Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Some excellent images there Alf, and proof M43 can hold its own with most other formats.

Has anyone a recommendation for a flash to use on my EM1 for a beginner to using flash?

Nissin i40. I had one briefly but sold it due to lack of use

Also HDR I noticed it's kinda slow when you take a HDR shot, compared to other cameras I've has they were quick doing their 3 shots but this is kinda slow and can blur more easily, any settings here to speed that up?

Were your HDR shots also in a darkened room at ISO4000? If so, the blurring suggests a long shutter speed per shot.
If it's doing 3 x 0.25 second exposures it's going to feel a little slow - though you don't need HDR under artificial lighting, only really strong contrast scenes with sunlight in the shot.
Should be much faster in daylight...

Last edited:
Stand by for some basic questions about the M5 mark2 as I am waiting for my purchase to arrive.

Thinking of adding the 40-150 lens to the collection or the 100-300 how does image quality compare between the two, much in it?

Nissin Di466 ordered from jessops for under 65 quid.

Most of the time I'm looking for great landscape pictures on the web I come across Full Frame cams. D800, 5D2, 6D as most common ones.
Is there any other benefit to it than resolution for big prints or cropping? I guess same age sensors have a little bit more potential in DR and ISO noise?

Background: I have an older Full Frame model from canon and my next destiantion is new zealand. Its a landscape photographers dream and i am pondering about switching to Olympus, because its appr. half the weight and I see many positiv reviews on the net up to "you wont see a difference/better than 5 year old full frame sensors" I can'Ät figure it out if its "good enough" for me - especially with the new handling and learning involved (I can use my equip with closed eyes most of the time).

I have a Canon 5D, full frame, (C2005) as well as a Canon 70D and a pair of Olympus E-M5 Mark II.
I feel the Olympus IQ is better than the 5D, however is not as good as the 70D.
The Olympus does meet my needs for web publshing and prints up to 10x8 (or A4).

I have printed A3+ sizes from my M5 and they are all OK. I have won a camera club competition with an A3 print.

It's fine - especially when you consider the price. But it's a little soft at the long end so I hardly ever use mine.

Cheers Damian, i will look for tests against the 100-300 on the net and make a decision which route to take.

For those buying the Di466, I have a couple, great flashes.
Couple of options if you want to add swivel use - buy a Canon TTL flash cord and either hold the nissin in one hand to wall bounce. Also using the TTL cord you can get a flash bracket that'll clamp to the tripod mount and hold the flash next to/above the camera.
I'm looking to get the i40 to save a little weight.

Thinking of adding the 40-150 lens to the collection or the 100-300 how does image quality compare between the two, much in it?

Here's a shot from Monday with the cheap 40-150 at 125mm. At the price you pay for this lens its worth a punt in my view and as an ex-100-300 owner, I prefer the 40-150, Although they have different uses.

P8170007_zpsnijbiaz9.jpg

Nice shot Glenn, do you prefer the 40-150 due to the smaller size over the 100-300 or is purely a more pleasing focal length for your needs?

Nice shot Glenn, do you prefer the 40-150 due to the smaller size over the 100-300 or is purely a more pleasing focal length for your needs?

Thanks. the 40-150 is so small and light it's a no-brainer to have with you. The 100-300 disappointed at full stretch, so I ditched it and got a 4/3 50-200 SWD instead. Another no-brainer providing you don't mind the weight. Not quite the reach but better quality of image.

Back