Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I was doing a natural light shoot. Shutter speed typically not less than about 1/500

Noise reduction was on Auto , what difference would that make?

Noise reduction is for long exposures so if you are taking anything over (I think) 2 seconds then it will activate and double your exposure time.

Noise filter is for high ISO, I'd recommend setting that to off or low.

I was doing a natural light shoot. Shutter speed typically not less than about 1/500
Single shot RAW at these speeds is a fraction of a second for me. Obviously if you use burst and fill the buffer it will take longer to write. I tend to use 95mbs cards, but occasionally 60mbs ones.

Just been on a shoot and whilst I am happy with the quality of the images I found the write speed very frustrating during the shoot.Is there anything that can be done to speed this up or is it just a characteristic of the camera?

For info I am using a Class 10 Card rated at 30MB/s

Ta

If it rated at 30mb/s then that is the read speed, write speed will be much lower than that. From memory the EM10 write speed is around 30mb/s so you probably want a card with a headline speed of 60mb/s or so.

FWIW I use Transcend cards that have 90mb/s read, 60mb/s write and they are faster than my EM1. Nice and cheap with lifetime warranty, never had any problems with them.

Noise reduction is for long exposures so if you are taking anything over (I think) 2 seconds then it will activate and double your exposure time.

Noise filter is for high ISO, I'd recommend setting that to off or low.

Do either of these have an effect on raw files or just jpeg?

Faster card it is then, nice cheap fix.
Just as a bye the bye, I was using the Panny 20mm and the Oly 45mmm and whilst images from the former were nice, the images with the 45 were excellent ( in my eyes anyway) I'm tempted to get the Oly 25mm to see if it is as good.

Faster card it is then, nice cheap fix.
Just as a bye the bye, I was using the Panny 20mm and the Oly 45mmm and whilst images from the former were nice, the images with the 45 were excellent ( in my eyes anyway) I'm tempted to get the Oly 25mm to see if it is as good.
I prefer the 45mm to the 20mm too, AF's faster too.

I use these cards which I find to be excellent:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDXC/Transcend/Transcend-64GB-U3-UHS-1-SDXC-Card---95MB_s

I had a bad experience with Lexar so don't use them although in fairness it seems everyone had an issue with the model of card I had - all others seem good. Sandisk are what most people use and I have some of those but the Transcend ones seem the best balance of speed/price/quality and I would happily recommend them - when I need new cards I will default to those.

The Oly 45mm is an amazing lens, not just at the price but full stop, some of their more expensive lenses don't come close in terms of IQ. Regarding 25mm lenses, have a read of Robin Wong's test of the Oly vs Pana-Leica which is very informative.

Some great work there!

Another question for you folk. In changing over to m4/3, I'll be purchasing a 12-40 2.8 as it seems universally praised and almost a 'must have'. On my shopping list are also the 17mm 1.8 and 9-18mm. I'm just starting to question whether I need either.

I like the idea of the 17mm because it would make a nice lens just to carry around, I'm quite a fan of 35mm equiv focal length generally. But the 12-40 potentially has this covered, though with a penalty in terms of portability. Does anybody own both, and do you find you still use the 17mm?

The 9-18 is easier to make a case for as it goes nice and wide but there is a lot of overlap there. Again, anybody own both and find they use both?

I own all the lenses you mention and the 12-40 is, by a long way, my most used lens; it is optically much better than the 17mm but then it is much bigger and heavier too.

Basically the 17mm only ever gets used if I'm looking for ultimate portability or need the extra f-stop, which is rare, not least because I don't overly like 35mm FoV and the IBIS is very very good. I actually prefer the 28mm equiv of the Panasonic 14mm which is a fantastic lens, sharp, small and cheap (smaller than the O17). Also, the Oly 17mm isn't on a par with their other primes optically, it is perfectly good but isn't as sharp as others and suffers CA at the edges, neither of which the other Oly primes suffer.

That said, one of my favourite street photographers uses and EM10 and 17mm and I love his work.

I also have the 9-18 which is great as it is small and light so no reason not to carry it. I also have the Samyang 7.5mm which can be easily de-fished in post to give a much wider view than the 9-18 and is rather a fun lens. However, I tend to find the 12mm of the Pro wide enough for most situations which is one of the reasons why it stays on the camera.

My advice would be to get the 12-40 pro and live with it for a while, it might be all you want/need.

Some great work there!

Another question for you folk. In changing over to m4/3, I'll be purchasing a 12-40 2.8 as it seems universally praised and almost a 'must have'. On my shopping list are also the 17mm 1.8 and 9-18mm. I'm just starting to question whether I need either.

I like the idea of the 17mm because it would make a nice lens just to carry around, I'm quite a fan of 35mm equiv focal length generally. But the 12-40 potentially has this covered, though with a penalty in terms of portability. Does anybody own both, and do you find you still use the 17mm?

The 9-18 is easier to make a case for as it goes nice and wide but there is a lot of overlap there. Again, anybody own both and find they use both?
9-18mm is a very good lens. I'd use the 12-40mm as a general walkabout and the occasional landscape, and the 9-18mm for dedicated landscape.

I own all the lenses you mention and the 12-40 is, by a long way, my most used lens; it is optically much better than the 17mm but then it is much bigger and heavier too.

Basically the 17mm only ever gets used if I'm looking for ultimate portability or need the extra f-stop, which is rare, not least because I don't overly like 35mm FoV and the IBIS is very very good. I actually prefer the 28mm equiv of the Panasonic 14mm which is a fantastic lens, sharp, small and cheap (smaller than the O17). Also, the Oly 17mm isn't on a par with their other primes optically, it is perfectly good but isn't as sharp as others and suffers CA at the edges, neither of which the other Oly primes suffer.

That said, one of my favourite street photographers uses and EM10 and 17mm and I love his work.

I also have the 9-18 which is great as it is small and light so no reason not to carry it. I also have the Samyang 7.5mm which can be easily de-fished in post to give a much wider view than the 9-18 and is rather a fun lens. However, I tend to find the 12mm of the Pro wide enough for most situations which is one of the reasons why it stays on the camera.

My advice would be to get the 12-40 pro and live with it for a while, it might be all you want/need.

Cheers. This is great info. Interesting that you mention the 14mm Panasonic. I've had one in this past when I last dabbled in m4/3 and I liked it but it never bowled my over. But maybe that is fine given it's tiny size and tiny asking price.

Cheers. Off to read some more reviews!
If you can be bothered to sift through my images there's some on there with the 12-40mm and some with the 9-18mm (and other lenses) which may give you an idea what the lenses can do in the hands of a numpty. My Venice pics are all with the 12-40mm iirc, and most of the Monsal Dale album are with the 9-18mm. There's some in the Derbyshire Landscape album too.

Last edited:
If you can be bothered to sift through my images there's some on there with the 12-40mm and some with the 9-18mm (and other lenses) which may give you an idea what the lenses can do in the hands of a numpty. My Venice pics are all with the 12-40mm iirc, and most of the Monsal Dale album are with the 9-18mm. There's some in the Derbyshire Landscape album too.

Will do just that. Cheers.

Last edited:
14-42 ez..

Getting a little "want" for narrower DoF than my m43 lenses offer - they're lovely and sharp, I just wish that my most used lenses were 1.8 rather than 2.8 at times. It's not the end of the world, I just would like some more subject separation without faffing in post. Will have to make an effort to use the 25 more..

Last edited:
Cheers Alf. That 14-42 is very neat. How do you find its performance?

I find the AF Gopod and MF is very good power zoom is fine and if you follow the links to my previous posting with shots I think it is fine for sharpness too.
It means the E-M5 Mkii can go in a coat pocket.

I find the AF Gopod and MF is very good power zoom is fine and if you follow the links to my previous posting with shots I think it is fine for sharpness too.
It means the E-M5 Mkii can go in a coat pocket.

It does look very handy. I might well opt for one of those for general out and about stuff.

There is a new, free Smartphone app from Kevin Perkins that connects to Olympus cameras via WIFI "auto downloads RAW and/or JPG images as they are shot."

It's new and probably needs testing and feedback. I found it here on mu43.com.
"Oly-oop is a wireless tethering app that works with any Olympus camera with wi-fi.
In order to use Oly-oop you must first connect to your camera's wi-fi from your device as you normally would for the official app.
- Automatically downloads RAW and/or JPG images from compatible cameras as they are shot
- Use in conjunction with your favorite image viewing or editing app (images are downloaded to the "Oly-oop" folder)
- Widget available to turn tethering on/off
- Notification appears when tethering is on allowing tethering to be easily stopped from within any app
Compatible Cameras: OM-D E-M1, OM-D E-M10, PEN E-P5, STYLUS 1, TG-3, and SH-1"

Last edited:
To save you looking here's some (can't compete with Alf though)

Link to some with the 12-40mm a couple of pages earlier
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2-owners-thread.395080/page-182#post-7247130

And then the 9-18mm
P7092340 re-edit mono 2 by TDG-77, on Flickr
P6132016 re-edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

Just to wrap this up. I decided against the 9-18 in the end. It was a close run thing but I decided to skip the 17 1.8 and 9-18 and put that money towards a 40-150 2.8. I think I'll get more use from it. Time will tell. I briefly pondered that 7-14 but I think for what I do, the tele will be more useful.

So I'm going for:

EM5ii
12-40 2.8
45mm 1.8
40-150 2.8
1.4x TC

Just to wrap this up. I decided against the 9-18 in the end. It was a close run thing but I decided to skip the 17 1.8 and 9-18 and put that money towards a 40-150 2.8. I think I'll get more use from it. Time will tell. I briefly pondered that 7-14 but I think for what I do, the tele will be more useful.

So I'm going for:

EM5ii
12-40 2.8
45mm 1.8
40-150 2.8
1.4x TC
If you are at all interested Graham, I've just put all my EM1 kit up for sale in Classifieds. Finally decided I miss my DSLR too much!

If you are at all interested Graham, I've just put all my EM1 kit up for sale in Classifieds. Finally decided I miss my DSLR too much!

I think I'm all fixed up now but I'll check. Hope the transition goes smoothly and thanks for your help.

I think I'm all fixed up now but I'll check. Hope the transition goes smoothly and thanks for your help.
No problem, I just know I'm not going to be as happy as I was with hoping to be with M43 given my main interest. Hope you get along well with yours though, I know you have both systems which is what I should have done...hindsight is a wonderful thing, frustration isn't!

Sorry, another noobie question.

On the E-M5ii, hi-res mode in raw, can lightroom CC handle the files? i.e. Do you just get a normal *.orf file that just happens to have way more pixels?

Sorry, another noobie question.

On the E-M5ii, hi-res mode in raw, can lightroom CC handle the files? i.e. Do you just get a normal *.orf file that just happens to have way more pixels?

Ignore me. I found the answer buried in the google

Graham, if you fancy a small cheap wideangle the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye is excellent, cheap and small. It defishes to similar corner resolution as the 9-18mm.
In the end I bought the Panasonic 7-14mm, but will still keep the samyang for when I want a backup tiny wide lens.
Just try and remember to keep your feet out of shot...like I always remember to...ahem!

Last edited:
Back