Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I went out today and tried it, it does work the VF stays on 60 seconds -so the trick seems to be stab the shutter as you bring the camera up to your eye and immediately half press the shutter to make the camera focus ( its just a blur as the vf comes on ) then find the BIF and hopefully get on it ,I can see it will take a bit to get use too doing this but for me it will be worth it.

I did try the pro capture too I think this will be very handy at times but it is a little disorientating as the VF flickers as its taking shots even though its not so to speak, again I think one can get use to that .
Rob.

I'm pretty sure I found a way that kept the EVF on without having to press the shutter on my EM5-II (unless my memory's playing tricks on me) but haven't tried it on my EM1. I don't have the camera to hand at the mo, but if you turn off the eye sensor doesn't the EVF just remain on?

I'm pretty sure I found a way that kept the EVF on without having to press the shutter on my EM5-II (unless my memory's playing tricks on me) but haven't tried it on my EM1. I don't have the camera to hand at the mo, but if you turn off the eye sensor doesn't the EVF just remain on?
I am new to Olympus so don't know my way round it much but its just blacked out with eye sensor off ,I think this makes sense as the battery would drain if it was on all the time .
Rob.

I am new to Olympus so don't know my way round it much but its just blacked out with eye sensor off ,I think this makes sense as the battery would drain if it was on all the time .
Rob.
I've just tried my EM1 this morning and if I switch the eye sensor off the EVF remains on all the time, not sure if I have something else set in the menu so that it doesn't black out. I was sure it could be done, glad I'm not going mad. Not yet anyway :LOL: When I'm out on a walk I don't like turning my camera off to save battery as you might miss a shot waiting for the camera to turn on, and having it set to the EVF drains less battery than having the LCD on constantly.

Yeah, you can shut off the eye sensor, just press and hold the EVF button, that's how I have my EM1 and EM5ii set (with rear screen off or folded in).

However, on the EM1ii is quick enough that at the moment (still getting used to it) I have the rear screen folded in and the EVF sensor on.

I have just turned Sleep mode to OFF now its stays on ( I was set to 1min ) so will see how much the battery drains with the VF on .
thanks for the info .

Rob.
edit
mm it just used 7% of battery power in 15 min's .

Last edited:
I have just turned Sleep mode to OFF now its stays on ( I was set to 1min ) so will see how much the battery drains with the VF on .
thanks for the info .

Rob.
edit
That's a lot. I've never monitored battery life tbh, I just know it's poor and so carry a couple of spare EX-Pro batteries with me (y)

thanks for the info .

Rob.
edit

It's the same with any mirrorless camera, buy a few more batteries and get used to it...

Yep...I have 3 spare ex-pro batteries...

Yes a few more is on the cards and I think the 1.4tc would be handy to have.
Rob.

OMD MKII and 300f4 pro .
Rob.

Any BIF people got views on the OMD MKII tracking Lose or tight ? I'm thinking it may be best lose, as its so quick to focus slowing it down ( lose ) should stop it from grabbing the background

Rob.
a couple from today 300f4 pro 1/2000 f4 iso 400P4030160-small.jpg

P4030187-small.jpg

Any BIF people got views on the OMD MKII tracking Lose or tight ? I'm thinking it may be best lose, as its so quick to focus slowing it down ( lose ) should stop it from grabbing the background

Rob.

Must say I use tight rather than loose. But have not tried loose, so maybe give it a go and see what happens.

But am pleased with the "Tight" setting at the mo...........

Mj

Will have to play a bit, with Canon I slowed it down a bit then Pump the shutter button to refocus if necessary that said the shutter button on the Olympus does not give much feel it is very sensitive .
Rob.

Thought I would bore you all with another Moon shot from last night :)

Perfect conditions by Huw Prosser, on Flickr

This time with x1.4 and x2 (FD) converters stacked together with the Tokina 300 f/2.8 (FD), 840 mm focal length. E-M1 MkII.
30 stacked images merged in Registax.

Superb Huw. I really regret parting with my copy of that lens. Ffordes still have a couple, but I don't have the funds for them just now.

@Greytop , excellent sharp image.
How do you cope with the relative orbital movement when focus stacking. Is it too small to be of consequence/

Hi Laurence, it's not focus stacking and I carry it out in post rather than when taking the images.
Basically I shoot 30 exposures, crop and roughly align and post process to taste (nothing too heavy) in Capture One. I then export as a TIFF. Then I align and merge the 30 images in Registax 6, export as TIFF and final process again in Capture One.

Superb Huw. I really regret parting with my copy of that lens. Ffordes still have a couple, but I don't have the funds for them just now.
Thanks Simon.
....and I can sympathise, it is a great lens (for the money), I doubt whether I will part with mine even if I stump up the cash for a 300 f/4 (at some point).

Last edited:
I know it's probably been covered 100 times but it's a big thread to search through. What are the thoughts on oly 75-300mm v Panasonic 100-300mm? Looking for a longer lens fo occasional us so don't want to splash out too much. cheers

I know it's probably been covered 100 times but it's a big thread to search through. What are the thoughts on oly 75-300mm v Panasonic 100-300mm? Looking for a longer lens fo occasional us so don't want to splash out too much. cheers
With the copies I had the Panasonic was a bit sharper wide open but it's noticeably bigger and heavier. AF could be painfully slow on both at the long end, quite a bit of hunting at times. Final IQ was nice though.

I've previously had both lenses, in my experience (with the copies I had) there was no noticeable difference in IQ between the two. It has been reported that the 75-300 can be soft at the long end but mine (a MkII) was actually pretty good.
Comes down to size and speed in the end.
As you're an E-M1 user I would recommend a well looked after S/H 4/3rds f/2.8-3.5 50-200 (SWD or earlier version) and get yourself a MMF adapter (if you haven't already got one).
I've owned two copies and it's a big step up from either the 100-300 and 75-300. If you later add an EC-14 your lens becomes a 70-283 mm.

I've previously had both lenses, in my experience (with the copies I had) there was no noticeable difference in IQ between the two. It has been reported that the 75-300 can be soft at the long end but mine (a MkII) was actually pretty good.
Comes down to size and speed in the end.
As you're an E-M1 user I would recommend a well looked after S/H 4/3rds f/2.8-3.5 50-200 (SWD or earlier version) and get yourself a MMF adapter (if you haven't already got one).
I've owned two copies and it's a big step up from either the 100-300 and 75-300. If you later add an EC-14 your lens becomes a 70-283 mm.
That's interesting, so if I got a mmf adapter would all 4/3 lenses work on my em1 (auto focus etc)?...I also have 2 em10, what about those? Cheers

That's interesting, so if I got a mmf adapter would all 4/3 lenses work on my em1 (auto focus etc)?...I also have 2 em10, what about those? Cheers

Yes correct. Your E-M1 is capable of both phase detect and contrast detect autofocus. When using legacy 4/3rds glass it reverts to phase detect and works very well with native glass.
Your E-M10s use contrast base AF only, they will still work but a bit on the pedestrian side..... OK if you're not in any kind of hurry.

Just having a look around, have you had any experience with 3rd party adapters?

Sorry, I've not had any experience with third party adapters. When I used my 4/3rds glass with my old E-M5 I used an MMF-3.

Last edited:
Cool, will have a look around then. Might have a look into sigma 105mm macro then

Not easy to find Gary but worth it you will be using MF though or at least I do.
I can do you a deal on an E-X25 extension tube to go with it.

I have considered a Venus 60mm f2.8 a basic no connetion adapater is all that needed

Last edited:
Hello all.

I've just taken the plunge on a second hand but almost new OM-D 5MK2, partly inspired by this thread. I've only ever owner Canon and bought Canon lenses and the odd Sigma to go with it.

At this stage I have no lenses however, which I understand can be a hindrance in the image taking department.

I have gone for this system for the portability side mainly, though some of the features seem well in advance of my 40D. So lenses wise, is there is anything I should think about, I am little confused about what can fit....will any Micro 4/3rds lens fit? ....and Iwould also welcome any of your favourites lenses (irrespective of my requirements). I will mainly be using this for family trips out, the commute in and basically all the times I use my phone currently because I'm not taking my 40D out. The Panasonic 20mm and Olympus 45mm seem to be well regarded and relatively lightweight and would fit in my £500 budget for lenses. Before I take the plunge on those if you have any favourites please let me know.

I never thought these might be used for birds in flight, so am amazed by some of the shots above!

Thanks

Al

Al
The no lens approach will hinder things.
What are you aiming to shoot and how lightweight do you need to be. All M4/3 lenses will fit.
The 12-40 f2.8 pro is a great lens but it adds some bulk and weight and will eat that budget.
I am not a prime user myself.

Back