advice appreciated as I'm tying myself in knots trying to decide on a flash that will probably only get used a few times after the big day.
Thanks

Last edited:
That's lovely, great find and shot

Apologies if this has been covered in detail - I've looked in this thread but it is rather long...

Anyway, I'm in the process of selling some Nikon gear and a few other bits to free up some £££. I've no intention of moving away from my main Nikon set up but am very interested in putting together a smaller and lighter Olympus system. I started out with Olympus gear many years ago - an OM10 and then an OM-2n.

I'm seriously considering purchasing the OM-D E-M5 Mk II with the 12-40mm Pro lens and the 40-150 f2.8 Pro lens. BUT - I shoot a lot of animals and fast focus is an absolute priority for me.

Can anyone with the E-M5 MkII comment on their success in photographing fast moving subjects, and any limitations?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I've not personally used the mk ii, but I'd go for the em1 for autofocus since firmware v3

I picked the i40 as it has all the functions, TTL, slave, full bounce and twist, HSS, and is really small. The right size for m43 cameras.

That's what I did as well. Great price and free postage from that well-known camera store in Watford

Apologies if this has been covered in detail - I've looked in this thread but it is rather long...

Anyway, I'm in the process of selling some Nikon gear and a few other bits to free up some £££. I've no intention of moving away from my main Nikon set up but am very interested in putting together a smaller and lighter Olympus system. I started out with Olympus gear many years ago - an OM10 and then an OM-2n.

I'm seriously considering purchasing the OM-D E-M5 Mk II with the 12-40mm Pro lens and the 40-150 f2.8 Pro lens. BUT - I shoot a lot of animals and fast focus is an absolute priority for me.

Can anyone with the E-M5 MkII comment on their success in photographing fast moving subjects, and any limitations?

Many thanks!

No M4/3 camera can compete with even a basic modern DSLR when it comes to tracking so if that's your main priority then it might be better to look elsewhere.

If you do go for M4/3 the Oly EM1 or the Panasonic GH4 are the ones to go for for tracking AF ability - they've made it to the 'usable' level rather than 'what's the point in that'. That said, the EM5 mk2 is better than the EM10 and EM5mk1 for tracking.

Trying to choose between the em5 mk2 v em10 v em1 I like to shoot macro so would the 5axis cameras be better or is it only beneficial for video also have read on various sites about the em10 having a noisy shutter ? Advice please.

Trying to choose between the em5 mk2 v em10 v em1 I like to shoot macro so would the 5axis cameras be better or is it only beneficial for video also have read on various sites about the em10 having a noisy shutter ? Advice please.

I'm selling a E-M5 mark 1 if that's any good

I own the EM10 and EM1 and have used a 5mk2.

The 5 axis IBIS would be preferential for macro although I don't really shoot proper macro so can't really comment.

When I tried the 5mk2 I decided it wasn't improved enough over the EM10 to warrant the extra money although if money were no object I would love one.

The EM1 is a fantastic camera which I use lots but I still rather like the small size of the EM10, especially for travel, and when using the big pro lenses the add on grip transforms the handling.

Not sure that helps :LOL:

I guess to summarise, I love the EM10 and happy with it as part of a 2 camera system, if I wanted the best tool it would be the EM1 and if I could only have 1 M4/3 camera it would be the EM5mk2 as half the point is that they are small.

Have been deciding over the last month I feel like it is between the mk1 and the 5mk2 the size of the mk2 is swaying things in that direction then I have seen the mk1 around £575 and the 5mk2 is £899 so the mk1 is back in play, don't want to make the wrong decision.

Have been deciding over the last month I feel like it is between the mk1 and the 5mk2 the size of the mk2 is swaying things in that direction then I have seen the mk1 around £575 and the 5mk2 is £899 so the mk1 is back in play, don't want to make the wrong decision.
Or you could dip your toe with a second hand one for about 300ish?

Seen a used E-M5ii on eBay ending in a few hours for £550

Back