Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I I need to be on here for 60 days before I have access to the market forum so I cannot buy a new lens.
Its 30 days and 25 posts

If anyone is selling can you message me what you're selling so I can upgrade?
The rules are there for a reason, anyone trading outside the rules is in danger of losing access,

or not even making it to that forum, no matter how many posts they make ..

O.k apologies for that. New to photography and keen to get some better lenses.

Its 30 days and 25 posts

The rules are there for a reason, anyone trading outside the rules is in danger of losing access,

or not even making it to that forum, no matter how many posts they make ..

Hi Gary...LFC,

If you're wondering why you cannot see the classifieds forums here, it's because you don't have full access.
Full access is given when you have been a member for 60 days and made 25 non-spammy posts.

Access is then kept by contributing to the community by posting at least 50% of your contributions to discussions outside the classifieds. This change was introduced in August 2015 to encourage community growth and fair contribution for all.
Please see this thread for more information

Sorry it states here 60 days.

You're a member since yesterday and you are quibbling about 30 or 60 days? You really need to use the PM system if you want to clarify things rather than open forums or you'll be lucky to last another week mate.
not meant as a dig, but as a word of stern advice

Three seperate people have now slapped my wrists on an open forum instead of private messaging me. I know im new on here but just following previous protocol shown to me. I accept that I was wrong in my post but just showing what pops up when I go to look at the forum classifieds.

Three seperate people have now slapped my wrists on an open forum

well, take notice of the ones with green banners under their name, as we're the staff on here!

and, we're really, really not obliged to PM you about rule infractions. In fact you're lucky not to have been given worse than a slapped wrist.

I'll close with one more comment - a quick quote from the rules that you agreed to abide by when you signed up very recently (so they SHOULD be fresh in your memory)

Conduct and behaviour
  • If a moderator posts with an instruction, don't ignore it.

Everything duly noted. Back on topic, can I ask why does my 12-50 lens hunt for focus then decide its focused when its still blurry? I am hoping it's just a lens issue but some input from someone who knows more than me.
O!ympus omd e5 mk1 with the zuiko 12-50 i think came with it.

Everything duly noted. Back on topic, can I ask why does my 12-50 lens hunt for focus then decide its focused when its still blurry? I am hoping it's just a lens issue but some input from someone who knows more than me.
O!ympus omd e5 mk1 with the zuiko 12-50 i think came with it.

What are you trying to focus on and what are the lighting conditions?

And if you lot would mind not cluttering up our wonderful Oly OMD thread, those that use it would be grateful I'm sure [emoji14] :D
Yes, maybe it's the mix of Panasonic and Olympus users who are used to getting on well together here. So there is always harmony and cameradery on this thread. Which makes it an oasis thread when all around is strife and jerkdom.

Last edited:
It doesnt seem to be any particular thing from close up to horizon, and today was cloudy overcast. If i do an i.t special (off/on) it starts to work again.

Yes, maybe it's the mix of Panasonic and Olympus users who are used to getting on well together here. So there is always harmony and comeradery on this thread. Which makes it an oasis thread when all around is strife and jerkdom.

Those Canikon folk could learn a thing or two...

Ah, the power cycle routine...

What AF settings do you have it on?

From full auto to me being a complete newb messing with full manual. I dont think it's me as using full auto settings and then playing around roughly the same on manual.

From full auto to me being a complete newb messing with full manual. I dont think it's me as using full auto settings and then playing around roughly the same on manual.

The thing about most mirrorless cameras is that they use contrast detect AF and that requires focussing on a subject with some detail in it, blank walls or skys (for example) won't work.

Also, in poor light the AF can struggle a little too, as can any camera.

My daughter was using my old Fuji s6800 bridge camera and she was getting far better results of which she enjoyed rubbing it in and she's only 11:cautious:

Would any Olympus owners care to comment on my thread....I got it out of synch with this thread
It's the one with zero replies...

Cheers
Geof

If I put a strip of masking tape with olympus written on it over the Fμ√i sign does that make it ok?

I'm looking at doing mainly street/landscape photography and was hoping for some input as to what lens would be best. I wil be shopping at the lower end of the financial spectrum until I know I will keep at it.
Cheers Gary.

Spent a long weekend in London and just took the little Pen F as it was more a family holiday than a photography trip.

Used the image stabilisation to good effect on a few shots - this was the stand out one from the ones I took.

Old, New, Fast and Slow by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Hello mate that is an epic photo and something I am aiming to achieve with some practice. Can you tell me your set up details and settings? Or will you have to kill me after telling me;)

Hello mate that is an epic photo and something I am aiming to achieve with some practice. Can you tell me your set up details and settings? Or will you have to kill me after telling me;)

Thanks Gary - the hard part was getting the shutter speed slow enough - I used a 4 stop ND filter on the lens and pushed the aperture smaller than I would normally to F11. That gave me around 0.5 second shutter speed. You could push the aperture smaller and drop to low iso to get away without using the 4 stop ND, but I had it with me and so avoided a tiny aperture :)

There are buses going past St Pauls all the time - so I just took around 30 shots until I had a couple that looked good. Getting the people in front of the bus with hardly any movement was a bonus - I would have liked someone else moving between me and them to give more layers to the shot, but we can't always get what we want ;)

Lens was the 12-40, but anything wide would have worked.

Dave.

Having borrowed both the OM-D EM1 markii and the EM5 markii I was very impressed with both cameras but realistically I can't really afford the EM1 markii!
So I've been looking at the EM1 and wondered if anyone has has/had this and also the EM5 markii and which one do you prefer and why?
I still have a Nikon camera so really want this for travel, walking, nature and also taking photos of my youngest. thank you.

Having borrowed both the OM-D EM1 markii and the EM5 markii I was very impressed with both cameras but realistically I can't really afford the EM1 markii!
So I've been looking at the EM1 and wondered if anyone has has/had this and also the EM5 markii and which one do you prefer and why?
I still have a Nikon camera so really want this for travel, walking, nature and also taking photos of my youngest. thank you.
I have both the E-M1 with grip and E-M5ii without grip

I use the 5 for landscape especially with 9-18mm it is fine with the 14-42ez or 12-50 or75-300. It's fine with the 12-40.
I prefer this when size matters.

The 1 works well with the lenses but I mainly use it with my sigma 105 now and nissin flash together
This is what I use when grip and handling matter more.

I own both, and an EM1ii.

Since the EM1ii I use the EM5ii travel and as a 'bag camera' and the EM1 doesn't get used which is a shame as it is a nice camera. In fact, when I had the EM1 and EM5ii I almost exclusively used the EM1 as it wasn't actually much bigger than the EM5ii and was just more of a tool, but given you have a DSLR I would suggest the EM5ii to you (or even the EM10ii if you don't need weather sealing).

I got into m43 by buying an EM10 as a travel camera and a year later I sold all my Nikon FF kit as it hadn't been used at all. It can be a slippery slope :D

I own both, and an EM1ii.

I got into m43 by buying an EM10 as a travel camera and a year later I sold all my Nikon FF kit as it hadn't been used at all. It can be a slippery slope :D

That happened to me. Bought an EM10ii as a travel camera in May 2016 and then I sold my D750 and a bag full of lenses about a month ago and bought an EM1ii. So far I've not regretted it.

Coming from an OM2 and OM4, those huge bulky DSLRs were out of the question. It was only when the OM2 sized EM5 came out, that I was back in the game.

Last edited:
I have just come over from Canon and took the E-M1i with the one lens I had (40-150 f/2.8) to the World Athletics to see how it performs from the 45th row. My plan is to replace my Canon gear with the E-M1 for doing rugby and sports this coming season.
I was pleasantly surprised with the photos I got based on never having used the camera. I probably need to tweak the settings a bit to increase the keeper rate and I had 3-4 sequences where focus was never achieved, but a good start.

_8060290.jpg by Justyn Crane, on Flickr
_8060186.jpg by Justyn Crane, on Flickr
_8060602.jpg by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

Back