Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Sold my mint one to MPB last week :(

Not really - I bought a P12-32 for travel ( I’ve just landed 10 minutes ago from Sofia ) and so that fits in my jacket pocket quite nicely.

There are times when I wonder if I did the right thing selling up but you only live once..

Not really - I bought a P12-32 for travel ( I’ve just landed 10 minutes ago from Sofia ) and so that fits in my jacket pocket quite nicely.

There are times when I wonder if I did the right thing selling up but you only live once..
James Bond doesn't

Great images. Just wondering; on the first, at ISO 800, was there much of a clean up? The way some talk about M43 ISO handling I thought even 800 would be noisey, but that looks clean to me.

It was fine - transferred direct to my phone via the Olympus app, a bit of correction in snapseed for the verticals and uploaded to Flickr. There's not been any NR applied. That said, I do find that if the quality of the light is poor, even iso800 can show noise and you might notice it more coming from a larger sensor.

@Greytop its all I need really, Huw. Ok, it's not the quickest but it's handy to have a tiny lens that goes wide and fits in a jacket pocket, even on the e-m1 which isn't the smallest body. I've found it to be sharp enough for me, especially for a pretty low price.

Last edited:
What are peoples thoughts on the Oly 12-40 2.8 or the Panny 12-35 2.8. It seems the Panasonic is smaller and lighter, I was just wondering by how much?
I've had both and sold both. If I were buying one again it would depend on the camera it was going on. I found the Oly was an ideal match to the E-M1 but felt too big and unbalanced on the E-M5ii. The Panasonic felt significantly lighter and smaller to me and was optically just as good, although obviously it doesn't go as long at the tele end, and doesn't have as good close focus as the Oly lens.

I've had both too and retained the 12-40 which replaced my 12-35. The 12-40 does add some bulk but I didn't see it as anything major.
Optically my examples were very close in quality with the 12-40 edging it in terms of consistent sharpness throughout the frame. My 12-35 was ever so slightly soft in the corners at the wide end.
I found the the 12-40 balances well on the E-M1 MkI/II and E-M5 MkI/II. With the E-M5 MkII I had the excellent ECG-2 Grip fitted which is much better than the more common grip option IMHO.
Bottom line both great lenses but the 12-40 shades it for optical quality and 5 mm FL at the long end.

If you're willing to consider grey from a bricks and mortar UK based seller, HDEW have the E-M5 MkII & 12-40 kit for £1019 and they offer three year warranty on the camera body.
I've no connection with them other than having purchased from them in the past.

Thanks for the heads up @Greytop

At that price I'd be stupid not to so just this minute ordered it.

They are also doing the 40-150 f2.8 pro for £769 or with the 2x extender for £955

Roll on payday!

Thanks for the heads up @Greytop

At that price I'd be stupid not to so just this minute ordered it.

They are also doing the 40-150 f2.8 pro for £769 or with the 2x extender for £955

Roll on payday!

No problem :)
Funnily enough I've just made a rather costly investment with HDEW myself, which again was hard to resist (300 f/4).

Sell for as in buy ? £350-£400 I guess. With regards to glass, there's not a lot of difference between Oly and Panny - some will say that Pannys render nicer but lots can be fudged in PP. not used the Voights to be able to pass comment, sorry

I sold all my m4/3 gear and got a D500 and Sigma 100-400 for my birding but only have the one lens,i was looking to buy a couple of lenses but i miss my EM10MK11 so thinking of buying this kit instead while they are still available.

http://www.wexphotovideo.com/olympu...14-42mm-lens-and-40-150mm-lens-black-1579588/

Now its my understanding Olympus dont supply lens hoods and the ones they sell are expensive, does any one have any links to ebay units that are good quality for these lenses,Amazon links are no good as i dont use Amazon.

Thanks

I sold all my m4/3 gear and got a D500 and Sigma 100-400 for my birding but only have the one lens,i was looking to buy a couple of lenses but i miss my EM10MK11 so thinking of buying this kit instead while they are still available.

http://www.wexphotovideo.com/olympu...14-42mm-lens-and-40-150mm-lens-black-1579588/

Now its my understanding Olympus dont supply lens hoods and the ones they sell are expensive, does any one have any links to ebay units that are good quality for these lenses,Amazon links are no good as i dont use Amazon.

Thanks
I use idealo to find items at the best prices.

https://www.idealo.co.uk/cat/5012F1208925/lens-accessories.html?q=Lens+hood+olympus

It lists all the sellers in price order. Amazon sometimes has the best price, but often not.

Anyway good for you for not using Amazon.

Last edited:

Thanks

The JJC lens hoods should be OK as alternatives:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JJC-Lens-...073778?hash=item3aad72a0b2:g:dLwAAOSw3ydVmfdt
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JJC-Metal...452996?hash=item3ce4ab0d04:g:r5oAAOSwDk5TxiCe

Can't vouch for these specific eBay sellers as I haven't used them but their feedback looks decent enough; any JJC hoods I've personally purchased have been through Amazon.

Still getting to know my EM1ii but still very impressed with it.

One from a recent TP meet, this is Paddy's Hole.

Nice there.

We stayed in a Mobile Home for the night and on arriving there was around 25 already there :)

Cheers.

Three Little Birds by aNdy sHeader, on Flickr

That’s fab, saw it on my phone yesterday and it was nice but on a bigger screen it’s even better!

Cheers Ned - shame the p12-32 has so much distortion at 12mm otherwise it'd be perfect ( been spoiled by the 12-40 ). The e-m1 got a good soaking, shame it didn't fall in as I could do with a new one :)

Last edited:
Nice set of shots and you even got Victoria pier without fishermen on it.

Thanks
Wex have that bundle as an Open Box used. My E-M10 Mki was OB from Wex - it had a couple of hundred exposures but was complete and mint and I was able to register with MyOlympus for the full warranty (not that I needed it).
http://www.wexphotovideo.com/olympu...mm-ez-lens-and-40-150mm-lens-blac-us-1636916/

Got a chance to work from home today. Popped out into the garden to try and practice Macro. Pretty windy unfortunately which was no ideal try to focus manually whilst handholding with a moving spider web, but enough of my excuses, this is the best I got. Simple B&W convertion. EM5II and 60mm Macro.

Tlf4T7heehHeC-NjKRPfIYkghux8FGTa2nDE0CZF5o4c6Y3oHuhTLz0pcOJeG1tLPs_jbCE1J8IOD4lzkAyDUWeOZfEjgY5yeRzGeklGJTzx2J0pAMzM1hZZJ27BK0ATdkgjnYYyRKGj9givgpGv25Ez_URUcp_-LSrzguOtM484Ue7Z2odBgt00jFpd7iy7tlM0RkQCsk4uopWSoeC4Cex9MQpMwDTCLPEOHi9H6_adSfRfyD4mtFMzJvmMx4Elsuk1BN7FiTni0Kcz9hnDjKRQVlp6TxVvl9IfuykL5GbE0Wl4IkpGmkAfTcCL8v7ljYOAkUYg7iwxEmfIqq-nHUu3rwuGgi_5-f9H3A-lo_Cku2sqpLCA581V5N-tGfrJ4Aj2i1em4kPsMWTSNsgxrcj7xwjDTqjY6QWBla4eTqxgNL5UoUND44V6UIqww5y8rQcdPJfKd5QTJUUepb0gl0tjUHNI_vxKAgNQwIOEsz6p8KqwibA4L-pnDiM4aGyPcKkIdL5QpqW-z-RqbBPOVx2uTJX004rNX9DzoxAqa57ip4e_MdZrOHsVrFR7929gdpHlvXij4YCFa1cRUz5how9G8k5z3n37rJTnFo78mQU=w850-h637-no

Got a chance to work from home today. Popped out into the garden to try and practice Macro. Pretty windy unfortunately which was no ideal try to focus manually whilst handholding with a moving spider web, but enough of my excuses, this is the best I got. Simple B&W convertion. EM5II and 60mm Macro.

Tlf4T7heehHeC-NjKRPfIYkghux8FGTa2nDE0CZF5o4c6Y3oHuhTLz0pcOJeG1tLPs_jbCE1J8IOD4lzkAyDUWeOZfEjgY5yeRzGeklGJTzx2J0pAMzM1hZZJ27BK0ATdkgjnYYyRKGj9givgpGv25Ez_URUcp_-LSrzguOtM484Ue7Z2odBgt00jFpd7iy7tlM0RkQCsk4uopWSoeC4Cex9MQpMwDTCLPEOHi9H6_adSfRfyD4mtFMzJvmMx4Elsuk1BN7FiTni0Kcz9hnDjKRQVlp6TxVvl9IfuykL5GbE0Wl4IkpGmkAfTcCL8v7ljYOAkUYg7iwxEmfIqq-nHUu3rwuGgi_5-f9H3A-lo_Cku2sqpLCA581V5N-tGfrJ4Aj2i1em4kPsMWTSNsgxrcj7xwjDTqjY6QWBla4eTqxgNL5UoUND44V6UIqww5y8rQcdPJfKd5QTJUUepb0gl0tjUHNI_vxKAgNQwIOEsz6p8KqwibA4L-pnDiM4aGyPcKkIdL5QpqW-z-RqbBPOVx2uTJX004rNX9DzoxAqa57ip4e_MdZrOHsVrFR7929gdpHlvXij4YCFa1cRUz5how9G8k5z3n37rJTnFo78mQU=w850-h637-no
The MF on the 60mm f2.8 is really slow when you get close

Not bad do you use flash?

Last edited:
The MF on the 60mm f2.8 is really slow when you get close

Not bad do you use flash?

Thanks Alf - no flash, though I realise this would help. Do you have a flash in particular you use \ would recommend with the EM5 for Macro?

You don't need a whole lot of power as you're close to your subjects but you will need to defuse the light or you'll have loads of blown bits. Flash makes a massive difference to macro

Thanks Alf - no flash, though I realise this would help. Do you have a flash in particular you use \ would recommend with the EM5 for Macro?
I now use a Nissin i40 (I was using a Nissin Di466) which is great. Diffusion is necessary I recommend something like this
Macro rigg E M5II by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Her is a shot of a globular springtai about 2.5mm long

Dicyrtomina saundersi by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
You don't need a whole lot of power as you're close to your subjects but you will need to defuse the light or you'll have loads of blown bits. Flash makes a massive difference to macro

I now use a Nissin i40 (I was using a Nissin Di466) which is great. Diffusion is necessary I recommend something like this
Macro rigg E M5II by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Her is a shot of a globular springtai about 2.5mm long

Dicyrtomina saundersi by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Thanks Damian and Alf.

Alf have you extention tubes and a raynox in you set-up also?

@akr

I recomend back button focus for the 60mm then rock method to get the subject in focus the MF is design for people using a tripod on dead or inanimate subjects IMO so even though I have had the 60mm for a while it has hardly had any use. I mostly use a 4/3 fit Sigma 105 f2.8 on a MMF3 with the E-M1 with a grip. I used a lastolite flash cable and a bracket. I have switched to manual flash mode as I missing some moths a they were out of frame with TTL as the system fires a pre flash to check the required light levels for the exposure.

Here is a froghopper with the 60mm only and the Nissin i40 with a different diffuser

Frogghopper by Alf Branch, on Flickr

also with the 60mm

Honey bee 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is the E-M1 with Sigma 105 f2.8 and a pringle tube diffuser which the type of diffuser I used with the i40 recently
Before anyone asks the card shows where 1:1 focus is.

EM1 sigma 105 Mk11 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
@akr

I recomend back button focus for the 60mm then rock method to get the subject in focus the MF is design for people using a tripod on dead or inanimate subjects IMO so even though I have had the 60mm for a while it has hardly had any use. I mostly use a 4/3 fit Sigma 105 f2.8 on a MMF3 with the E-M1 with a grip. I used a lastolite flash cable and a bracket. I have switched to manual flash mode as I missing some moths a they were out of frame with TTL as the system fires a pre flash to check the required light levels for the exposure.

Here is a froghopper with the 60mm only and the Nissin i40 with a different diffuser

Frogghopper by Alf Branch, on Flickr

also with the 60mm

Honey bee 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is the E-M1 with Sigma 105 f2.8 and a pringle tube diffuser which the type of diffuser I used with the i40 recently
Before anyone asks the card shows where 1:1 focus is.

EM1 sigma 105 Mk11 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
Thanks Alf - that's really helpful. I did start doing the rocking back and forth technique for focus in the end as but still lots to learn. Have headed over to the macro section for some further reading up.

Last edited:
Back