Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

When the upgrades used to reset all the settings, I'd made a list of all the things I need to set up. If you need it once a year, you are sure to forget some or most things. This I keep in my notes, that sync on to my phone. So when recently, when I was out, I noticed that all the settings were all gone, I'm not sure why, it was just a matter of going through the list on my phone one by one, in order, cog A then cog B etc.
It saved me much hassle. But I needed to edit the order of the list to put the Mysets last. So they capture all the settings.

everyone was expecting 20MP weren't they ?

One from yesterday very few birds flying but this one gave me a chance
OMD MKII 300F4Pro 1/2500 f4 iso 500.
Rob.

View attachment 109214
I have a Mk2 but not this lens as it felt a tad heavy on my shoulder (injured and likely to be v slow to recover) and I was wondering if birds in flight were possible. Would you mind telling me what settings you had for this as I might do the OLY Wow thing for this lens? I am still getting used to the menus and very different layout of the camera. Any help would be much appreciated. I can see the speed etc but I was thinking of the many other options available.

Olympus do know how to make extremely nice looking cameras, and I have to say the dials are a huge improvement over the MkII. Not sure what the real world gains are for the MkIII though, especially if you don't shoot video?

Olympus do know how to make extremely nice looking cameras, and I have to say the dials are a huge improvement over the MkII. Not sure what the real world gains are for the MkIII though, especially if you don't shoot video?
More Art filters! No more having to be creative. It does all the creativity for you.

Last edited:
I have a Mk2 but not this lens as it felt a tad heavy on my shoulder (injured and likely to be v slow to recover) and I was wondering if birds in flight were possible. Would you mind telling me what settings you had for this as I might do the OLY Wow thing for this lens? I am still getting used to the menus and very different layout of the camera. Any help would be much appreciated. I can see the speed etc but I was thinking of the many other options available.

I used the electronic shutter at about 10fps 5 focus points C AF and tracking was + 1 but I'm still playing with this setting -SHUTTER -ISO APETURE all set manual .
Rob.

What is AP mode on the EM10 mk3? Amateur Photographer magazine?
Olympus_OM-D_E-M5_Mark_III-11-920x614.jpg

"Perhaps the E-M10 III’s best new idea is the AP (Advanced Photography) mode on the top-plate dial. This takes a whole bunch of existing features that Olympus had previously hidden away in its labyrinthine menu system, and groups them onto a dedicated position on the mode dial; the features are selected by a touch menu that includes a brief description of each.
Here you’ll find some fairly common options such as double-exposure, HDR shooting, silent mode, and autoexposure bracketing. But several more are unique to Olympus, including Keystone Correction for fixing converging verticals, and Live Time and Live Composite modes for getting perfect long-exposure shots at night."

from http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-iii#AkuK1SEOLj6RIsmB.99

Last edited:
Due to the ever increasing weight of my camera bag, I'm giving some thought to a 4/3s system. A big drawback is obviously the cost of changing systems and all the kit involved. Part of my kit includes a large holder pretty full of Lee filters, holders, lens hoods and add ons, all 100mm. Whenever I've seen the Olympus EM1 on YouTube the camera always seems to have the Lee 7x5 filter system fitted. Can anyone please advise if the Lee 100mm system will fit an EM1?

ND Filters might be OK although a 100mm filter might look a bit daft on a small camera but I think you would need to consider the size of the transition zone on grads

Due to the ever increasing weight of my camera bag, I'm giving some thought to a 4/3s system. A big drawback is obviously the cost of changing systems and all the kit involved. Part of my kit includes a large holder pretty full of Lee filters, holders, lens hoods and add ons, all 100mm. Whenever I've seen the Olympus EM1 on YouTube the camera always seems to have the Lee 7x5 filter system fitted. Can anyone please advise if the Lee 100mm system will fit an EM1?

You will be able to get the 100mm to fit most lenses but not things like the 14-42 with its 37mm flter thread I do not use lee filters myself
I use Hitech 85mm filters

Look here
http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-match

The lenses I was looking at was the 12-40 and the 40-150 both 2.8. The chart Alf linked to has helped with the compatibility issues.

Thanks for the help, really appreciated.

I use the 100mm Lee filters on my Em5ii so I'm pretty sure they'd be fine on the em1ii. I use them on the 12-40 Pro
@sirch may have a valid point, as I haven't tried it with grads.

Last edited:
I use the Hitech 85mm on my 12-40mm and EM-5 mark 2. Soft grads work ok with that lens. Not tried it with my 17mm prime but I can see that you might want to go for a harder grad transition with a smaller diameter lens.

Ian

I use the 100mm Lee filters on my Em5ii so I'm pretty sure they'd be fine on the em1ii. I use them on the 12-40 Pro
@sirch may have a valid point, as I haven't tried it with grads.

Have used hard grads on the 12-40. Transition zone behaves more like a soft/medium grad but always seemed okay to me.

The waterfall is lovely, not normally a fan of long exposure but the composition and execution are excellent :)

Was it handheld?

Thanks Ned, no not handheld, from memory it was an 8 second exposure.
I think I've managed some 2 second exposures with the MkII at short to medium focal lengths, not really trying.
This shot was 'travel' tripod mounted (Sirui T-005X).

Last edited:
went drag racing with my kids at the weekend and for the first time in nearly 30 years, i decided to camp. Was using the e-m1 + 9-18, e-m1 mk2 + 40-150

got up early due to the "whomp whomp" of the turbines

dawn at santa pod
by damianmkv, on Flickr

then the mist started to roll in

shrouded
by damianmkv, on Flickr

burn
by damianmkv, on Flickr

got a little action before it rained..then stopped..then rained...then stopped..

marck harteveld
by damianmkv, on Flickr

TFB 4
by damianmkv, on Flickr

pscycle workz
by damianmkv, on Flickr

steve ashdown
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Last edited:
went drag racing with my kids and the weekend and for the first time in nearly 30 years, i decided to camp. Was using the e-m1 + 9-18, e-m1 mk2 + 40-150

got up early due to the "whomp whomp" of the turbines

dawn at santa pod
by damianmkv, on Flickr

then the mist started to roll in

shrouded
by damianmkv, on Flickr

burn
by damianmkv, on Flickr

got a little action before it rained..then stopped..then rained...the stopped..

marck harteveld
by damianmkv, on Flickr

TFB 4
by damianmkv, on Flickr

pscycle workz
by damianmkv, on Flickr

steve ashdown
by damianmkv, on Flickr
Love the first bike shot, really pops, great light.

How do you find the Mk2 over the Mk1 in terms of AF acquisition and overall performance?

i shot in C-AF ( for the mk1 i always used S-AF ) and on the whole, the AF acquisition is much improved. That said, images that appear in focus on the LCD sometimes aren't on the PC. Tracking is still hit and miss - i took a sequence of 10 shots, 8 were on the car, 1 on the wall behind the car and 1 on the fence - very odd. Not something i'd use again

In terms of IQ, there is little difference between the mk1 and the mk2 - unless we talk about high ISO ( sorry they're not the same crop but you get the idea ) - these a SOOC jpgs as i haven't updated ACR in Lightroom so could not process the RAWs

e-m1 mk2 ISO 10000
by damianmkv, on Flickr

e-m1 mk1 ISO 10000
by damianmkv, on Flickr

The EVF blackout is reduced to a very acceptable level BUT it still lags - not good for panning.

Overall ? An improvement but not one that I'd spend £1500 on as an upgrade

i shot in C-AF ( for the mk1 i always used S-AF ) and on the whole, the AF acquisition is much improved. That said, images that appear in focus on the LCD sometimes aren't on the PC. Tracking is still hit and miss - i took a sequence of 10 shots, 8 were on the car, 1 on the wall behind the car and 1 on the fence - very odd. Not something i'd use again

In terms of IQ, there is little difference between the mk1 and the mk2 - unless we talk about high ISO ( sorry they're not the same crop but you get the idea ) - these a SOOC jpgs as i haven't updated ACR in Lightroom so could not process the RAWs

e-m1 mk2 ISO 10000
by damianmkv, on Flickr

e-m1 mk1 ISO 10000
by damianmkv, on Flickr

The EVF blackout is reduced to a very acceptable level BUT it still lags - not good for panning.

Overall ? An improvement but not one that I'd spend £1500 on as an upgrade
Interesting review, thanks most informative. I'm guessing a far cry from the D500 then?

actually, not so much - i don't know what i did wrong / didn't get with the d500 but i didn't have as many keepers as i'd hoped. I didn't fine tune the lens as i assumed it wasn't required and nor did i have time to really learn what settings were best for me. My son preferred the Nikon and my wife thinks the Nikon images have more "quality"

actually, not so much - i don't know what i did wrong / didn't get with the d500 but i didn't have as many keepers as i'd hoped. I didn't fine tune the lens as i assumed it wasn't required and nor did i have time to really learn what settings were best for me. My son preferred the Nikon and my wife thinks the Nikon images have more "quality"
Maybe technique if you were finding it nose heavy, could've really 'put you off' when panning? I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try the mk2 on Olympus try before you buy scheme ;)

One of the things about the EM1ii CAF is that the settings can have quite a difference on performance; from memory shooting this kind of thing you would probably want it on 'loose -2'.

Still, fab photos :)

@snerkler thats what I was thinking...in drag racing, unless you're doing night racing, there is no need for f2.8 unless you want to freeze motion which I don't. The test and wow is really worth it - I picked it up at 10 on Friday and dropped it back at midday today. All for zero pennies..

@Nawty thanks Ned. I probably gave myself an impossible task - 2 new cameras to learn about in about 3 or 4 hours and then a weekend of shooting. Maybe that's why I didn't come away with a clear "winner" in my head

Well on the day I ordered the d500 + 16-80 + 35 f1.8, the buyer for my 12-40 has pulled out. Not the end of the world as it means the new set up has cost me £100...it's just delayed the purchase of a zoom. Lesson no1 -wait til everyone pays before ordering

On the upside, I still have a toe in with m43

Well on the day I ordered the d500 + 16-80 + 35 f1.8, the buyer for my 12-40 has pulled out. Not the end of the world as it means the new set up has cost me £100...it's just delayed the purchase of a zoom. Lesson no1 -wait til everyone pays before ordering

On the upside, I still have a toe in with m43

Just out of interest where did you source the D500 and 16-80?
And are you hanging on to the E-M1?

Panamoz, Huw. £1730 compared with £2480 here and you get a 3 year local warranty

Back