Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Well i have decided to stay with m43 system, was looking at going full frame but the cost of the lenses put me off. Then started looking at the Panasonic GX8 but read a few reports of shutter shock so decided to stay with Olympus. I have just paid for an E-M1 and the 12-40....who needs full frame anyway!

Well i have decided to stay with m43 system, was looking at going full frame but the cost of the lenses put me off. Then started looking at the Panasonic GX8 but read a few reports of shutter shock so decided to stay with Olympus. I have just paid for an E-M1 and the 12-40....who needs full frame anyway!

I had a Nikon D610 and my m43 at the same time and ended up selling the Nikon kit as I was having to look at 100% and actually look for differences to find them. Yes FF is better but not by as much as many think, especially given the quality of the lenses available. Sure, in some situations a FF camera would be preferable but that isn't actually that often.

That was taken with em1, love it now I'm used to the menu not that you need to go into much, would like the GX8 as another body

I had a Nikon D610 and my m43 at the same time and ended up selling the Nikon kit as I was having to look at 100% and actually look for differences to find them. Yes FF is better but not by as much as many think, especially given the quality of the lenses available. Sure, in some situations a FF camera would be preferable but that isn't actually that often.

It's the shallow DOF i was wanting but when looking at other systems i think i realised i prefer m43/mirrorless systems compared to my crop sensor Nikon i had previously.

Differences aren't that big anymore, I don't regret changing, tbh I wish I'd done it sooner

That was taken with em1, love it now I'm used to the menu not that you need to go into much, would like the GX8 as another body
The menu system is crazy but i shoot in aperture mode and set my iso to auto. I then only play about with the aperture and exposure comp so like you say i dont really dig in the menu that often.

I must admit at first I thought "WHAT HAVE I DONE" [emoji3] but it's really not so bad, just takes getting used to but now I've set it the way I want everything is on the outside, I loved my d7100 but I prefer this now, never thought I'd say that.

A friend has a white boxer mad as can bloody hatter i dog sat her once never again lol.
They're all mad and full of character, he's my third, another one in pipeline, we lost this one just before Xmas with a brain tumour, he was so calm a gentle giant1468791188278.jpg

Last edited:
They're all mad and full of character, he's my third, another one in pipeline, we lost this one just before Xmas with a brain tumour, he was so calm a gentle giantView attachment 69372
That's such a shame to loose what is a family member I was really shocked when we !ost 1 of our bichons she was a funny little thing the boxers definitely have loads of character when we looked after my friends boxer kirsty she was just 11 months old and really strong my Mrs ended up wrapping her lead around a lamppost to stop being dragged over

That's such a shame to loose what is a family member I was really shocked when we !ost 1 of our bichons she was a funny little thing the boxers definitely have loads of character when we looked after my friends boxer kirsty she was just 11 months old and really strong my Mrs ended up wrapping her lead around a lamppost to stop being dragged over
He was only 5 which makes it worse

I've gone down a few hills [emoji3]

Mine has cost an arm and a leg in vets bills - unfortunately they have lots of problems health wise, but like you say are such characters. we've had boxers for the past 15 years. My Murphy is 7 and still acts like a pup.

Mine has cost an arm and a leg in vets bills - unfortunately they have lots of problems health wise, but like you say are such characters. we've had boxers for the past 15 years. My Murphy is 7 and still acts like a pup.
Same here, our first two cost a fortune, we're unlucky but boxers are prone to cancer and tumours unfortunately.

Very odd behaviour from my em1 yesterday. I went to a local car meet and posted a couple of photos to my Instagram from the camera via wifi. Afterwards, I noticed they looked a bit green. When I got home, I looked at my photos on the laptop - hmmm, they look green. Took some photos around the house...green...

So I delved into the menus and altered one of the white balance settings which has made everything as it should be. Now, in the time I've had the camera I've never been in to that menu so I have no idea how it was changed

Good job I shoot RAW..

Very odd behaviour from my em1 yesterday. I went to a local car meet and posted a couple of photos to my Instagram from the camera via wifi. Afterwards, I noticed they looked a bit green. When I got home, I looked at my photos on the laptop - hmmm, they look green. Took some photos around the house...green...

So I delved into the menus and altered one of the white balance settings which has made everything as it should be. Now, in the time I've had the camera I've never been in to that menu so I have no idea how it was changed

Good job I shoot RAW..
if its set on your camera to change iso on one of the buttons followed by turning the dial, the second dial does the wb well it does on the mk1 em10 and its easy to get the wrong one.

Oh ok, never knew that thanks. It's a possibility as the lever was a position 2 when I took it from my bag..

A clever trick we discovered with the E-M10 is the way nudging an 'arrow' button on the back moves the focus point around the screen in semi-random fashion - stupidly annoying because there's no clue in the EVF where the focus point is until you half-press. Cue much frustration from the wife until it was relocated in the middle.

The E-M1 is here....very pleased i decided to stay with m43 and Olympus, it fits my hand so much better and is better balanced with the 12-40 compared to my gripped E-M10. Now i need to try and get out and use the thing!

The E-M1 is here....very pleased i decided to stay with m43 and Olympus, it fits my hand so much better and is better balanced with the 12-40 compared to my gripped E-M10. Now i need to try and get out and use the thing!
Yes enjoy , takes a while to set it up as I found out but once you have its a joy to use

the balance of the em1 ( especially with the heavier lenses attached ) compared to the 10 is what made me think " thank God I made the change" to start with, Jon.

Am sure you'll enjoy using it

Yes, i used the feature a few times to send pictures to my phone.
Still debating a second body, still edging GX8 but keeping options open, used to rubbish WiFi but I find it very useful nowadays, how times change [emoji6]

the balance of the em1 ( especially with the heavier lenses attached ) compared to the 10 is what made me think " thank God I made the change" to start with, Jon.

Am sure you'll enjoy using it
Just had a 20 minute wander around a sports field near where i live, the balance of the body and lens is brillant ...what strap do you use? I'm thinking of trying a sling type, as I'm not keen on a camera dangling round my neck.

Just received the Panasonic 100-300 bit wobbly with the ois at the long end but with the 5 axis steady as a rock, brilliant
Such a small package for 600mm

Last edited:
Just received the Panasonic 100-300 bit wobbly with the ois at the long end but with the 5 axis steady as a rock, brilliant
Such a small package for 600mm
Thats another thing ive noticed, 5 axis I.S is so much better than the E-M10's which i think 3 axis and that is still good!

Heads up, Jessops have the Olympus 12mm F2.0 online for £300

Just had a 20 minute wander around a sports field near where i live, the balance of the body and lens is brillant ...what strap do you use? I'm thinking of trying a sling type, as I'm not keen on a camera dangling round my neck.
Black Rapid which I originally bought for my Nikon gear but works just as well with the EM1. It just lies to your side until you need it and is comfortable with all the lens ranges, wether it be the 45mm f1.8 0r the 40-150 f2.8 Pro

Thanks, I was looking a Black Rapids but I'm a tight sod and the price put me off, i then found a sling strap call Op-Tech sling on Amazon for £14.99 i think i might try that.

Thanks, I was looking a Black Rapids but I'm a tight sod and the price put me off, i then found a sling strap call Op-Tech sling on Amazon for £14.99 i think i might try that.
The peak design ones are great but they are quite pricey

Just buy similar, I did works a treat
I paid £5, used to use it with a d7100 and Tamron 150-600, still in perfect condition

Last edited:
Back