Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The focus stacking/bracketing can be set up to work with recycle times for flash

For this kind of thing lighting and exposure are really important and I suggest you have underexposed the first shot of this set. My example shot is a bit on the small side compared to this. The 12-50 or 12-40 would work well enough to shoot your valves.

Have a look here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/

For this type of shot the E-M5ii and the 12-40 with good lighting on a tripod with hi res mode would work well

This is from that comdobtw work looking at on Flickr

Grass and ice by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Beautiful well exposed and detailed shot

Moss: Em5 + Pana 25 1.7
Mossy by K G, on Flickr

Love this Keith I almost pressed the button on buying the 25mm 1.7 Pany y'day to fill the gap on my OMD system between the 17mm & 45mm primes.
But I managed to pick up a ex-demo Oly 30mm macro at a good price:) Im just waiting on delivery.
Looking at the quality of this though I wouldn't rule out one creeping into by systm in the future.:)

Just had this shot in Digital SLR Photography Magazine expert critique section but they put it down as being taken a Bloody Canon 5d and 50mm f1.8 not my E-M5ii and 9-18mm lens I mean why would use a 50mm f1.8 for this. Lets face it back when I boiught a camera with a 50mm f1.8 I could wait to get another lens and stop using it.

Tewet tarn dawn reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Cracking landscape and i would have said straight away it was a wide angle shot just by the perspective.
Sadly to often the camera data printed in magazines isn't correct but i don't think they get a proof reading these days before going to print.
That or the person has a bias for Canon ;):olympus:

I do admit I spend far to much money on gear (it's my one vice)

Your not alone and there are plenty more worse vices to have ;)
I must admit that since going mirrorless Ive felt a certain new enthusiasm for going out and about taking shots.
With either my OMD or Fuji X gear.
My biggest problem is parting with all the gear i have collected over the last 60 odd years
:olympus::fuji::nikon::canon::pentax: in fact most things connected to photography :help:

Love this Keith I almost pressed the button on buying the 25mm 1.7 Pany y'day to fill the gap on my OMD system between the 17mm & 45mm primes.
But I managed to pick up a ex-demo Oly 30mm macro at a good price:) Im just waiting on delivery.
Looking at the quality of this though I wouldn't rule out one creeping into by systm in the future.:)

Cheers :) It's a great little lens the 25 1.7, no doubt there are much sharper lenses out there, [a 45mm is definitely on my list too] but for the money I think it's more than capable for any kind of shooting. It's quiet, which I like, focuses nice and close and is plenty sharp enough for me even wide open. I'd also really like to get some macro going on M43, been eyeing the Oly 60mm. Let us know how you get on with the 30mm ;)

Random photo of the missus, love the default colour tones for Daylight white balance setting, is this the "famous olympus look" ?? (as per another thread.. ;) )

taken with the Panasonic LEICA DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 at f2.8. Taken at ISO 4000!

I personally think this lens is the perfect match for the Oly. Minor sharpening on the right eye (our right) and crop right.
PC300001_Dresser.jpg

Random photo of the missus, love the default colour tones for Daylight white balance setting, is this the "famous olympus look" ?? (as per another thread.. ;) )

taken with the Panasonic LEICA DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 at f2.8. Taken at ISO 4000!

I personally think this lens is the perfect match for the Oly. Minor sharpening on the right eye (our right) and crop right.
View attachment 117739
Yeah, Olly colours can be nice. Any reason you didn’t shoot wide open to get the ISO down, is f2.8 the ‘sweet spot’?

Yeah, Olly colours can be nice. Any reason you didn’t shoot wide open to get the ISO down, is f2.8 the ‘sweet spot’?

Haha, actually I just took the snap and didn't take any notice of the settings at the time (e.g. aperture set from a previous outing and bloody ISO was set to Auto). I tend to shoot most photos with this lens at f1.4 as the bokeh is fairly glorious - was just a mistake on my part.

Haha, actually I just took the snap and didn't take any notice of the settings at the time (e.g. aperture set from a previous outing and bloody ISO was set to Auto). I tend to shoot most photos with this lens at f1.4 as the bokeh is fairly glorious - was just a mistake on my part.
Yeah it does look a nice lens. The reason for my question is that I've been looking at this lens, but I'd intend to shoot wide open and wouldn't want to stop down to f2.8 to get decent results.

Hi all, I'm off to Costa Rica in a few weeks. I don't consider myself much of a wildlife photographer but will always have a go if the opportunity presents itself, so I expect that will be the main focus of my attention while I'm there. I'll be taking an OM-10 mk2 with the kit f4-5.6 14-150, and a pano f3.5 12-32, any suggestions as to what else I should take with me would be greatly appreciated (other than an EM-1 with a 300mm f4 pro, which is well outside my budget which is very limited :() .

A cheap 10 stop and some grads maybe ? I'm not familiar with Costa Rica so don't know if you'll get the opportunity for landscapes..

Hi all, I'm off to Costa Rica in a few weeks. I don't consider myself much of a wildlife photographer but will always have a go if the opportunity presents itself, so I expect that will be the main focus of my attention while I'm there. I'll be taking an OM-10 mk2 with the kit f4-5.6 14-150, and a pano f3.5 12-32, any suggestions as to what else I should take with me would be greatly appreciated (other than an EM-1 with a 300mm f4 pro, which is well outside my budget which is very limited :() .

What's your budget? I'd say possibly a 60mm Macro or some extension tubes if they work with your lenses and would give you something different and can double up as a portrait lens. Very light.

Those lenses will cover most things. Maybe a travel tripod/gorillapod if you’re going to be doing any long exposures. Also you may need to be a little cautious with the humidity as the EM10 and those lenses aren’t weather sealed, although I don’t think it’ll be too bad this time of year tbh.

@damianmkv @akr @snerkler Thanks for the suggestions. Just ordered a gorillapod. The 60mm macro is quite high up my want list but unlikely to happen before I go. I had thought about getting some cheap extension tubes but I not sure of the quality of these, any ideas?

Out of interest, why would you take the 12-35 when you have the 14-150?

A great travel kit is a superzoom (like the 14-150) and a fast prime, something like the Panny 25mm f/1.7 which you can pick up for around £100 second hand would be ideal.

@Nawty The main reason is the size, for street photography and the like it's small and unobtrusive. The EM-10 with this lens will still just about fit in a (largish) pocket.

Yeah it does look a nice lens. The reason for my question is that I've been looking at this lens, but I'd intend to shoot wide open and wouldn't want to stop down to f2.8 to get decent results.

No worries, took this shot around an hour ago taking down the decorations but thought I would use this as an example for you. Jpeg from Raw set at Tungsten lighting, ISO 200, f1.4.. No sharpening, nothing changed. Shutter speed low at 1/13.

P1070001_Light_ResizedTo1024px.jpg

No worries, took this shot around an hour ago taking down the decorations but thought I would use this as an example for you. Jpeg from Raw set at Tungsten lighting, ISO 200, f1.4.. No sharpening, nothing changed. Shutter speed low at 1/13.

View attachment 117944
Thanks, nice bokeh.

The 60mm macro is quite high up my want list but unlikely to happen before I go. I had thought about getting some cheap extension tubes but I not sure of the quality of these, any ideas?
FWIW I had an urge to try macro. I bought a set of FOTGA extension tubes, they worked out about £15 from eBay - they're also available on Amazon

I only really played with them - it's harder than it looks - not sure I'd have the patience to do any macro on living things in the wild - it's very fiddly, don't know if that's just macro in general or using tubes?
Here's a few I shot...
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=35992490@N03&sort=date-taken-desc&text=fotga&view_all=1

This weekend I'm off to Autosport I'll be taking my

EM5 Makr ii with Sigma 19 mm Olympus 12-50 and 40-150 (not sure I'll use the 40-150 but its so light I may as well take it!) Also takig the flash that came wiht the camera.

Any hints or tips as this is the first time I'll be using the camera in anger I would useally take my D750 but want to give the EM5 a go!

ETA really want to get a 25mm 1.7 to go with the above!

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW I had an urge to try macro. I bought a set of FOTGA extension tubes, they worked out about £15 from eBay - they're also available on Amazon

I only really played with them - it's harder than it looks - not sure I'd have the patience to do any macro on living things in the wild - it's very fiddly, don't know if that's just macro in general or using tubes?
Here's a few I shot...
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=35992490@N03&sort=date-taken-desc&text=fotga&view_all=1
It's macro in general imo. Shooting with a DOF less than 1mm can be a royal PITA in anyones book, especially outdoors where the merest hint of a breeze completely ruins the shot :mad::LOL:

This weekend I'm off to Autosport I'll be taking my

EM5 Makr ii with Sigma 19 mm Olympus 12-50 and 40-150 (not sure I'll use the 40-150 but its so light I may as well take it!) Also takig the flash that came wiht the camera.

Any hints or tips as this is the first time I'll be using the camera in anger I would useally take my D750 but want to give the EM5 a go!

Autosport motor show? I'd just take the 12-50mm tbh, although as you say the 40-150mm R is so small and light it's unobtrusive so easy to take. Not sure where you'd use it though, unless they've started doing 'shows' like MPH used to? I'm not sure the flash will be much use tbh, certainly not powerful enough to bounce and direct flash won't look good, and you'll see it reflect off the cars. The IBIS is so good on the Olly that you shouldn't need flash anyway. You could always hire the 12-40mm f2.8 for the extra light gathering ;) TBH you can usually hire it pretty cheap from the Olympus UK Forum (y)

Autosport motor show? I'd just take the 12-50mm tbh, although as you say the 40-150mm R is so small and light it's unobtrusive so easy to take. Not sure where you'd use it though, unless they've started doing 'shows' like MPH used to? I'm not sure the flash will be much use tbh, certainly not powerful enough to bounce and direct flash won't look good, and you'll see it reflect off the cars. The IBIS is so good on the Olly that you shouldn't need flash anyway. You could always hire the 12-40mm f2.8 for the extra light gathering ;) TBH you can usually hire it pretty cheap from the Olympus UK Forum (y)

Thanks @snerkler just waiting for the activation email looks a good forum and theres a 25mm 1.7 fro sale too.......

The Panasonic 25mm f1.7 is a great lens for very little money - second favourite only to the Olympus 17mm f1.8 for me.

No connection with the seller but there's one for sale at £95 in the Olympus UK E-System User Group
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46946

You need to be a member and make a qualifying number of posts but as an Olympus user its an interesting place. Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting to another forum - if so tell me and I'll delete.

Cross posted with the above!

@Downton Mini

Try to use ISO 100 (low) if you can.

Almost no visible noise, I try to use it as often as possible and with the Oly's IBIS as long as the subject doesn't require a fast shutter speed it can be used quite a bit.

@Downton Mini

Try to use ISO 100 (low) if you can.

Almost no visible noise, I try to use it as often as possible and with the Oly's IBIS as long as the subject doesn't require a fast shutter speed it can be used quite a bit.
Interesting, you'd expect this to have equal/more noise than the native 200, must try this myself (y) Any idea if it has any impact on dynamic range?

Here's a few I shot...
Macro is never easy however you try it.

Have a look here
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/index.php?threads/551944/

Interesting, you'd expect this to have equal/more noise than the native 200, must try this myself (y) Any idea if it has any impact on dynamic range?
The reason 200 is native is because it gives the best dynamic range. At 100 the highlights are more liable to clip so more care is needed.

@damianmkv @akr @snerkler Thanks for the suggestions. Just ordered a gorillapod. The 60mm macro is quite high up my want list but unlikely to happen before I go. I had thought about getting some cheap extension tubes but I not sure of the quality of these, any ideas?

Cheap tubes are OK for a Zuiko 60mm f2.8

Macro rigg E M5II by Alf Branch, on Flickr

They are not sturdy enough for a heavier lens t like a Sigma 105 f2.8

Macro-rig by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Back