Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I was out and about in Blackpool this morning with the OM-D E-M5 II and came across the following,

This was the result of the police trying to move on some homeless people in Blackpool town centre this morning.

On the long end there are 2 alternatives to improve optical performance: the obvious one is to get the Oly 45-150 f/2.8 but the other one is to get the Panasonic Lumix G 45-150mm f/4-5.6 OIS. I have both of these and the 45-200. For travel I would bring the Panasonic Lumix G 45-150mm f/4-5.6 OIS without a shadow of a doubt. You lose a bit of reach but it's even more compact and lighter than the 45-200 and optical performance is pretty impressive for a £100 lens (and better than the 45-200 in my experience). See also the following review: http://www.photozone.de/m43/845-panasonic45150f456.

In fact my travel setup looks a lot like the setup you have: E-M10II, GM5, Oly 9-18, Oly 12 f/2, Oly 17 f/1.8, Oly 45 f/1.8, Panasonic 45-150mm f/4-5.6 OIS, Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS. As far as optical performance is concerned, I think the primes in this lineup are excellent and the zooms are very good, especially if you factor in price paid.

Yea I've had my heart set on a 40-150 PRO w/ MC-14 for a long time. I could easily deal with the size/weight of it and everything I've seen says its great and it would cover everything I use from the 45-200. Never really thought to look at the 45-150 (non pro) lenses. Might have another look.

Yea the primes are excellent. I had the panny 14-42mm (was a kit with the G3), but sold it recently as I never used it as I found myself using the 9-18 and the 20mm most of the time. 45mm very occaisionly and the 45-200 when I needed the reach.

Was there a purpose to these police street photos?

Not gonna argue, but IMHO they are fairly tasteless. Unless of course they are photo journalism. In that case they should be in a paper or some appropriate publication.

But as said they don't do it for me. :(

@dclutter

I can sympathise with your dilemma.

I’ve run dual systems in an effort to decide on whether the grass is greener but each time I have sold up and gone back to (m)4/3rds exclusively. My last foray into other territory was a Sigma SD Quattro and Art glass, the output from this camera rivals medium format/top end of 35mm for resolution and it’s as bulky as some 35mm frame cameras too.

And for me that is the key driver - bulk verses output.

The SD output is stunning but it didn’t get enough use. More often than not I would end up taking my E-M1 or E-M5 MKII with primes instead of my other gear.
On the whole for my purposes m4/3rds delivers and is quite capable of prints with excellent quality @ 60cm x 80cm (I’m looking at one this size on my wall right now). So since the Sigma, Fuji and the Pentax excursions I have now decided to stick exclusively with m4/3rds, especially as my new E-M1 MkII arrived a couple of days ago. Oh and a single system makes more sense from the financial side of things too.

Of course YMMV.:)

I really like the look of the E-M1ii, but that price is scary. As I said it's not so much print size as much as higher ISO performance. Also the ability to crop a bit more would be nice (that said the E-M1ii would help slightly).

I think do need to try it out. Maybe see if I can borrow a FF off a friend (or rent one) for a weekend trip.

Without being too wordy about it, it just bemuses me why everyone wants to shoot in the dark these days, or think they do.....

I've done the whole FF and large APS-C with lenses bit, and it basically never went anywhere (meaning it stayed at home while I went out.)

Without being too wordy about it, it just bemuses me why everyone wants to shoot in the dark these days, or think they do.....

I've done the whole FF and large APS-C with lenses bit, and it basically never went anywhere (meaning it stayed at home while I went out.)
Everyone?

I think I am on the same wavelength as you - I want good light for landscapes and wildlife as well. I will take record shots in poor light but I know that is exactly what they are.

Not sure why lots of people seem eager to go out and shoot at ISO 6400 and beyond (or at least discount any camera not capable of it). I can accept that astro photography requires higher ISO, but day to day stuff never sees me going anywhere near it.

If the light is rubbish then I enjoy the walk then go home.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the sort of photography you do whether you require clean high ISO. I mainly do a bit of landscape or travel photography and M4/3 is fine for that. I would use a tripod for night shots. If you shoot indoor action where you can't use a flash or shoot fast action outdoors then M4/3 might not be the best tool. For anything well lit or static it is fine.

Well for example my recent trip to Chatsworth House I was up at 6400 and above, weddings I've been to to name another example. It's not unusual for me to need 6400 and higher.

Ooh! The upcoming Panasonic-Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4.0 looks quite compact, and useful range to compliment the Oly 12-40, without needing a 1.4x converter.
http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-8-18mm-...-planed-for-a-late-summerautumn-2017-release/
Leicalenses.jpg

Ooh! The upcoming Panasonic-Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4.0 looks quite compact, and useful range to compliment the Oly 12-40, without needing a 1.4x converter.
http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-8-18mm-...-planed-for-a-late-summerautumn-2017-release/
Leicalenses.jpg

Not sure what the prices will be like but almost enough to make one thinking of switching to a Pana body (to use sync IS), the G80 looks mighty tempting next to the EM1ii but you need Pana lenses to benefit from the depth through defocus CAF (and I have the 100-400).

Not sure what the prices will be like but almost enough to make one thinking of switching to a Pana body (to use sync IS), the G80 looks mighty tempting next to the EM1ii but you need Pana lenses to benefit from the depth through defocus CAF (and I have the 100-400).
Article says $1500 so would imagine £1500-1800 :eek:

I think a 50-200 will tug on the heartstrings of a lot of older users who have been slightly frustrated by the Pro40-150's range.
It is almost as if Panasonic (and it should have been Olympus) looked at what serious 4/3rds users actually loved and are trying to provide similar lenses in the new smaller, quicker style for m4/3rds.

Obviously I'm talking about two old lenses : the zuiko 4/3rds 12-60 and the 50-200 : very admirable lenses.

Article says $1500 so would imagine £1500-1800 :eek:

Hmm, might just keep my Pro lenses (&TC) then but the 50-200 does look a bit smaller with more range, nice.

how does the high res version compare to the low res we see here?

This is the best example I have of 'high' ISO, taken at 3200 and on Flickr you can view at 100%, I'm happy with the result but you do need to expose properly - any pushing exposure or cropping and you've had it. edit: looks like I might have overdone the blacks in processing

Alaska-5312866 by Ned Awty, on Flickr

Last edited:
Was there a purpose to these police street photos?

Not gonna argue, but IMHO they are fairly tasteless. Unless of course they are photo journalism. In that case they should be in a paper or some appropriate publication.

But as said they don't do it for me. :(

They are not something I would shoot but they are well shot and a social record

Hmm, might just keep my Pro lenses (&TC) then but the 50-200 does look a bit smaller with more range, nice.

This is the best example I have of 'high' ISO, taken at 3200 and on Flickr you can view at 100%, I'm happy with the result but you do need to expose properly - any pushing exposure or cropping and you've had it. edit: looks like I might have overdone the blacks in processing

Alaska-5312866 by Ned Awty, on Flickr
I can't view this on flickr as it's marked private. Lovely shot though, although I agree the blacks/contrast may be a touch overdone.

Olympus service might be able to fix it for about £120. I'd get in touch with them and get them to give you a quote. When fixed, the camera is still worth more than £200 I think. I dropped my E-M5 last year, broke the screen and had to pay for the repair. I was concerned about having to pay more for the repair than the value of the camera but it was in the region of £110-£120 to get it fixed.

Thank you Maarten. I'm an idiot! I had assumed the warranty was expired but I checked yesterday and it is in warranty until October 2017 - 2yrs plus the additional 6 months. I've found the warranty card so I can now send it off for repair. Thanks again

Back