Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I've never used an articulating screen, but I know that tilting screens are very handy, i think I'd be a bit lost without that option now. It frustrated me at times when using the xpro1, as I had gotten so used to the X-T1 tilt LCD. Very useful for macro of any kind, especially is you hate tripods and have a knackered back like me :D
Each screen type has it's pros and cons.
There is little wrong with the E-M5I really.

Each screen type has it's pros and cons.
There is little wrong with the E-M5I really.

I can see the flippy-outty ones being useful, probably more so for video, I might find it a bit annoying though - out to the side when shooting macro and low to ground work. I'll probably end up with one [G80/Em5II] if I like the Em5., this is kind of a stop gap tester for me. Looking forward to it though, should be with me tomorrow :)

Last edited:
I can see the flippy-outty ones being useful, probably more so for video, I might find it a bit annoying though - out to the side when shooting macro and low to ground work. I'll probably end up with one [G80/Em5II] if I like the Em5., this is kind of a stop gap tester for me. Looking forward to it though, should be with me tomorrow :)
My issue with the articulating screen is that you have to flip it out to tilt it, and it can sometimes be annoying when you’ve got a sling strap on. I don’t do video and I don’t do selfies, all I want is to tilt up and down.

My issue with the articulating screen is that you have to flip it out to tilt it, and it can sometimes be annoying when you’ve got a sling strap on. I don’t do video and I don’t do selfies, all I want is to tilt up and down.

I'm not sure why they can't come up with a design that allows both, that can tilt up and down but also swing out when desired. I guess it would probably add some bulk to the LCD as it would require extra swivel brackets or whatever.

I'm not sure why they can't come up with a design that allows both, that can tilt up and down but also swing out when desired. I guess it would probably add some bulk to the LCD as it would require extra swivel brackets or whatever.
The Sony A77 is still the best tilt/swivel screen I’ve used. Not sure why other manufacturers haven’t tried to replicate it.

The Sony A77 is still the best tilt/swivel screen I’ve used. Not sure why other manufacturers haven’t tried to replicate it.

Patented most likely, but yup, something much like that would be great, had a peek there, bit mad looking but very functional

Due to much arsing about on my part, and some potential gear buyers, my planned G80 purchase fell through. I had already bought a 25mm 1.7 in preparation for it, so I went ahead and bought an old EM5 just to have something to use the lens with for the time being. Anyone still using the older Em5 here? what should I expect in terms of ISO performance? Being an older model I'm guessing it's not going to blow me away, but if it's fine to 1600 that'll do me.
Bummer about the G80 I know you were looking forward to it. Still the EM5 Mki is a decent camera I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Bummer about the G80 I know you were looking forward to it. Still the EM5 Mki is a decent camera I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Yeah sucks a bit, but I'm not too down over it, I liked that one mostly for the grip and the app looks to be very good. It's just a set back :) now I will have the Fuji and the Olympus with very similar lenses, will be interesting to compare. The 35 1.4 I was selling and the Pan 25 1.7

So, any fast moving bird shots out there? .

Not the best example but these were taken with the Em1ii and the 40-150pro plus 1.4TC. The camera has managed to maintain focus okay. It is also against a fussy background.

Attachments

• B5598546-706B-4954-97C0-3CCE58966A27.jpeg
    B5598546-706B-4954-97C0-3CCE58966A27.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 050B60B3-653C-4067-BAFE-53D01904EAF3.jpeg
    050B60B3-653C-4067-BAFE-53D01904EAF3.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 9B80DE3D-7C7D-4213-9276-8C5EA7119EA9.jpeg
    9B80DE3D-7C7D-4213-9276-8C5EA7119EA9.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Quick noob question for anyone who owns or has owned the Em5 mk1, should you be seeing the stabilization actively do it's thing in photo modes? It is very obvious in video, but I see no difference between on/off when shooting stills.

Quick noob question for anyone who owns or has owned the Em5 mk1, should you be seeing the stabilization actively do it's thing in photo modes? It is very obvious in video, but I see no difference between on/off when shooting stills.

In the custom menu, cog C

"Half Way Rls With IS
Select [On] to enable image stabilization when the shutter
button is pressed halfway"

That way when you half press the shutter button the image in the VF (and rear screen) will be shown stabilised.

Last edited:

"Half Way Rls With IS

That way when you half press the shutter button the image in the VF (and rear screen) will be shown stabilised.

I owe you a pint Sir! cheers :plus1:

No problem Keith, I remember setting it when I had my E-M5.
My current Olys are set up that way too.

Last edited:
The man who made me want to try M43, David Thorpe, has uploaded his comparison between the Em1 mkII and the GH5:

OK sent the 12-40mm back, wasn't happy with the marks on the body for something that was described as excellent by Camera Jungle. Still managed a session with it and whilst I was happy with the quality of the images, it did seem a little large on the EM5 MKII. I do prefer to carry my camera in the hand when walking about and by the end of the day, I felt I had a Popeye arm. So lensless at the moment and seeing as there aren't that many options for a wide zoom, in my price range, I'll maybe have to just go with a couple of primes. I suppose the panny 12-32mm is a budget option, anyone using one on an Olympus body?

Fountains abbey tower by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Jackdaw by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Light Arches by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Last edited:

"Half Way Rls With IS

Amusingly, I was showing the other half how useful photography forums can be as she is interested in ramping up her skills - I've never logged in for over a year and was giving some examples and then stumbled upon this post.

I'm like "hang on, I never even knew that one!" - You learn something new everyday, a virtual pint is heading your way. ;)

Amusingly, I was showing the other half how useful photography forums can be as she is interested in ramping up her skills - I've never logged in for over a year and was giving some examples and then stumbled upon this post.

I'm like "hang on, I never even knew that one!" - You learn something new everyday, a virtual pint is heading your way. ;)

It's strange by default that it is off. A lot of people opt for M43 because of that stabilization, and it's not an obvious option to turn the assist on.

It was on by default on my EM5 mk1 and mk2.

Strange, mine was bought used, but it had been reset to factory settings, I had to input time, date etc. The IBIS assist was on for video but not for stills.

OK sent the 12-40mm back, wasn't happy with the marks on the body for something that was described as excellent by Camera Jungle. Still managed a session with it and whilst I was happy with the quality of the images, it did seem a little large on the EM5 MKII
Nice set of images.

I used the excellent Olympus ECG-2 grip with my E-M5 MkII, it then balanced perfectly with my 12-40 f/2.8

There are lots of standard zoom options for MFT cameras that you could consider http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/standard.html
Top of the pile IMHO are the Oly 12-40 f/2.8 and 12-100 f/4 plus the Lumix 12-35 f/2.8

Last edited:
@damianmkv Thanks for that, it might be a serious contender, as a walk around zoom, do you miss the manual focus ring?

@Greytop I'm thinking about a grip, not usually interested in one for csc's as to some extent it seems to be counter intuitive, but I feel it might work well with the EM5 MKII, especially if I go for another 12-40mm. Hopefully too it will help with accidentally moving the exposure compensation wheel. Olympus one is a little too costly for me though, it would have to be an aftermarket one

Who told you that? ;)

Everyone who's never actually used one. I see it all the time in YT comments, across forums etc, this notion that M43 is crap for shallow DOF, even with bright primes. They love throwing random calculations about using FF as comparison, when realistically, M43 should only be compared to APSC. I've been comparing my m43 25mm 1.7 lens to the Fuji 35mm 1.4, testing both with the same settings on the same subject shot from the same distance. And the 1.7 is only a niggle behind in terms of smoothness in the OOF areas, as the Fuji at F2

Everyone who's never actually used one. I see it all the time in YT comments, across forums etc, this notion that M43 is crap for shallow DOF, even with bright primes. They love throwing random calculations about using FF as comparison, when realistically, M43 should only be compared to APSC. I've been comparing my m43 25mm 1.7 lens to the Fuji 35mm 1.4, testing both with the same settings on the same subject shot from the same distance. And the 1.7 is only a niggle behind in terms of smoothness in the OOF areas, as the Fuji at F2

What I hear/read is that m4/3 is capable of shallow DOF, it's just 'more difficult' to achieve than FF, which I find to be true. You're never going to achieve the same level of shallow DOF for a given framing (assuming you're using a fast lens on both) but it doesn't mean that you can't get it (y)

What I hear/read is that m4/3 is capable of shallow DOF, it's just 'more difficult' to achieve than FF, which I find to be true. You're never going to achieve the same level of shallow DOF for a given framing (assuming you're using a fast lens on both) but it doesn't mean that you can't get it (y)

Of course, but even APSC cannot deliver the same shallow DOF as full frame, we've always known this. But, when it comes to M43, people are quick to jump all over it in comparison to FF, they tend not to do this so much when discussing APSC. I see very little difference thus far in this dept, though I have only tested very briefly. The only real difference I have noticed so far is the noise levels, it certainly creeps in a lot earlier on M43 than APSC. But, it's a different kind of noise, it's ... sandier, rather than mushy. It seems easy enough to work with and doesn't really bother me, I knew this before buying the camera.

On aperture and DOF though, a major point many of them get very wrong is that they seem to think that the aperture on an M43 lens should be doubled to compare to the light gathering of an equivalent FF lens. This is nonsense, the DOF might well be more comparable with double the aperture, but a 2.8 lens is a 2.8 lens when it comes to light gathering, no matter the sensor.

While I'm posting, does the firmware updates for the Em5 make much of a difference? Annoyingly mine came without the usb cable, and I see it has a specific type that none of the million cables I have around the house will fit. I've had to go buy one from a local vendor, should have it in a couple days.

Last edited:
I find APSC delivers a more pleasing DoF at 1.8 for me..i.e. a cheap lens so 35 f1.8 = 25mm f1.4 roughly in FF equivalent. There's not a lot in it, financially, £100-£120 extra used for m43 ? But many might go for the o25 rather than the p25 due to size and reversible hood so then may see a DoF difference

The thing is that some want tiny DoF then 5 seconds later, a shot might require a longer lens so it depends what you shoot / where you are / whether you give 2 hoots what others think.

I agree about the noise, this used to bug me a lot. Pull the shadows up and they turn to mush..but all over processing will fall on its face

I directly compared a very decent APSC 35 1.4 to the cheap as chips P25 1.7 and there was nothing in it. I expected to see significant differences, nope. The 25mm is probably about the best value I'll ever get in a new lens though.

I was using FF just a couple of years back, and I would crop the hell out of, and push and pull shadows and highlights significantly in post. The files were gigantic and really allowed you to go to town ... but! I feel it made me very lazy over time. Shooting small group shots on FF with a 35mm often left tonnes of useless space, but you knew you could heavily crop in later rather than switch to that 50mm that would have gotten a nicer, tighter shot. With M43, and APSC - though maybe not as much, you really want to get it right in cam, I'm trying to keep my crops down to the bare minimum. Just the usual straighten up, crop out edge distractions kind of thing.

Back