Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Obviously sorted it now. I preordered from Amazon.

Seems we are in for big delays from what I read online, my amazon pre order states 1-3 months.

Having just acquired a GH2, last Saturday, I may have lost interest by that time, I've been blowing hot-and-cold as it is with my pre-order.

1. Pre-ordered a body.
2. Cancelled that in favour of a kit, body + 12-50.
3. Cancelled that in favour of a body only.
4. Cancellled it completely, too costly, just too much camera for my requirements, but it DOES look SOOOOOOOOO NIIIIIICE.

5. Ordered a body only, 2 days ago.

Fickle just aint in it, I tend to 'buy' on impulse and if I have to wait for it I go off the boil.

I WANT MY OMD, NOW.

Dave in Wales said:
Having just acquired a GH2, last Saturday, I may have lost interest by that time, I've been blowing hot-and-cold as it is with my pre-order.

1. Pre-ordered a body.
2. Cancelled that in favour of a kit, body + 12-50.
3. Cancelled that in favour of a body only.
4. Cancellled it completely, too costly, just too much camera for my requirements, but it DOES look SOOOOOOOOO NIIIIIICE.

5. Ordered a body only, 2 days ago.

Fickle just aint in it, I tend to 'buy' on impulse and if I have to wait for it I go off the boil.

I WANT MY OMD, NOW.

I was looking at a GH2, with the £50 rebate it's half the price of the OMD, I'm like you, given time to think is it really worth £1k a may even end up buying a 7D as 2nd canon body for £835, better value IMO

OM-D EM-5......£999

Nikon D7000 inc 18mm-105mm.....£995, after £80 cash back.

Are we :wacky:

Still having trouble getting my head around it. :thinking:

OM-D EM-5......£999

Nikon D7000 inc 18mm-105mm.....£995, after £80 cash back.

Are we :wacky:

Still having trouble getting my head around it. :thinking:

1149 with the 12-50 kit lens which has a similar range so the difference in price is less than 150 and that is while the D7k cashback offers is on.

In any case the D7k is 3 times the weight, no tilted screen, no IBIS, not as good video and you can find plenty of tiny primes for MFT while for Nikon you'd be lucky to get lenses that weigh about as much as the EM-5 alone :)

It is a matter of priorities of course but while the EM-5 comes with a high price tag I don't think it is unreasonably high for what it offers really.

Let alone that if you are throwing in cashbacks count the pre-order deal for the two piece grip which adds extra controls and battery something that will set you back another 100-150£ for the Nikon.

Dave in Wales said:
Just received my E-M5 glossy brochure....by request from....consumer@olympus.co.uk

Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool :love:

It looks beautiful, I think I'll be waiting after all.

NOT wishing to teach granny to suck eggs but one can register for the free grip on....https://www.olympusomd.sales-promotions.com/customer-apply-for-promotion/?country_promotion=2&lng=en

Picked up a glossy brochure for OM-D in park cameras today, lovely indeed.

I had a play with the E-P3 too, felt so solid and well made, really really liked it. Also had a play with NEX-7 too, that was also nice, but the availability and size of e-mount lenses really hamper the NEX range. But the E-P3, if I see a cheap one I may have to buy ;)

Have you registered for your free grip?

NO, well here's how.

I registered for my free grip here...........

https://www.olympusomd.sales-promotions.com/customer-apply-for-promotion/?country_promotion=2&lng=en

Yesterday I received an official email from olympus@sales-promotions.com thanking me for my application for a grip and issuing me with a customer name and password to access the 'Customer Online Tracking System'
and a phone number for any queries.

It looks all very official, I was most impressed.

When, when, I recieve the camera I have to send them electronically my receipt and serial number to the COTS.

No dates are mentioned on the email.

My suggestion is........get registering quick.

Thanks for that, Dave - my own OM-D on pre-order from Amazon.... the wait is torture! :D

Techradar review, not overly impressed, especially with the control and plastic buttons..............

The buttons themselves are one of the only disappointing features of the OM-D, feeling a little cheap for a camera of this price. We'd really like to see more solid, metal buttons being used on the body, with some of the smaller buttons feeling a little too delicate.

We also found that the buttons could sometimes be a little less than responsive, occasionally requiring a double press to get the desired result. Similarly, when using the scroll dials to make adjustments via the Quick Menu, these could be a little laggy.

All seems like 'ha'porth of tar' to me, I thought we were in for a real quality item, appears not.

IQ seems good though, but good enough for me to ditch my GH2 in favour of a EM5 :thinking:

I'm dreading the call that tells me my camera is in, it's then decision time.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca...ds/olympus-om-d-1075717/review#articleContent

It's a shame that they've cut corners with buttons, having had a play with the nex-7 in park cameras last week the quality and finish were top notch. Given they are around the same price I'd have expected the same level of quality.

Apart from that it still sounds really promising.

Seems a lot of money for another micro 4/3's camera.

I think your right, it is a lot of money. But look at any new camera release and there is a premium to pay. For example the Canon 5D3 is IMHO not worth £3k and twice that of the 5D2. I guess it's what people are willing to pay

Seems a lot of money for another micro 4/3's camera.

Maybe but it's pretty revolutionary compared to any other CSC, not just m4/3. I have a feeling it'll be well worth the money, if only I could aquire some to find out!

I dont think its going to be as revolutionary as people think.

The price will drop.
And a lot of Olympus owner,and other will love it :)

I dont think its going to be as revolutionary as people think.

The price will drop.
And a lot of Olympus owner,and other will love it :)

No not revolutionary but at least the price of the EP-3 has kept up quite well. Only just a couple weeks now it has dropped a bit. Olympus higher end stuff hold their value better than most...

Phew.......I've done it, spent the money I had for the EM5, I feel much happier now.

I've replaced the G3 that I should never had sold after buying the GH2.
The IQ from the G3 is IMVHO, superior (just) to that from the GH2 and equal to if not better than that from the EM5, again IMVHO.

Also I've added a Pany 25mm f1.4 Summilux to the stable and am now considering a Pany 100-300.

THe G3 cost me £369, 37% that of a EM5, and the 25mm cost me £440.

That works out to total 81% that of a EM5, and I have a terrific set-up.

There were a number of features that I could just never come to terms with on the EM5.
No flippy-out screen, which for me is essential.
Waterproofing, never ever needed it, grip never really wanted one.

And from experience IMVHO the G3 IQ is on a par with the EM5.

Ah, almost forgot, the over-inflated, hyped-up launch price of £999, for me it was just a no-brainer.

I got a G3 plus a terrific lens plus £190 to spend on :shrug: as I said for me it was just a no-brainer.

Phew.......I've done it, spent the money I had for the EM5, I feel much happier now.

I've replaced the G3 that I should never had sold after buying the GH2.
The IQ from the G3 is IMVHO, superior (just) to that from the GH2 and equal to if not better than that from the EM5, again IMVHO.

Also I've added a Pany 25mm f1.4 Summilux to the stable and am now considering a Pany 100-300.

THe G3 cost me £369, 37% that of a EM5, and the 25mm cost me £440.

That works out to total 81% that of a EM5, and I have a terrific set-up.

There were a number of features that I could just never come to terms with on the EM5.
No flippy-out screen, which for me is essential.
Waterproofing, never ever needed it, grip never really wanted one.

And from experience IMVHO the G3 IQ is on a par with the EM5.

Ah, almost forgot, the over-inflated, hyped-up launch price of £999, for me it was just a no-brainer.

I got a G3 plus a terrific lens plus £190 to spend on :shrug: as I said for me it was just a no-brainer.

If all that was really such a no brainer you would have not even considered it...

BTW the screen does flip out on the EM-5 and as for the grip+waterproofing is there for when you need them if you don't no harm done right? Let alone that if you really don't want the grips you can sell it and drop the price by a bit, same goes for the kit lens so the camera will end up costing you about 700-750.. which is rather reasonable for the kind of camera it is.

Also your 25mm is a sweeet lens but at 50mm I'd really like the stabilisation which the EM5 has in body.

I guess horses for courses and if you are happy with the G3 that's all that matters.

Personally I played with the EM-5 at SRS and it is a camera I would love to own. I love the photos, I love the feel, the IBIS the two thumb wheels. Between a EM-5 and kit or G3 and 25 1.4F I'd still go for the EM-5.

My problem is that my K-5 plus pancakes is brilliant and also not that much different in size so I will be almost duplicating my setup without any huge benefits. To justify it I'd have to get rid of my Pentax and that is not happening :D

If all that was really such a no brainer you would have not even considered it...

BTW the screen does flip out on the EM-5 and as for the grip+waterproofing is there for when you need them if you don't no harm done right? Let alone that if you really don't want the grips you can sell it and drop the price by a bit, same goes for the kit lens so the camera will end up costing you about 700-750.. which is rather reasonable for the kind of camera it is.

Also your 25mm is a sweeet lens but at 50mm I'd really like the stabilisation which the EM5 has in body.

I guess horses for courses and if you are happy with the G3 that's all that matters.

Personally I played with the EM-5 at SRS and it is a camera I would love to own. I love the photos, I love the feel, the IBIS the two thumb wheels. Between a EM-5 and kit or G3 and 25 1.4F I'd still go for the EM-5.

My problem is that my K-5 plus pancakes is brilliant and also not that much different in size so I will be almost duplicating my setup without any huge benefits. To justify it I'd have to get rid of my Pentax and that is not
happening :D

The EM5 screen is not fully articulating, it just slides up and down.

Park cameras have just started to get some in. The grip is a freebie from Olympus which the customer has to redeem and is only available free if you pre order the OM-D before the end of April. This is how I understand it after talking to the Olympus rep.

Oh and when you get your camera you have to sing 'Enola Gay' all day!!:LOL:

Has anyone tried one of these yet - I'm very interested but not sure whether it is worth changing my E-P3 for one.

I really love the images from the E-P3, especially with the excellent new Olympus primes, but the form of the OM-D and the built in EVF do appeal to me. Still have a nagging doubt though that 12mp seems optimum for MFT and maybe 16mp is pushing it

Has anyone tried one of these yet - I'm very interested but not sure whether it is worth changing my E-P3 for one.

I really love the images from the E-P3, especially with the excellent new Olympus primes, but the form of the OM-D and the built in EVF do appeal to me. Still have a nagging doubt though that 12mp seems optimum for MFT and maybe 16mp is pushing it

I had 5-10 minutes with it at SRS on an open day with a preproduction model. My brief impressions are near the top of the second page.

I am not so sure how it deals with dynamic range compared to the EP3 but if you are worried about noise don't, it is better than the GX1 which is already reportedly better than the EP3.

The EVF is very very good better than the one on the G3 though still not quite at the level of a mid range DSLR.

My main gripes had to do with the size / aperture width of the kit lens and a bit with ergonomics but the last one is something that people can get used to eventually.

I had 5-10 minutes with it at SRS on an open day with a preproduction model. My brief impressions are near the top of the second page.

I am not so sure how it deals with dynamic range compared to the EP3 but if you are worried about noise don't, it is better than the GX1 which is already reportedly better than the EP3.

The EVF is very very good better than the one on the G3 though still not quite at the level of a mid range DSLR.

My main gripes had to do with the size / aperture width of the kit lens and a bit with ergonomics but the last one is something that people can get used to eventually.

I phoned SRS yesterday but they have no stock and any coming in are all pre-sold.

I understand the EVF is the same spec as the VF2 I have on my EP3 which is very good. With regards to the pixel count noise is not too much of an issue as I primarily use the 12, 20, 25 and 45 primes which are have pretty fast apertures.

It is these lenses that has brought me back to MFT as I struggled with the image quality of any of the kit zooms.

I think I'll have to be patient and wait for some stock to come in so I can get some 'hands on' experience.

I've still got my preorder for E-M5 and I've just ordered a cheap clearance stock E-P3, I love everything about my G3 apart from the handling, it's just horrid, to small, just doesn't feel right to me (I love the feel of the old G1). When I picked up the E-P3 in park cameras for a play it felt fantastic.

The build quality of the E-P3 is stunning and I love the fact that it is relatively small but REALLY solid.

It's great to be able to carry my camera and all the lenses around in a light package and the EP3 certainly feels like it is made to last - just wish the OM-D didn't look so superb :)

Jessops told me today that they're expecting their first 40 to be delivered next week, but that theres quite a list of pre-orders to clear first!

just wish the OM-D didn't look so superb :)

The ad shots that are splashed all over the photo mags at the moment are just toooo good.... make it look irresistible - Olympus are normally pretty poor at the marketing side, but they've excelled themselves with this one.... I'm sure demand has caught them totally unprepared....:)

Jessops told me today that they're expecting their first 40 to be delivered next week, but that theres quite a list of pre-orders to clear first!

Amazon now quoting 2nd May..... :(

From another forum

I got this from Olympus today, I had contacted them about time running out to claim the free grip because of non-delivery:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Olympus,

This is to confirm that we are aware of this stocking delay and there should not be an issue with it at all. Please be advised that as long as you are registered for the promotion you can submit the serial number and invoice by the end of June 2012.

Should you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to contact our customer service team at: Olympus@sales-promotions.com or call us on 0207 659 1135

Best Wishes,
Maria Lukanova
Olympus

Back