Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Firmware 4.1 for the EM1 is out. - Improves image stabilisation.

Don't forget the update for the EM5ii too! Same fix. I've not noticed a problem with IBIS though.

But 'more' interestingly, the update does not, repeat NOT, wipe your settings. Which is a shame. As I went to all the trouble of writing down each setting I changed from the default at the last firmware update. Bah!

I'll not bother doing it though. Olympus make it such a pain to do.

Last edited:
Impressive images Alf................I especially like Nos. 1 & 3 :)

Anyone using i40 flash find it underexposed in ttl?
Just did a batch off camera. And it was fine. Be sure the camera is not set to minus values. And check that the power dial on the flash has not been accidentally changed. That dial "loves" to move around by accident.

My understanding is the new update is to correct a fault and not really improve or add anything, this is probably why it can remember the settings (and why, if you think about it it is tricky to keep them when adding new features as the map will be totally different).

Anyway, I'm not really one for 'testing' things but thought I'd see what the IBIS could do after this 'improvement' and indoors, at shortish focal distance (so shake is magnified) I could easily achieve pin sharp shots at 80mm equivalent at 1/8 and a reasonable number of sharp shots at 1/3, which is pretty amazing I reckon - around 3.5 stops to 1/8.

I normally have it set up so the IBIS just helps what I'd normally call marginal shutter speeds but with this level of stabilisation at short tele it is actually a tool to think about, especially to keep the ISO lower.

My understanding is the new update is to correct a fault and not really improve or add anything, this is probably why it can remember the settings (and why, if you think about it it is tricky to keep them when adding new features as the map will be totally different).

Anyway, I'm not really one for 'testing' things but thought I'd see what the IBIS could do after this 'improvement' and indoors, at shortish focal distance (so shake is magnified) I could easily achieve pin sharp shots at 80mm equivalent at 1/8 and a reasonable number of sharp shots at 1/3, which is pretty amazing I reckon - around 3.5 stops to 1/8.

I normally have it set up so the IBIS just helps what I'd normally call marginal shutter speeds but with this level of stabilisation at short tele it is actually a tool to think about, especially to keep the ISO lower.
I assume you mean longer focal lengths magnify camera shake?
Anyway, it is impressive to say the least, I've actually managed shots at 40mm (80mm eq) at 1s hand held :eek:

I assume you mean longer focal lengths magnify camera shake?

Yes that, but magnification (and therefore shake) is also a factor of distance. It is obvious at macro distances and less of an impact as you move further away but it is real :)

Yes that, but magnification (and therefore shake) is also a factor of distance. It is obvious at macro distances and less of an impact as you move further away but it is real :)
Ahh yes you said focal distance not focal length didn't you, sorry my bad ;)

Well, I've got the 12-40, the first thing that struck me was the weight and size of the lens, also the quality of it, had a little play with it the house last night - hoping to get out at the weekend and try it out. very impressed so far.
Below is a picture of my full kit, nice and compact. EM10 with grip, 12-40mm & 45mm.
20160204_184122~2.jpg

Olympus OMD EM10......Circumcision.

Forgive me if this has been aired before..

My 2nd hand EM10 had a flaw. The remote release would not fire the shutter.

A bit of research told me that the plug that fits the camera needed cutting back a bit. The camera came with a remote release, but most likely not an Olympus one.

I bought another from Ebay, but that had the same problem.

Anyway, after a little procedure, my remote release is firmly cosher. (Sorry if anyone is offended)

Pictures of before and after.

Simple solution my boy..............

Before.JPG After.JPG

I still need to update the last firmware yet....Must look into how to do it :)
It's really easy to do, just download the Olympus camera updater from the Olympus website then hook up your camera tot he computer and install the latest firmware. Takes around 10 minutes to complete.
If I can do it, anyone can!

Olympus OMD EM10......Circumcision.

Forgive me if this has been aired before..

My 2nd hand EM10 had a flaw. The remote release would not fire the shutter.

A bit of research told me that the plug that fits the camera needed cutting back a bit. The camera came with a remote release, but most likely not an Olympus one.

I bought another from Ebay, but that had the same problem.

Anyway, after a little procedure, my remote release is firmly cosher. (Sorry if anyone is offended)

Pictures of before and after.

Simple solution my boy..............

View attachment 56144 View attachment 56145
Not had an issue with my shutter release, never had to cut anything. Which ones have you tried?

Ah well, as said the one that came with the camera did not work. No brand name. Did your new camera come with an Olympus shutter release?

I bought another Ebay release called the shooter, which did not work either. Also the EPL5 release did not work!!

Having read an article on the web, many other EM10 owners had the same problem. solved by the circumcision!!

May just be its a fault with the camera socket after all.

However, two shutter releases now work just fine.

Mj

It's really easy to do, just download the Olympus camera updater from the Olympus website then hook up your camera tot he computer and install the latest firmware. Takes around 10 minutes to complete.
If I can do it, anyone can!
Except the software is crippled. It only works on Windows or Mac only. Buck up Olympus!

Ah well, as said the one that came with the camera did not work. No brand name. Did your new camera come with an Olympus shutter release?

I bought another Ebay release called the shooter, which did not work either. Also the EPL5 release did not work!!

Having read an article on the web, many other EM10 owners had the same problem. solved by the circumcision!!

May just be its a fault with the camera socket after all.

However, two shutter releases now work just fine.

Mj
Don't recall it coming with a shutter release tbh, but is long gone now. Don't think my EM5-II did either, will have to check the box. I still use the remote shutter I bought for the EM10.

Just a heads up if anyone is looking for a 12-40mm, a chap on a facebook group I've bought stuff from is selling one for £368 (wish I'd have waited a week) He's also selling a 40-150mm for £760 (don't know if thats cheap or not really as I haven't been looking for one)

You probably have to join the group to see the post

https://www.facebook.com/groups/buysellolympusOMDgear/
That's cheap for the 12-40mm, assuming it's in good nick of course.

That's cheap for the 12-40mm, assuming it's in good nick of course.

I says excellent condition, theres a phone number as well. I've spoken to people on the phone and or made sure theres been plenty of messages back and forth when buying from facebook.

Folks, I'm having a dilemma and maybe you guys can sort it out. My D610 is going and I'm going to replace it with an E-M5 Mkii or E-M1. They're both similar price wise at the moment.

I know all the spec differences etc and generally I'm leaning towards the E-M5 but the one thing putting me off is the grip. When I had the Mk1 version, I found that I used the olympus half grip all the time as it made the camera far easier to hold. Is the Mk2 broadly the same or will I get away without having to shell out for a grip?

Folks, I'm having a dilemma and maybe you guys can sort it out. My D610 is going and I'm going to replace it with an E-M5 Mkii or E-M1. They're both similar price wise at the moment.

I know all the spec differences etc and generally I'm leaning towards the E-M5 but the one thing putting me off is the grip. When I had the Mk1 version, I found that I used the olympus half grip all the time as it made the camera far easier to hold. Is the Mk2 broadly the same or will I get away without having to shell out for a grip?
The Mkii is pretty much the same size and shape but the controls just sit better,

The Mkii is pretty much the same size and shape but the controls just sit better,

Cheers. I maybe should factor in a grip then. Particularly as I'll going for a 12-40 which is a heavier lens that I've used on the Mk1.

Part of the issue is that I'll ultimately likely want an l bracket of some description and they're rarely compatible with a gripped body. All of the one's seen so far have their grip built in but that doesn't have the additional shutter button or dial built in.

The grip is available as just the landscape grip without the battery part.

The grip is available as just the landscape grip without the battery part.

Yeah, saw that at wex. Think it's about £125 but haven't got my head around how I'd fit an L-bracket to it. Unless I buy a cheap l-bracket as well and just use that when I'm out with tripod. Slightly inelegant and pricy solution but possible. The E-M1 gets around all this but I'm not drawn to it nearly as much for some reason. I think it just looks a bit too serious!

I was also looking at the E-M1 and E-M5 MKII and decided to go with the E-M5 as I prefer less bulk and can then add on an extra grip if needed

At the moment, you can get the HLD-8 battery grip for the same price as the landscape grip from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SMPLI60

As you pointed out it doesn't have an L bracket unless you get the ECG-2 (and even then, there is no additional dial and shutter button). The ECG-2 is too expensive for what it is so I decided to order a cheaper copy from eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321931492630

I was also looking at the E-M1 and E-M5 MKII and decided to go with the E-M5 as I prefer less bulk and can then add on an extra grip if needed

At the moment, you can get the HLD-8 battery grip for the same price as the landscape grip from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SMPLI60

As you pointed out it doesn't have an L bracket unless you get the ECG-2 (and even then, there is no additional dial and shutter button). The ECG-2 is too expensive for what it is so I decided to order a cheaper copy from eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321931492630

Cheers. How do you find the eBay one? Can you swivel the screen with the L part in place? I notice there is an even cheaper neewer one but grip is not rubberised.

Cheers. How do you find the eBay one? Can you swivel the screen with the L part in place? I notice there is an even cheaper neewer one but grip is not rubberised.

I haven't received it yet as it has been marked as dispatched at the end of last week so I cannot tell you my opinion of it but the main reason I did buy it was that I read on some forum somewhere that it may be a clone of the original. As it was hard to find review for clone grips, I looked at the review of the original to form an opinion
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3822169#forum-post-55569619

Having a lazy day as I decided to upgrade my bootcamp to Windows 10 - it's taking a while and now I remember why I use Mac, I digress...

Above I said I was getting a good keeper level at 1/8 with the 12-40 pro at 40mm so I thought I'd try the 40-150 pro. I'm getting a good success rate at 1/20 (150mm) which is really quite something for an equivalent 300mm - that's 4 stops! I can get down to 1/10 if I brace myself against something solid. Obviously getting to 1/20 requires some attention on technique and you couldn't just spray and pray but still...

As said earlier, I never tried these things before so can't say if fw4.1 is any better than previously but I am getting really good performance from it.

It bodes well for the Leica 100-400 which I'm considering over the Oly 300, the concern is that the Oly has that amazing dual IS which would be a really useful feature but if the IBIS can stabilise the Leica to 4 stops that would mitigate that concern somewhat and the flexibility of the zoom becomes more attractive.

Just been on a shoot and whilst I am happy with the quality of the images I found the write speed very frustrating during the shoot.Is there anything that can be done to speed this up or is it just a characteristic of the camera?

For info I am using a Class 10 Card rated at 30MB/s

Ta

Last edited:
Faster cards obviously, then if you're writing in RAW+JPEG then just shoot RAW or JPEG, with JPEG obviously being faster.

Which camera are you using as I've not found the EM5-II particularly slow, and I don't remember my EM10 being particularly slow.

Noise reduction was on Auto , what difference would that make?

Last edited:
Sorry , should have mentioned its an EM10. And shooting RAW only

I thought I was using a fairly fast card , will investigate what is available.

Just looking to see if noise reduction is on , what difference would that make?

It only makes a difference if you are taking long exposures, in which case it takes a blank image of the same length as the exposure you've just taken (effectively an image of the sensor) and subtracts it form the image. It reduces noise but if you've just taken a 15 minute exposure you need to wait another 15 minutes for the dark frame (as they are known).

I'm pretty sure I've noticed it taking effect on shorter exposures as well...Might be wrong though

Just having a look, might be wrong :)

Last edited:
Back