Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

So tempted to get the 12-40 for my holiday, like everyone is saying, it's big and is against the reason it bought m4/3 but much smaller than equivalent

Or there's the p12-35 f2.8....

The 12-40 is a superb piece of kit if I am not using my macro kit the 12-40 is on the camera and I do not need much else on theE-M1.

I like the 14-42EZ on the E-M5 when I want something small and light.

Gandalf the 17mm is a nice little lens with a pleasant field of view but I'm always a bit annoyed that it isn't a pancake like the older F2.8 17mm.
Good as an 'always on' prime for the bag. The Panaleica 15mm is a close competitior ...
The 75mm take brilliant 'subject separation' photos and optical quality is awesome : costs too much for me to justify owning though. A must-have for dark events?

Oh my, so today I went to buy a high end compact but fell in love with the E-M10!!

So that's my next purchase! I'm on a budget so will have to be the kit lens. What one is best? Pancake 14-42 or standard 14-42 II?

Slippery slope - you'll have an e-m1 before you know it.

The pancake is more convenient obviously ...

Slippery slope - you'll have an e-m1 before you know it.

The pancake is more convenient obviously ...

The camera just felt perfect! So solid for such a tiny thing!

Now got to choose colour!

Last edited:
Oh my, so today I went to buy a high end compact but fell in love with the E-M10!!

So that's my next purchase! I'm on a budget so will have to be the kit lens. What one is best? Pancake 14-42 or standard 14-42 II?

The pancake is very capable here is shot taken one handed (I was using the E-M1 on the tripod at the time) at 1/6 sec with the 14-42 EZ on my E-M5

the-aproaching-sea by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
The pancake is very capable here is shot taken one handed (I was using the E-M1 on the tripod at the time) at 1/6 sec with the 14-42 EZ on my E-M5

the-aproaching-sea by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Amazing pic! Congrats.

Was this taken with a black or silver camera? I have heard the black ones take better pics?!

I never knew choosing a colour was so taking!

+ Quote
Amazing pic! Congrats.

Was this taken with a black or silver camera? I have heard the black ones take better pics?!

I never knew choosing a colour was so taking!

Both of my OMD's are black and they work fine for me any choice based on colour of camera must only have a phsycological difference to results I am sure.

I need some input from you guys about E-M10 vs E-M1.
E-M10 can be had for £380 in UK then take off £75 cashback = £305
E-M1 can be had body only from HDEW for £535.

I was going to get the E-M10 but then I heard that the E-M10 MK II is about to be announced in August so E-M10 will probably fall in value further. I also wonder if MK II will bring possibly better sensor and move to 5 axis IBIS over 3 etc. There are probably reasons to wait in case it is pitched at similar price point with just slightly better features.

When I saw how cheap HDEW were doing E-M1 bodies now I thought it was a no brainer having the flagship model, but then I thought, what do I actually get over the E-M10? Can you guys help me with that? I know it has a better (bigger) grip which I like. I know E-M1 has phase detect focus but there seems to be a debate as to whether this is worth having or not? In some forum posts I see people saying it can be slower due to this. I thought the benefit was that phase detect gave much better AF-C performance, i.e. sports and tracking fast subjects? Then I read some reviews say this is not relevant unless you are using the larger, older four thirds lenses. E-M1 I know is weather sealed and I believe has a 1/8000th max shutter speed over the 1/4000th E-M10 as well, plus 5 axis IBIS. Anything else?

Thanks

I've had the 10 and have the 1. For me, the 1 is better balanced due to the grip and I like the weather sealing. The 5 axis IBIS is good of course - this was taken handheld with a 0.8 second exposure

orbs by damianmkv, on Flickr

Not sure I could tell how much better it is compared to 3 axis. The e-m1 definitely tracks better than the e-m10 but it's not DSLR-like ( I need more practice ). You won't get any better IQ and reviews say that the 1 is worse than the 10 for long exposures but I've not done any.

I'm glad I went for the e-m1, it just sits better in my hand than the 10 did

So are we expecting a mk2 em10 really soon? Just when I was set to purchase!

Which of these is most effective on mirrorless system, linear polariser or circular,?.

The EM10 is at an affordable price point for me right now so thinking of putting the fact that the mk2 may be round the corner to the back of my mind.

Thinking I might just be able to afford the body and pancake zoom, 40-150 and maybe the 40mm.

I'm still lost at the colour choice. Buy my favourite... I like them both for different reasons! Are both finishes as durable as each other?

The EM10 is at an affordable price point for me right now so thinking of putting the fact that the mk2 may be round the corner to the back of my mind.

Thinking I might just be able to afford the body and pancake zoom, 40-150 and maybe the 40mm.

I'm still lost at the colour choice. Buy my favourite... I like them both for different reasons! Are both finishes as durable as each other?

I have silver ( so wifey wouldn't notice the upgrade :D ), suits the retro feel.

You'll be fine with the em10 - I'd guess that the mk2 will be £799

Anyways, one from Brighton yesterday

bird's eye view of beach life by damianmkv, on Flickr

Last edited:
Triple post.... How did I manage that! I would love one of each colour but can't afford it! Silver does look very retro! Do all lenses come in both colours?

Saying that the silver one in the shop had black 14-42 ez on and it looked good. I imagine the silver lens on black body might look odd!!

I've got the silver em10 and a selection of both black & silver lenses. The advantage is that they both look right on the silver whereas I'm not sure that a silver lens would work on a black body. I spent some time trying to decide on which colour to choose beforehand and I haven't regretted it for a moment.
I've had mine for about two months now, the cash back offer was very useful and I'm really not bothered if they upgrade to a mkII in a few weeks or months as it does everything I want (another reason for me not buying a 5 or 1). I have suffered from GAS which was an unexpected side effect of moving to M43. Thankfully everything is so much smaller than for a DSLR so I'm getting away with more that I would have done before.

Last edited:
I have a pair of E-M5Mark II bodies, one silver and one black and two black lenses and one silver one.
I think the black bodies + black lenses look smart, however when you are actually shooting, provided you have set both bodies up the same, you can't tell the difference when looking through the viewfinder.

First time I have heard of HDEW on this forum. I read the trust pilot reviews, and seems to get great feedback. Guessing that they are a good company to buy expensive kit of based on that?

i used them for a nikon 85mm 1.8g - it took about 5 days to arrive. Good pricing although you may need to chase as communication is sometimes a bit lacking. They usually order from their supplier when you order with them i believe

I bought my e-m5 from them 2 years back, came with their own warranty rather than an Olympus one - but they were cheaper than anyone else at the time.
Quick email confirmations/delivery etc so I was happy.

Looking back, the delivery box (not the Olympus one) was mangled in transit and they offered an instant exchange if there were any camera problems. Camera was fine and I'd buy from them again.

Last edited:
If anyone is selling a 12-40 please let me know, bearing in mind hdew have them at £519 new.

If anyone is selling a 12-40 please let me know, bearing in mind hdew have them at £519 new.

After initially getting into m4/3 with the EM10 I progressed to the EM1 and 12-40 pro and initially I didn't like it as it wasn't what turned me on about they system in the first place (I.e. Small and light). However it has become an amazingly reliable and dependable combo which does pretty much anything. Sure, a bit shallower dof would be nice sometimes (but at other times not) but as an all round combo it is fab.

Got this today, slight crop (working in low res, transferred wirelessly to my iPad, another thing I love about this)

View attachment 42241

Yep, it's known as a hummingbird hawk moth, sometimes seen in the UK in hot years but I'm currently in St-Emilion in the south of France.

Yep, it's known as a hummingbird hawk moth, sometimes seen in the UK in hot years but I'm currently in St-Emilion in the south of France.
Ooh that's good! We had one in our front garden a few years ago (in Cambridge) as it flitted around a buddleia bush but I couldn't track it well enough to get a sharp shot of it :(

I bought my 12 -40 from HDEW and it was so cheap I bought the E-M5 with it.

Well I have one offer on the table so will be parting with my pennies today :D

Ps - awesome shot Ned :clap:

Hi all. Seems like the most appropriate place to ask this.

I'm off to India next week and a bit limited on luggage so decided to leave my Nikon kit at home and have bought a used E-M5. It'll be the second one I've had so I know I like them. I just hope I can afford to keep hold of it when i get back!

I need a lens or two (or three!) to go with it. Was thinking a widish prime, a standard prime and maybe a tele zoom. I don't want to spend a fortune but I can justify maybe £400 or so total as I can always sell on when I return. My intital thoughts were Panasonic 14mm 2.5, Olympus 25mm 1.8 (or should I opt for the cheaper panasonic 20mm 1.7?) and maybe an Olympus 40-150 if i have any money left.

Does that sound a decent idea? Any no brainer alternatives?

Back