Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

That's what I have :) i.e. the 12-40 and 40-150 + TC

How about Panny 100-400 ? £1100 from Panamoz... I think @Nawty has one ?

Last edited:
yeah i was planning on that but i was getting a different issue where i press the shutter and it would take 0, -1, -2 then stop. The if i pressed the shutter again it took 0, +1, +2, so i haven't i clue what is going on there. Maybe something to do with the drive mode?

So I have the 12-40 pro, the 40-150 pro + TC and the 100-400.

I also have pretty much all the primes and kit zooms (it would probably be easier to list the ones I haven't had/have).

In the context of the conversation as I can grasp it being jet lagged and drunk in Hong Kong, there is no substitute for the Oly f/2.8 zooms, they are outstanding.

There is also no substitute for having 800mm EFL (the PL 100-400) in a lenses not much bigger than the 40-150 pro. Yes it is f/6.3 at the long end and it doesn't resolve details in the same way as the Oly lenses do but it does make lovely images and it fits in a small back pack, you can take it anywhere and it is easy to shoot handheld - if you need length and ease of use then it can't be beat in any system.

In the context of the recent price hikes of electronics and cameras then I would get one whilst you can - all of a sudden it feels like a £2k lens easily..

I don't actually need 400mm. And the bulk and max aperture that goes with it. For my carry everywhere kit, a maximum of 200-250mm would be ideal. (9mm-250mm) Any more, and I'd need to carry a bag with me. I value the freedom of just having a small belt pack with 2 other lenses in.

With me in HK I have the 12-40 pro, 40-150 kit lens and PL25 (with EM5ii).

Lightweight and covers pretty much everything.

Ideally I would actually get the 14-150ii and combine that with the PL25 but I haven't got around to getting that lens yet and struggle, even to myself, to justify it.

Edit, I didn't bring the 9-18 as I don't really do UWA but that is a lovely little lens if that kind of thing floats your boat (12mm on the pro zoom is plenty with enough for me).

Last edited:
Not sure where Mk1 prices are these days but I'm sure I saw somebody post a deal the other day for a new mk2 with 14-42 pancake for less than £400. Seemed like a real bargain.

I briefly contemplated doing that before snapping up your X100!

@Mrbaker Just found what I was referring to. Jessops have the EM10 ii with 14-42 lens for £450. You get £75 cashback from Olympus. Total of £375. Total bargain.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...14-42mm Lens&gclid=CKn0lMbRwdACFUi6GwodQLsLRw

With me in HK I have the 12-40 pro, 40-150 kit lens and PL25 (with EM5ii).

Lightweight and covers pretty much everything.

Ideally I would actually get the 14-150ii and combine that with the PL25 but I haven't got around to getting that lens yet and struggle, even to myself, to justify it.

Edit, I didn't bring the 9-18 as I don't really do UWA but that is a lovely little lens if that kind of thing floats your boat (12mm on the pro zoom is plenty with enough for me).

How about the 12-100 f4 ?

Well - used my 12-40 in York today and after an hour it had misted up inside the lens.

Bought it used from MPB under 2 weeks ago - so it will be on its way back ASAP. Sent them an email as soon as I got home.

:(
That shouldn't happen, there weather sealed.

That shouldn't happen, there weather sealed.
I pointed that out in my email to them.

I have said it is not fit for purpose.

I will be pushing for either a like for like replacement of equal quality or refund. I am away for a long weekend in 2 weeks and the plan was to take my new little camera / lenses with me.

Hopefully it will all be resolved quickly

I have the 12-40mm f/2.8 it's been out in the cold but never been out in the rain, I know your wasn't in the rain but if it fogged up in the cold I wouldn't trust it in the rain.

Unless you came out of the warm the and the lens was also warm then hit near zero temp this could happen.

Only had that lens with me so it was on the camera all day. It was fine for the first 45 mins then I noticed that one of the images was a little hazy.

Looked at the end of the lens and it was misted up - gave it a wipe and realised it was on the inside.

Took these with my phone
20161126_121410 by Dave Semmens, on Flickr
20161126_121353 by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

shot taken with it when misted up
PB260124 by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Hmmm. I know my 9-18 did that when I took it from my bag into the elements, a quick warm up sorted it. But the 9-18 isn't weather sealed like the 12-40 is ( as said above ) so I'd expect it to be fine ESPECIALLY on the inside

Well - I have used Nikon lenses in all temperatures - some pro lenses and some cheaper (and much cheaper than the 12-40) I have also swapped lenses onto the camera multiple times while out and not had any issues.

This is the first time I have had this happen and the lens had been on the camera all day.

I can only hope this is not a sign of things to come or the Oly will have a short life with me

I don't expect the 9-18 to do it either. It is a £400+ lens.

Last edited:
Weather sealing can't really prevent this type of thing happening and isn't a fault of the lens per-se. Cold air contains a lot of water and you can't prevent air getting in a lens (especially an external zoom) and if the lens gets at all warm it is liable to fog (especially with an external zoom), even just popping inside to go to the loo can cause it to happen.

Mine wasn't misted whole lens like yours. Hopefully MPB will will do the right thing when they see the photos

Weather sealing can't really prevent this type of thing happening and isn't a fault of the lens per-se. Cold air contains a lot of water and you can't prevent air getting in a lens (especially an external zoom) and if the lens gets at all warm it is liable to fog (especially with an external zoom), even just popping inside to go to the loo can cause it to happen.

I can see that going into a warm environment could cause this - but I was outside all the time and the temperature was quite consistent.

I am aware of condensation from years of shooting air rifle competitions in the winter and coming home with my kit.

I always leave my camera and kit to acclimatise before taking out to clean etc.

Last edited:
I should say that I loved every minute of using the camera / lens up until the misty moment arrived :)

The image stabilisation meant that I never had to use the tripod I had with me, the articulating screen was superb and how configurable it is made it a joy to use.

Here is one of the photos from 20 minutes before misty struck.
A quiet moment (away from the Xmas shopping) by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

We escaped the shopping areas and looked for quieter places

Dave

PS - the mist in this shot is supposed to be there :)

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on the price drops of the E-M5ii + 12-40mm packages?

Currently only £975 at Park after you factor in the Oly cash back. Must say I'm very tempted.

Currently only £975 at Park after you factor in the Oly cash back. Must say I'm very tempted.

That's a great deal. Cheaper than importing. I guess the E-M5 is going to be next in line for an update but I'd be surprised if that happened in the next 12 months.

That's like they are giving away a FREE £800 lens! That's amazing.
Annoying though if you already have the terrific EM5ii.

Last edited:
It's my dream combo for a one camera one lens combo, but still an eye watering sum of money. Been hovering over the buy button all weekend.

In the interests of impartiality a few places have dropped to similar prices but Park are the cheapest.

Basically makes a UK model inline with pre-Brexit grey import prices.

Lovely combo to use.

Amazon has it for £1,062.49. Then take off the cash back.
You can't get it for that price on the continent. So I suspect it won't stay so cheap for very long.

Last edited:
I can see that going into a warm environment could cause this - but I was outside all the time and the temperature was quite consistent.

I am aware of condensation from years of shooting air rifle competitions in the winter and coming home with my kit.

I always leave my camera and kit to acclimatise before taking out to clean etc.

See what MPB say, I've used all kinds of kit across Nikon and Olympus and sometimes it just happens, sometimes with pro lenses, sometimes with not - doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.

Even my Oly 40-150 pro which has been by far the most resistant to it has done it on occasion - namely in Alaska going from a wet and cold boat deck to inside to grab a cup of chowder. And to be fair it lasted out much longer that my PL100-400 which fogged pretty early on. I just put them near a heater and they've been fine.

Well - used my 12-40 in York today and after an hour it had misted up inside the lens.

Bought it used from MPB under 2 weeks ago - so it will be on its way back ASAP. Sent them an email as soon as I got home.

:(
Good chance it is coming in from the body as it isn't environmentally sealed

Last edited:
That's back to front warm air holds more water. Cold air or surfaces causes the water in the warm air to condense out of the warm air.

See what MPB say, I've used all kinds of kit across Nikon and Olympus and sometimes it just happens, sometimes with pro lenses, sometimes with not - doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.

Even my Oly 40-150 pro which has been by far the most resistant to it has done it on occasion - namely in Alaska going from a wet and cold boat deck to inside to grab a cup of chowder. And to be fair it lasted out much longer that my PL100-400 which fogged pretty early on. I just put them near a heater and they've been fine.

Lol - I could happily live with it happening in extreme conditions, but I am not best pleased at it happening on a quiet stroll around York with the temperature at around 2 degrees.

I could also accept it if I had been in and out of a warmer environment.

But if I have a lens that can't handle a few hours walking around at temperatures above freezing then it isn't going to work for me as I can be out in those type of temperatures 6 months of the year. I was shooting in snow and black ice in late April this year.

Will see what MPB have to say tomorrow.

I know the Em1 is supposed to be weather proof, but don't know if all of the Zuiko lens are the same.

My instinct is not get the camera or lens wet, maybe a light shower but nothing more........

Lol - I could happily live with it happening in extreme conditions, but I am not best pleased at it happening on a quiet stroll around York with the temperature at around 2 degrees.

I could also accept it if I had been in and out of a warmer environment.

But if I have a lens that can't handle a few hours walking around at temperatures above freezing then it isn't going to work for me as I can be out in those type of temperatures 6 months of the year. I was shooting in snow and black ice in late April this year.

Will see what MPB have to say tomorrow.

A lens which 'trombones' like the 12-40 has to allow air in and out through a venting system in the camera body. If it didn’t moisture would enter much more easily through any sealing system in the lens itself.
It's likely that the air that condensed had entered the lens in this way. Then it’s down to the relative temperature of the lens components and the amount of moisture content (and temperature) of the atmosphere in the lens.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if this didn’t happen to any lens on the odd occasion depending on the factors mentioned above. Of course if a lens doesn’t employ good weather sealing, which Oly Pro glass does, then it’s a more likely occurrence.

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Last edited:
Back