Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Anyone bought this? Linky (BTW, it's an Amazon link to The Olympus E-M1 MkII Menu System Simplified Paperback – 5 Apr 2017)

Recommended??

Cheers.

Yes I bought it a while back. Worth the money, it explains reasonably well the menu functions and gives an opinion about their uses and settings.

I do even now refer to it to find out how a function works and its advantages etc.

Recommended...

Bought a panny 12-32 to chuck on the e-m1 for travel. It's not the quickest lens in the world but it doesn't really need to be as I just wanted something small and light. Loads of edge distortion at 12mm but it can be fixed

hollow
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bought a panny 12-32 to chuck on the e-m1 for travel. It's not the quickest lens in the world but it doesn't really need to be as I just wanted something small and light. Loads of edge distortion at 12mm but it can be fixed

hollow
by damianmkv, on Flickr
Interesting. I started to look at this or the Oly 14-42EZ. I have the 12-40 Pro which I love, but it is a bit heavy and bulky at times. So far I've got by with the 17mm instead and carried the 45mm with me. I'm resisting the GAS :D

I was looking at the 14-42ez but reports said that it wasn't very sharp and the 12-32 is better. To me it looks pretty good and my only m43 lens now.

I had thought about the p20 ( again ) but then I thought I'd end up with the o45 soon after and then something else...slippery slope

I do like this one but I know next to nothing about photography and all three taken with the cheap Panasonic 25mm lens and my used OMD EM5 mk1
PA150703 by Gary Cann, on Flickr

Last edited:
I know this is probably the wrong section but is there anything wrong with these photos? I ask as they are just jpegs straight out the camera. I see everyone uses raw files but I don't or probably never use Photoshop etc as just don't have the time or inclination.

As you say they are jpeg straight out of camera the only one that i can see may influence you is the second one of the sea and sky, when looking at the big version on flickr there is some grain evident, however it could be that you've stopped down to f10 on that one, the others dont have any grain issues at all.

As you say they are jpeg straight out of camera the only one that i can see may influence you is the second one of the sea and sky, when looking at the big version on flickr there is some grain evident, however it could be that you've stopped down to f10 on that one, the others dont have any grain issues at all.
Thanks, to be honest I kind of know what the dials do but I still end up just twiddling until I like what I see through the viewfinder.
No2 I took in colour first and was so boring I was going to delete straight away but set it to monochrome and played with it until what you see. Liked the rays lighting up the water which I could see with my eyes but the camera struggled.

I know this is probably the wrong section but is there anything wrong with these photos? I ask as they are just jpegs straight out the camera. I see everyone uses raw files but I don't or probably never use Photoshop etc as just don't have the time or inclination.

They're absolutely fine, assuming they represent your artistic intent :)

Only thing I would comment on is that the sea in 2 is very dark and I might have lightened it a touch, this is still possible with jpg but you get better results with raw.

You can push RAW files more in processing, the file holds a lot more information, that's pretty much how I think of it. If you always take your images to lightroom or other processing software, then there is no reason not to shoot RAW. I love the sea shot, but as Nawty suggests, I would have given the sea a slight exposure lift. It still works as is, love the minimalism, no clutter and still very moody. Also as other point out, the horizon could do with a little straighten

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with jpegs, Gary. 1st is great, 2nd has a sloping horizon and probably most will say that putting the horizon fairly central is a no-no, the 3rd is a bit tight on the foreground

I should jpeg + raw but I don't always use the raw file. If you shoot raw, you'll see the image is bigger so gives you extra room for manoeuvreability. I edit 99% of my shots, my 14 year old doesn't but he is beginning to see the merits

They're absolutely fine, assuming they represent your artistic intent :)

Only thing I would comment on is that the sea in 2 is very dark and I might have lightened it a touch, this is still possible with jpg but you get better results with raw.

Artistic intent I don't have a clue yet as just starting out but I have changed how I view the world. I now look at everything in 4x3 box looking for that frame to photo.

The good thing is that photography changes things for you - you no longer just look, you see. And that's where it starts - most importantly, enjoy what you do, take photos that will create memories for you.

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated. The third one is tight as rope was attached to a massive blue plastic barrel that wasn't very photogenic.

As I said I have just started out and my camera came with the 12-50 olympus which I don't get on with for some reason. In a month I have purchased the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 and the Panasonic 35-100 f4.0. I am looking to get the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and hopefully that should be it. Are these lenses a good start or is there something else I should be looking at? My main aims are landscape,street and some family portrait shots.

That's a cracking selection of lenses already. I would try and get to know what you have already before you splash any more cash.
The oly 45 is a lovely lens but it seldom comes out of my bag. It's a very long focal length for everything but deliberate head and shoulders portraits.
Not sure what your issue is with the 12-50?
I have both 14-42 kit lenses and while I like the ez pancake for size I prefer the folding RII lens to actually use. I've not been tempted by the 12-50 as it's bigger but the macro mode might be handy.
One tip I would give is, you think you won't try post processing now I wouldn't be surprised if the bug bites at some point. I used to shoot jpg. Now
I shoot JPG+RAW and wish I had done from the start as there are shots I could improve now I know more about the techniques. Disk and card space are cheap. You can always use the jpg and delete the raw later but you can't recreate the raw.

I got the 12-50 as a kit lens. Cons: it's not small.
Pros: it's my only showerproof lens. So wet days it's useful.
It's also good for macro focus bracketing. All my other macro gear is manual focus.
Finally, electric zoom for video.

It's still my least used lens. But handy as an all rounder on a spare body.

Last edited:
I might have shot from a lower angle and even tighter but with a letterbox crop.

Have a read of this, some of the better compositional advice on t'web IMHO and pertinent to someone with a 4x3 aspect ratio camera: https://blog.mingthein.com/2012/07/31/aspect-ratios-and-compositional-theory/
I did go down lower but I liked it where I took it from as made me think of Jaws with the open bit of the water before the breakwater. I was with the wife,kids and the dog so didn't have much time before the moaning starts.

My problem with the 12-50 isn't performance more settling on a frame size as keep fiddling then missing shots. It's also a bit long and I like the 14 and 25 primes.

I got the 12-50 as a kit lens. Cons: it's not small.
Pros: it's my only showerproof lens. So wet days it's useful.
It's also good for macro focus bracketing. All my other macro gear is manual focus.
Finally, electric zoom for video.

It's still my least used lens. But handy as an all rounder on a spare body.
It's in my bag as it doesn't weigh much and for the macro function. It came with a Hoya skylighter filter which I'm assuming is just a uv filter?

That's a cracking selection of lenses already. I would try and get to know what you have already before you splash any more cash.
The oly 45 is a lovely lens but it seldom comes out of my bag. It's a very long focal length for everything but deliberate head and shoulders portraits.
Not sure what your issue is with the 12-50?
I have both 14-42 kit lenses and while I like the ez pancake for size I prefer the folding RII lens to actually use. I've not been tempted by the 12-50 as it's bigger but the macro mode might be handy.
One tip I would give is, you think you won't try post processing now I wouldn't be surprised if the bug bites at some point. I used to shoot jpg. Now
I shoot JPG+RAW and wish I had done from the start as there are shots I could improve now I know more about the techniques. Disk and card space are cheap. You can always use the jpg and delete the raw later but you can't recreate the raw.
I like the lens selection I have cheap but very good so far. Processing will be a problem for me as suffer from OCD so will end up tinkering for hours and just ruining the shot. I will hopefully rely on talent (luck) and abuse of memory card size to take 100 photos of one scene.

It's in my bag as it doesn't weigh much and for the macro function. It came with a Hoya skylighter filter which I'm assuming is just a uv filter?
I don't want to carry a bag, to have maximum mobility when out shooting. A small belt pouch is ok if I'm not wearing a jacket with pockets. The less restrictions you have, the fewer excuses.

Last edited:
True, which is why people love the x100 series.

I loved the o45, it’s cheap and fantastic but it’s pretty long at 90mm equivalent so may be a bit niche

I like the lens selection I have cheap but very good so far. Processing will be a problem for me as suffer from OCD so will end up tinkering for hours and just ruining the shot. I will hopefully rely on talent (luck) and abuse of memory card size to take 100 photos of one scene.

I wouldn't worry, RAW processing is non destructive ;)

Last edited:
My problem with the 12-50 isn't performance more settling on a frame size as keep fiddling then missing shots. It's also a bit long and I like the 14 and 25 primes.

The 12-50 is a nice range of FL and quite light not as small as the 14-42 ez

Standard zooms by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Not sure what an Xpro is worth but it seems reasonable to me, the EM10ii is a cracking camera.

Not a lot it seems, I've had it in classified ages now :ROFLMAO: my main camera is the X-T1 atm, the xpro1 isn't getting used much and I fancy dipping my toes into the M43 world to give it a try. The em10 mkII seems a nice little all rounder to start

Trading in my Xpro1 I can get an OMD em10 mkII for £140 with MBP, is this a decent deal?
MPB are selling an "excellent" Xpro1 for £299 and an "excellent" EM10-II for £334, so £35 difference meaning that they're offering you £105 less for your Xpro1 than they'd sell it at (assuming excellent condition). Only you can decide it that's a decent deal for you (y)

MPB are selling an "excellent" Xpro1 for £299 and an "excellent" EM10-II for £334, so £35 difference meaning that they're offering you £105 less for your Xpro1 than they'd sell it at (assuming excellent condition). Only you can decide it that's a decent deal for you (y)

I put mine down as "good" - it's definitely not excellent unfortunately, rather perfect working order but has clear signs of paint wear and a couple marks on the lcd. I'm assuming they'd expect excellent to be mint? They will obviously want to make a little profit on top.

I put mine down as "good" - it's definitely not excellent unfortunately, rather perfect working order but has clear signs of paint wear and a couple marks on the lcd. I'm assuming they'd expect excellent to be mint? They will obviously want to make a little profit on top.
Like new woukd be mint,excellent less so ,then good and then well used

Back