Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

A lens which 'trombones' like the 12-40 has to allow air in and out through a venting system in the camera body. If it didn’t moisture would enter much more easily through any sealing system in the lens itself.
It's likely that the air that condensed had entered the lens in this way. Then it’s down to the relative temperature of the lens components and the amount of moisture content (and temperature) of the atmosphere in the lens.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if this didn’t happen to any lens on the odd occasion depending on the factors mentioned above. Of course if a lens doesn’t employ good weather sealing, which Oly Pro glass does, then it’s a more likely occurrence.

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.
I agree.

Robust construction
Even when subjected to heavy professional use in
harsh and testing conditions, the dust/splash/freezeproof construction
of the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12–40mm 1:2.8 PRO lens
makes sure you can rely on long-term operation
in every kind of terrain.

With a manufacturers claim as above, obviously Yorkshire weather wasn't considered

Robust construction
Even when subjected to heavy professional use in
harsh and testing conditions, the dust/splash/freezeproof construction
of the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12–40mm 1:2.8 PRO lens
makes sure you can rely on long-term operation
in every kind of terrain.

With a manufacturers claim as above, obviously Yorkshire weather wasn't considered

To be fair it was Mad Saturday and packed with Xmas shoppers - I saw a few grown men crying as they endured the experience.

So there may have been more moisture than usual in the air ;)

Question. If I were to buy the Olympus 12-100 F4 lens, and I wanted to use it with a longer lens, which longer one would be the next reasonable one up, so to speak?
The proposed new Pana Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4.0 would fit to the Oly 12-40 quite snugly!
Bildschirmfoto-2016-09-19-um-13.04.00.png

http://www.43rumors.com/the-three-n...-lenses-coming-in-2017-which-one-do-you-like/

My E-M1 and my E-M5ii have both been very wet and cold. My 12-40 has suffered condensation on the front element but not inside it.

This was at Niagra falls which is slightly wet I must say

Close-to-the-horseshoe by Alf Branch, on Flickr

By the esa

splash by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Great shot Dave, is that real mist or you 12-40mm inbuilt mist filter.

Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks Billy - it was real mist :)

The lens was absolutely fine for the first 45 mins then just misted up for no reason I can put my finger on.

That is why I could not keep the lens - I would always have been waiting for it to happen again as I did not know what caused it.

No doubt the next time it happened would have been at the exact same time that an amazing sunset appeared :(

For my micro four thirds bodies, I have the 3 main pro lenses (with others), they being the 12-40 Pro, 40-150 pro and 7-14 Pro.

Been looking at a filter system for the 7-14 and am a little undecided.

I currently have a Lee Seven5 system with soft and hard ND Grads, Little Stopper and Big stopper which are 85mm wide and work just fine on the 12-40 and 40-150 but not on the 7-14.

I also have (from my full frame days - now departed), a Lee 100mm system comprising Soft & Hard ND grads, big stopper and Landscape polariser. I notice that NISI now make quite a nice 7-14mm holder, based around their V3 and V5 holders (which are 100mm systems). If I purchased this and started using the 100mm filters (both the Lee and NISI ones), I was told for ND grads that the full size 100mm filters have graduations which are based around FF cameras and not the smaller M4/3, hence Lee developing the Seven5 system with tighter graduations, and so the graduated bands appear quite differently on the smaller sensor cameras ?

Has anyone used 100mm ND grads on M4/3 and can comment on their effectiveness please. I would have assumed that a 100mm hard grad would act like a soft grad on M4/3, with no real substitute for it's soft grad ?

For my micro four thirds bodies, I have the 3 main pro lenses (with others), they being the 12-40 Pro, 40-150 pro and 7-14 Pro.

I currently have a Lee Seven5 system with soft and hard ND Grads, Little Stopper and Big stopper which are 85mm wide and work just fine on the 12-40 and 40-150 but not on the 7-14.

I also have (from my full frame days - now departed), a Lee 100mm system comprising Soft & Hard ND grads, big stopper and Landscape polariser. I notice that NISI now make quite a nice 7-14mm holder, based around their V3 and V5 holders (which are 100mm systems). If I purchased this and started using the 100mm filters (both the Lee and NISI ones), I was told for ND grads that the full size 100mm filters have graduations which are based around FF cameras and not the smaller M4/3, hence Lee developing the Seven5 system with tighter graduations, and so the graduated bands appear quite differently on the smaller sensor cameras ?

Has anyone used 100mm ND grads on M4/3 and can comment on their effectiveness please. I would have assumed that a 100mm hard grad would act like a soft grad on M4/3, with no real substitute for it's soft grad ?

I wanted to know the same thing a few months ago as I have the 100mm system and didn't really want to splash out again on the Seven5 so whilst at Digital Splash I asked the question on the Olympus stand they said that the 100mm system should work the same as the Seven5 as the field of view on my 12-40mm would be exactly the same as my Nikon FF at 24mm, they told me that Steve Gosling was arriving in an hour and he would confirm it for me but sadly I had to leave before he came.

Anyway I use my 100mm system on my 12-40mm & 40-150mm with no issues (soft grads I've just purchased some hard grads but not used them yet)

Have you not compared the depth of graduation between the 100mm and Seven5 I've never used or seen a Seven5 to compare the 100 with.

Never thought to do that Billy. I'll give that a try tonight and post post back here as others might find it useful ?

Never thought to do that Billy. I'll give that a try tonight and post post back here as others might find it useful ?

I'll wait and see what you find

My main question to the Olympus team was same as yours would the hard work like a soft on the Olympus sensor.

Have a look at Phil Norton's website, he has a 3d printed option for the 7-14, I use it and find it works great with the 100mm system, if you want any further info let me know

Yes. Mostly to move one or more pictures to the phone for emails or the Internet. Occasionally to remote control the camera on the tripod from the phone, when I'm in the picture, or want to avoid camera shake. Its great for selfies!!

Last edited:
Anyone tried their E-m5 MK2 on wifi operation?
I've tried it and it all works as it should but I really don't think I'll ever use it apart from sending a picture to me phone whilst on holiday.

It has its uses if you have the camera on a tripod or supported on solid surface you can walk away and shoot and still change settings without returning to or touching the camera.
I often shoot with two camera's one on tripod and one handheld I have used it for that.

Anyone tried their E-m5 MK2 on wifi operation?

Just wondered if the camera should confirm focus with a bleep (when set in normal use) as I had a number of blurred shots.

From memory mine doesn't but that might be because I have beeps turned off as they are annoying as hell, not only to me but to everyone around too.

As above turning off the beep one of the first thing I do.
I'm at work now until 22:00 but I can check tomorrow morning if you want.

Yay......... Just sold off my Panasonic 14-140 MK I and the Olympus 70-300 (my Panasonic 14-140 MK II will be up for sale shortly), and my new Olympus 12-100 F4 Pro arrives Monday from Clifton Cameras. I wasn't on any sort of waiting list just browsing and saw they had 3 in stock and grabbed one. Now have the tracking number and a delivery date so really looking forward to it.

My thought process behind the acquisition is that I travel quite a bit (either personal or work), and was currently taking with me either the trio of : 7-14 F2.8 Pro,12-40 F2.8 Pro and the 40-150 F2.8 Pro, or (to travel lighter), the 9-18mm, 14-140 & 70-300.

I never used the 70-300 much (as I have also the Panny 10-400), so now it will be 2 lenses only being the 7-14 and the 12-100 and that will give me the perfect 14-200mm effective range. Can't really see me needing anything more expect maybe my 17mm F1.8 or 25mm F1.4.

let's hope it lives up to expectations.

The toss pots at olympus insist I go back to the dealer in order to update my camera, because they messed up. They haven't really understood the modern computer age. So it's hardly surprising that they got this update wrong.

Last edited:
The weatherman promised some sunshine, but all I saw was clouds followed by more clouds :(

Had a trip out to Bolton Abbey - got my hands on a 9-18 in the Black Friday sales and was looking forward to giving it a try.

Ended up doing a few long exposures and B&W as the light was quite poor.

Happy with the lens - will have to go back to the Abbey when the light improves :)

Bolton Abbey by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

The weatherman promised some sunshine, but all I saw was clouds followed by more clouds :(

Had a trip out to Bolton Abbey - got my hands on a 9-18 in the Black Friday sales and was looking forward to giving it a try.

Ended up doing a few long exposures and B&W as the light was quite poor.

Happy with the lens - will have to go back to the Abbey when the light improves :)

Bolton Abbey by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Lovely shot. Really like that

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I have been through the menu system on the em10 mkII and can't seem to find it in the settings. Anywhere.

When I am in shutter or aperture priority mode, I can see the changes in exposure in real time. Same with when I make adjustments with the exposure compensation dial.

However, when I put the camera in to manual mode. The evf shows the image, but there doesn't seem to be a preview of the exposure in real time when I make adjustments to the aperture and shutter?

Thanks in advance!

Well M4'3 rumors are now saying Olympus have touted a new delivery date for the EM1 II as 22nd December. Doubtful then if that's the case, that any cameras will turn up with owners before the new year (unless the shops are really efficient and get them out same day).

Well M4'3 rumors are now saying Olympus have touted a new delivery date for the EM1 II as 22nd December. Doubtful then if that's the case, that any cameras will turn up with owners before the new year (unless the shops are really efficient and get them out same day).

I spoke to the chap in LCE Salisbury and he reckoned it would be Feb before they got any they would actually be able to open to look at.

Back